Catholic Church gives D.C. ultimatum

it's a matter of public funding to a catholic suborganization that acts as the charity. No one expects catholics to let gays have weddings but they DO expect public money that funds a catholic charity to abide by the same employment requirements as anyone else.

Like I said... don't like the public standard then don't take the public money.

Yeah .... and We need more Conservatives working for The DNC Right. Maybe in Accounting???? You are really making sense.

Que? the DNC what? talk about making sense....

And, again, if you don't like our public discrimination standards then don't hold your hand out for public money. it's as simple as that.

You might find this hard to believe but sometimes, the government comes to churches and asks them to deliver the services - and provides the funding for those services. Why? Because in some circumstances, that is:

1. the most cost effective method of delivering that service
2. the church can be better placed to deliver that service

It's not always about the church having it's hand out for money. Quite often it is the other way around. If a church is already delivering part of the service and the government wants to push more money into it or expand it, then the church may well be the best placed do undertake that work.

Not always as black and white as you appear to 'think'.

Just for the non-Catholics, who think the same sex marriage thing is an issue for the Catholic Church because the Church is anti-gay, the Catholic Church outlines 4 principles for marriage:

You are choose to marry, without external pressure.

You intend to remain together for the rest of your life.

You intend to remain faithful to one another.

Unless the bride is past childbearing age, you intend to have at least one child during the course of your marriage.

Marriage to Catholics is for the procreation of children.

Don't forget the other part of that.

If one of the partners is non-Catholic, the other partner must agree to raise the child(ren) as Catholic.

Immie

Actually, that is not required any longer. It is optional for the couple to decide.

it's a matter of public funding to a catholic suborganization that acts as the charity. No one expects catholics to let gays have weddings but they DO expect public money that funds a catholic charity to abide by the same employment requirements as anyone else.

Yeah .... and We need more Conservatives working for The DNC Right. Maybe in Accounting???? You are really making sense.

And, again, if you don't like our public discrimination standards then don't hold your hand out for public money. it's as simple as that.

I think that there are not enough Conservatives working at The DNC. We need more Conservative People Employed there. I think we should start with Your Accounting Department. Did I stutter?

There are not enough Conservatives teaching at Higher Education Institutes. We should mandate 25%. Let's start with Harvard.

Definitely not enough Pro Lifers at Planned Parenthood. Let's shoot for 50% there.

What is The Conservative presence on the Union Control Boards?.... Thought so.

Can someone explain to me how the second sentence doesn't contradict the first?

I may be wrong on this, but are you even sure that Catholic Charities takes government funding? I don't think they do.

Immie
According to the article they do.

Can someone explain to me how the second sentence doesn't contradict the first?

I may be wrong on this, but are you even sure that Catholic Charities takes government funding? I don't think they do.

Immie
Yes, they do, mostly in the form of grants.

Last edited:

I think that there are not enough Conservatives working at The DNC. We need more Conservative People Employed there. I think we should start with Your Accounting Department. Did I stutter?

There are not enough Conservatives teaching at Higher Education Institutes. We should mandate 25%. Let's start with Harvard.

Definitely not enough Pro Lifers at Planned Parenthood. Let's shoot for 50% there.

What is The Conservative presence on the Union Control Boards?.... Thought so.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::woooosh:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

That is the (excellent) point you made going right over shogun's pointy little head. :D

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Maybe the District told them they didn't give a flying fuck about their ban on Halloween. ;)
They banned Halloween? I didn't know that. However, the District, with braintrusts such as Marion Barry on board, has no right to tell the diocese what to do.

Frankly, the council should consider themselves lucky that the diocese is even addressing this with a reverse threat. Personally, I wouldn't have said a thing then nailed the council if this passed with a suit for being grossly unconstitutional.

Of course, the Church didn't 'ban' Halloween, it reminded its congragation that Halloween is not compatible with the Church doctrine. I've heard this pretty much every year since I was a kid.

And, I suspect that the poor will not suffer from any withdrawal of funding - the Church will just find another way of helping the same people. So the City might lose the funding but the poor will not suffer. The Catholic Church is noted for being quite kind to poor people. Makes me laugh how people rant about the politics - but I often wonder how much time these ranters give to help the less fortunate.

Really? When did they change that? I went to catholic elementary schools in the 50's, and Halloween was the only day we could forego our uniforms and wear Halloween costumes.

Normally I don't agree with the catholic church on anything, but in this instance, it's their money to do with what they want. Too many churches aren't standing behind their beliefs on many issues, including this one.

WHY do people act surprised when the Roman Catholic Church .....

....FOLLOWS CATHOLIC DOCTRINE?

I don't get that.

Would we be surprised if Moslems acted Moslem????

Would we be surprised if Baptists acted Baptist?

Would we be surprised if Jews acted Jewish?

Would we be surprised if Buddhists acted Buddhist?

Would we be surprised if Seventh Day Adventists acted Seventh Day Adventist?

NO?

So why do people get their panties in a bunch and accuse the RCC of "issuing ultimatums" or "throwing their weight around" when the Church simply wants to uphold it's centuries old religious beliefs?

