Catholic Hospitals Putting Religious Freedom Ahead of Medical Ethics

Tell us more about all of those secular hospitals that pushed abortion on women when there was no medical necessity. Lets hear it.

You haven't heard any stories of the medical community encouraging women who test positive for a possible Downs Syndrome baby to abort? Or, do you consider aborting due to Downs Syndrome a medical necessity?

Encouraging or advising? Encouraging or letting them know it's an option? In any case it matters little whether or not I consider it a medical necessity. What matters is that the pregnant woman is fully informed and is given the entire range of options, including the CHOICE to abort.

Let me start by saying that this is not intended to bash Catholics or religious freedom. It is a much needed look at what happens when the concept of religious freedom is taken too far.

My feeling that if people believe that their religion prevents them from providing certain kinds of care, they simply should not be medical professionals and that goes for any religion, not just Catholics. This is what is happening and, not surprisingly, the Trump Administration is working to make the problem worse

Here's What Happens When A Catholic Hospital Won't Try To Save You | HuffPost

Selected excerpts

The Trump administration is poised to hand religious conservatives another victory: a slew of new federal rules that would give religious health care providers wide latitude to refuse to treat patients or perform procedures if doing so would violate their religious beliefs.

Some of the most powerful hospital networks in the country have lobbied for these “conscience” rules, claiming they shouldn’t fear a legal risk for practicing medicine according to their religious beliefs. But those same hospital networks are already using religious justifications to place women in life-threatening situations with impunity, documents obtained by HuffPost show.

Here are some examples of the insanity that is taking place

At a hospital owned by Ascension, the largest Catholic hospital network in the country and a staunch proponent of a rule that would give nearly any health care worker the right to refuse care, doctors refused to intervene as a woman was undergoing a life-threatening miscarriage because they believed that doing so would be the same as performing an abortion, the documents show. Instead, they carted her out to the hospital parking lot so a relative could drive her to a different emergency room, where she underwent a massive blood transfusion and emergency surgery.

Ascension, which operates more than 150 hospitals according to these same religious principles, also runs a hospital where doctors refused to perform a tubal ligation, even though the patient was at risk of dying if she ever became pregnant again. And at hospitals controlled by Trinity Health, a network that manages nearly 100 care centers around the Midwest, multiple women have accused doctors of withholding emergency medicine because it violated their prohibitions on certain kinds of reproductive health care.

Another example

..............on Oct. 25, 2012, when a woman arrived at St. John Hospital and Medical Center of Detroit in an ambulance. The woman was between 17 and 23 weeks pregnant — a point where an infant would not survive outside the womb — and in the midst of a miscarriage. Her condition was life-threatening and indicated that she needed an emergency termination to prevent the risk of bleeding to death, according to a complaint later filed by a medical staffer at another hospital.

There is much more but you get the idea. Religious hypocrisy concerning the sanctity of life, Medical professionals violating their vow to do no harm, and the Trump Administration enabling them for evangelical vote.

So don't go to one, faggot. You should thank me for solving your problems for you.

Encouraging or advising? Encouraging or letting them know it's an option? In any case it matters little whether or not I consider it a medical necessity. What matters is that the pregnant woman is fully informed and is given the entire range of options, including the CHOICE to abort.

Then they are free to find a medical professional who is willing to abort.

Documenting would be to compare all Catholic hospitals with each other and then comparing them to non-Catholic hospitals
Comparing them for what.? To see how many secular hospitals put women at risk of death because of religious beliefs?
Comparing them to women who wanted to keep their babies but secular hospitals wanted to abort. That's what I gathered his point was.

You should be so lucky to be at a Catholic hospital at the end of your life.
Tell us more about all of those secular hospitals that pushed abortion on women when there was no medical necessity. Lets hear it.
I wouldn't know anything about that. I was telling you what I thought Meriweather's point was. Ask him.

I wouldn't know anything about that. I was telling you what I thought Meriweather's point was. Ask him.

My overall point is that TheProgressivePatriot quoted an anecdote from a source unfriendly to the Catholic faith, and labeled it "documentation." From there he jumped to a number of conclusion that simply aren't true. Catholic policy is NOT to ever let the mother die. Research into what places the mother's life in actual danger shows these events are a rarity and that the Catholic faith does not even refer to the resultant death of the unborn as an "abortion." Some might say "semantics" and that's fine, but the Church calls it saving the life of the mother, not as killing the unborn.

Every single medical facility, whether Catholic, secular, or adamantly pro-abortion are going to have accounts (anecdotes) and even lawsuits when a procedure results in the maiming or death of the patient. To then use such anecdotes as the reason to shut down all Catholic hospitals, all secular hospitals, or even all abortion clinics is ludicrous.

If TheProgressivePatriot wants to change Catholic policy, then at the very least he should familiarize himself with what Catholic policy actually is. And, Catholic policy is not to let the mother die. Period.

Let me start by saying that this is not intended to bash Catholics or religious freedom. It is a much needed look at what happens when the concept of religious freedom is taken too far.
Congress shall make NO LAW respecting an establishment of religion.

It's not for the government to decide what is or is not religious. Period.