Why do some get their undies in a bunch because the RCC won't hire people who do not honor or recognize the RCC religious beliefs? WHY would such people *even want* to work for the RCC anyway?

Inquiring minds want to know. :eusa_doh:

Speaking just for me, I am not surprised when a Christian organization such as the Catholic Church or Catholic Charities follow church doctrine... however, I am surprised when church doctrine appears to contradict the teachings God.

Immie

PS: My denomination (Luthern Church, Missouri Synod) is no less guilty.

Last edited:
This would be an Inconventient Truth for Dogbert.

He's not only America hating, but he hates "his church" as well.

:eusa_naughty:

Shouldn't you be busy with the dreams of gallows and a white America dancing in your head? I figured that's what you racists spent your free time doing.

They banned Halloween? I didn't know that. However, the District, with braintrusts such as Marion Barry on board, has no right to tell the diocese what to do.

Frankly, the council should consider themselves lucky that the diocese is even addressing this with a reverse threat. Personally, I wouldn't have said a thing then nailed the council if this passed with a suit for being grossly unconstitutional.

Of course, the Church didn't 'ban' Halloween, it reminded its congragation that Halloween is not compatible with the Church doctrine. I've heard this pretty much every year since I was a kid.

And, I suspect that the poor will not suffer from any withdrawal of funding - the Church will just find another way of helping the same people. So the City might lose the funding but the poor will not suffer. The Catholic Church is noted for being quite kind to poor people. Makes me laugh how people rant about the politics - but I often wonder how much time these ranters give to help the less fortunate.

Really? When did they change that? I went to catholic elementary schools in the 50's, and Halloween was the only day we could forego our uniforms and wear Halloween costumes.

Normally I don't agree with the catholic church on anything, but in this instance, it's their money to do with what they want. Too many churches aren't standing behind their beliefs on many issues, including this one.

So did we, however, it has always been a fact that the Church itself disapproves of Halloween.

So did we, however, it has always been a fact that the Church itself disapproves of Halloween.
It is no fact at all. Thanks for playing.

:lol: Of course they do...that's why they are hypocrites.

Wrong again Ravi:):):):):). I believe They request Abstinence, and take Confession. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Then why are the upset that they might have to give their gay employees spousal benefits?

I'll get back to you on that. I suspect that if the Insurance Laws were worded differently, that might resolve the issue. Consider Self, Spouse, and Children, if instead the category was Self, & Household, and that applied to IRS Dependants, under Joint Return as well.

Immie
Yes, they do, mostly in the form of grants.

Don't have time to review all that, but I didn't see anything that said government funding. I am not sure it is not there, but I used to work for a Jewish Community Center. We used to get grants too... from places like United Way. United Way is not government funding.

Again, not saying you are wrong, but I am still not certain that they get government funding.

Immie

PS Thank you for the link.

Last edited:

Shouldn't you be busy with the dreams of gallows and a white America dancing in your head? I figured that's what you racists spent your free time doing.

It's comments like that which make me prejudiced against Humans. There is hope yet.

The vigil of this feast is popularly called "Hallowe'en" or "Halloween".

Solemnity celebrated on the first of November. It is instituted to honour all the saints, known and unknown, and, according to Urban IV, to supply any deficiencies in the faithful's celebration of saints' feasts during the year.

In the early days the Christians were accustomed to solemnize the anniversary of a martyr's death for Christ at the place of martyrdom. In the fourth century, neighbouring dioceses began to interchange feasts, to transfer relics, to divide them, and to join in a common feast; as is shown by the invitation of St. Basil of Caesarea (397) to the bishops of the province of Pontus. Frequently groups of martyrs suffered on the same day, which naturally led to a joint commemoration. In the persecution of Diocletian the number of martyrs became so great that a separate day could not be assigned to each. But the Church, feeling that every martyr should be venerated, appointed a common day for all. The first trace of this we find in Antioch on the Sunday after Pentecost. We also find mention of a common day in a sermon of St. Ephrem the Syrian (373), and in the 74th homily of St. John Chrysostom (407). At first only martyrs and St. John the Baptist were honoured by a special day. Other saints were added gradually, and increased in number when a regular process of canonization was established; still, as early as 411 there is in the Chaldean Calendar a "Commemoratio Confessorum" for the Friday after Easter. In the West Boniface IV, 13 May, 609, or 610, consecrated the Pantheon in Rome to the Blessed Virgin and all the martyrs, ordering an anniversary. Gregory III (731-741) consecrated a chapel in the Basilica of St. Peter to all the saints and fixed the anniversary for 1 November. A basilica of the Apostles already existed in Rome, and its dedication was annually remembered on 1 May. Gregory IV (827-844) extended the celebration on 1 November to the entire Church. The vigil seems to have been held as early as the feast itself. The octave was added by Sixtus IV (1471-84).
CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: All Saints' Day

It's comments like that which make me prejudiced against Humans. There is hope yet.

Ignore doggie's comments.

They say WAY more about him than me.

WAY more. And it's not good.

Forum List

Back