It's not for the government to be suborning discrimination, especially discrimination that puts women's lives at risk, in the name of religious freedom .Period

My overall point is that TheProgressivePatriot quoted an anecdote from a source unfriendly to the Catholic faith, and labeled it "documentation." From there he jumped to a number of conclusion that simply aren't true. Catholic policy is NOT to ever let the mother die. Research into what places the mother's life in actual danger shows these events are a rarity and that the Catholic faith does not even refer to the resultant death of the unborn as an "abortion." Some might say "semantics" and that's fine, but the Church calls it saving the life of the mother, not as killing the unborn.

Every single medical facility, whether Catholic, secular, or adamantly pro-abortion are going to have accounts (anecdotes) and even lawsuits when a procedure results in the maiming or death of the patient. To then use such anecdotes as the reason to shut down all Catholic hospitals, all secular hospitals, or even all abortion clinics is ludicrous.

If TheProgressivePatriot wants to change Catholic policy, then at the very least he should familiarize himself with what Catholic policy actually is. And, Catholic policy is not to let the mother die. Period.
I responded to this tripe already and stand by it.

There is nothing tripe about it. Meriweather has accurately stated Catholic policy on this matter.

Abortion and Double Effect | Catholic Answers

It's not for the government to be suborning discrimination, especially discrimination that puts women's lives at risk, in the name of religious freedom .Period
It's none of the goverment's business in the first place. What part of NO LAW are you having trouble comprehending?

No one is asking you--or anyone--to follow The Way Christ taught. Each person is free to go their own way and practice their own practices. It is very simple. Don't insist Catholics follow your way. There are many other medical facilities around who will be more than happy to do abortions. Why the need to change Catholics into abortionists? (Right. There is no need.)

It's none of the goverment's business in the first place. What part of NO LAW are you having trouble comprehending?
It is Trump's Administration the seems to be having trouble with NO LAW by writing rules that make it more difficult to sue Catholic Hospitals fort their abuses of religious freedom in violation of their mandate to do no harm, as well as federal law.

My feeling that if people believe that their religion prevents them from providing certain kinds of care, they simply should not be medical professionals and that goes for any religion, not just Catholics. This is what is happening and, not surprisingly, the Trump Administration is working to make the problem worse

Selected excerpts

The Trump administration is poised to hand religious conservatives another victory: a slew of new federal rules that would give religious health care providers wide latitude to refuse to treat patients or perform procedures if doing so would violate their religious beliefs.

Some of the most powerful hospital networks in the country have lobbied for these “conscience” rules, claiming they shouldn’t fear a legal risk for practicing medicine according to their religious beliefs. But those same hospital networks are already using religious justifications to place women in life-threatening situations with impunity, documents obtained by HuffPost show.

At a hospital owned by Ascension, the largest Catholic hospital network in the country and a staunch proponent of a rule that would give nearly any health care worker the right to refuse care, doctors refused to intervene as a woman was undergoing a life-threatening miscarriage because they believed that doing so would be the same as performing an abortion, the documents show. Instead, they carted her out to the hospital parking lot so a relative could drive her to a different emergency room, where she underwent a massive blood transfusion and emergency surgery.

Ascension, which operates more than 150 hospitals according to these same religious principles, also runs a hospital where doctors refused to perform a tubal ligation, even though the patient was at risk of dying if she ever became pregnant again. And at hospitals controlled by Trinity Health, a network that manages nearly 100 care centers around the Midwest, multiple women have accused doctors of withholding emergency medicine because it violated their prohibitions on certain kinds of reproductive health care.

Another example

..............on Oct. 25, 2012, when a woman arrived at St. John Hospital and Medical Center of Detroit in an ambulance. The woman was between 17 and 23 weeks pregnant — a point where an infant would not survive outside the womb — and in the midst of a miscarriage. Her condition was life-threatening and indicated that she needed an emergency termination to prevent the risk of bleeding to death, according to a complaint later filed by a medical staffer at another hospital.

There is much more but you get the idea. Religious hypocrisy concerning the sanctity of life, Medical professionals violating their vow to do no harm, and the Trump Administration enabling them for evangelical vote.

The quotes are all based only on the complaint documents in the lawsuits, not on anything that has been substantiated yet.
Right, they just made all of this shit up. Huff Post= fake news

Guilty until proven innocent, comrade?

The LGBT community has praised the 'historic' abortion referendum win in Ireland

GettyImages-962746190_640x345_acf_cropped.jpg

TWO thumbs in the eye of the Catholic Cult

Selected excerpts

Another example

The quotes are all based only on the complaint documents in the lawsuits, not on anything that has been substantiated yet.

No Comrade. The point is that it is a news worthy story put out be a reputable source. Regardless of whether or not the plaintiffs prevail in court, the complaints were made and they are being reported on.

Selected excerpts

Another example

No Comrade. The point is that it is a news worthy story put out be a reputable source. Regardless of whether or not the plaintiffs prevail in court, the complaints were made and they are being reported on.

Sure as hell sounds like you've reached your verdict, comrade.

Selected excerpts

Another example

Sure as hell sounds like you've reached your verdict, comrade.
If you say so:thewave:

Selected excerpts

Another example

They won't. Will it be newsworthy then?

Forum List

Back