Catholic Church gives D.C. ultimatum

Under the bill, headed for a D.C. Council vote next month, religious organizations would not be required to perform or make space available for same-sex weddings. But they would have to obey city laws prohibiting discrimination against gay men and lesbians.

Can someone explain to me how the second sentence doesn't contradict the first?

it's a matter of public funding to a catholic suborganization that acts as the charity. No one expects catholics to let gays have weddings but they DO expect public money that funds a catholic charity to abide by the same employment requirements as anyone else.

Like I said... don't like the public standard then don't take the public money.

catholic charities in boston got out of the adoption business because they refused to let gays adopt which is against the law. to my knowledge, money had nothing to do with it and cath charities still does other charitable work.

Catholic Charities stuns state, ends adoptions - The Boston Globe

i don't agree with them on this and other issues, btw, which is why i left the catholic church.

How do you even come up with this crap? You are worse than a tabloid sometimes.

Crap? What are you talking about? What did I say that's not true?

I am Conservative, I am Religious, I care about People, regardless of their income or sexual preference. I have no interest in making anyone miserable.There is enough misery here already.
The rest of your accusations against the Church I ask You to document the claims. Do You have Links?

CNN.com - Draft survey: 4,450 priests accused of sex abuse - Feb. 17, 2004

Abuse by Clergy Is Not Just a Catholic Problem - The New York Times

Under the bill, headed for a D.C. Council vote next month, religious organizations would not be required to perform or make space available for same-sex weddings. But they would have to obey city laws prohibiting discrimination against gay men and lesbians.

Can someone explain to me how the second sentence doesn't contradict the first?

it's a matter of public funding to a catholic suborganization that acts as the charity. No one expects catholics to let gays have weddings but they DO expect public money that funds a catholic charity to abide by the same employment requirements as anyone else.

Like I said... don't like the public standard then don't take the public money.
And, the Church is well within the federal law if they want to discriminate whom they employ. City regs don't matter as the District's ultimate authority is the federal government (unlike other municipalities).

Last edited:

I am Conservative, I am Religious, I care about People, regardless of their income or sexual preference. I have no interest in making anyone miserable.There is enough misery here already.
The rest of your accusations against the Church I ask You to document the claims. Do You have Links?

The Issue here as I see it is Transparency. Had this been out in the open, more People would have been prepared and watchful, less would have been hurt, the Church should have been out in the open, full cooperation with Investigating Authorities, and when confirmed, the Congregation and the Public. The Position of trust, clearly violated and abused Innocents.
John Jay is a Good School, The Survey a Public Service. Human Nature Requires checks and balances.

From Your Link.
More than half of the accused priests had only one allegation against them. Nearly 25 percent, or 1,112 priests, had two or three allegations, and almost 13 percent, or 578 priests, had four to nine allegations, according to the draft report. Nearly 3 percent, or 133 of the priests, had 10 or more allegations.

The report said that 6,700 of the 11,000 allegations were investigated and substantiated, and another 1,000 were unsubstantiated. The remaining 3,300 were not investigated because the priests involved had died by the time the allegation was made.

The director of the Survivors Network of Those Abused by Priests said Monday that the survey's numbers are low.

"Bishops have tried to hide this for years, so there is no reason to believe all of a sudden they would change their ways," David Clohessy said. "The only prudent thing to do is to assume this is not the entire truth. This is a survey, not a report or investigation."

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/02/16/church.abuse/

:cuckoo:

If the RCC is SO bad.....why in the hell do Gays want their approval and acceptance so badly that they would *force themselves* on an unwilling RCC? I've never understood this "child molester" or "priest sex abuse" argument....

If someone/something rejects me (and/or offends me so badly), I steer clear--rather than trying to force them to change their ways and accept me.

What gives?? Can someone explain this ridiculous argument?

Because RCC priests allegedly abused children, the RCC should be forced to accept Gay employees and Gay Marriage?

Huh?

If the RCC is SO bad.....why in the hell do Gays want their approval and acceptance so badly that they would *force themselves* on an unwilling RCC? I've never understood this "child molester" or "priest sex abuse" argument....

If someone/something rejects me (and/or offends me so badly), I steer clear--rather than trying to force them to change their ways and accept me.

Because RCC priests allegedly abused children, the RCC should be forced to accept Gay employees and Gay Marriage?

Huh?

How is gays havging the right to get married forcing anything on you? Do you even know any gays?

The Christian Conservatives are so worried about a very tiny percentage of the population. It has to be one of the most dumb things imaginable.

Just leave gays alone. If they want to "get married" and live in peace, turn the other cheek.

Better to concentrate on the "divorce" rate which hovers around 50%. The fact that conservatives will get married three or four times and then want to protect the "sanctity" of marriage is a hoot.

Catholics must lose their tax except status now!

So You are Declaring War on The Constitution?

Reduce Us further into third world status, Ass for brains. The more of the Founding Principles You Deny and defecate on, the more You will pay. Statist Piece of Shit.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFIqqXVAy_g]YouTube - IRELANDS SHAME-THE CATHOLIC CHURCH AND CHILD ABUSE.[/ame]

Huh?

How is gays havging the right to get married forcing anything on you? Do you even know any gays?

The Christian Conservatives are so worried about a very tiny percentage of the population. It has to be one of the most dumb things imaginable.

Just leave gays alone. If they want to "get married" and live in peace, turn the other cheek.

Better to concentrate on the "divorce" rate which hovers around 50%. The fact that conservatives will get married three or four times and then want to protect the "sanctity" of marriage is a hoot.

My advice is come up with a New Word, unique to what Your Union is, find agreement within Your Own Community, and move forward with that.

Huh?

Uhmmm....gay marriage is not in keeping with RCC doctrine. If the RCC wants to have contracts with the City of DC, then the RCC must follow DC's laws--including not discriminating against gays.

Ahem, and....the legal right to marry and the so-called "right" to marry in the RCC are two separate things. One has nothing to do with the other.

The government has NO business telling a CHURCH (remember that separation thing) who they can and cannot marry or employ!

As for do I know any gays? Do a cousin, uncle and BFF count?

Catholics would be *happy* to "just leave gays alone". Gays need to stop cramming their so-called "rights" down the throats of Catholics and the RCC.

If gays want to get married in a church, they need to find one that will marry them. It's not the RCC. Not likely ever will be either.

I don't know about the divorce stats for Catholics, but I would suspect they're not as high as the divorce rates of the general public, due to our historical aversion to divorce.

But, as I am a divorced Catholic, I extend you my humble apologies for leaving a cheating son of a bitch. I know I should have sucked it up and watched him carry on with our next door neighbor while I cared for our newborn twins. That I didn't do that is of great offense to you, obviously, and I am personally disgusted and horrified that I let you down so badly.

As such, you should know that I have only been married once. And....I didn't get married in the RCC. It was a civil ceremony--not a church ceremony.

Heck, even my Church doesn't recognize my marriage. ;)

Last edited:

Huh?

My advice is come up with a New Word, unique to what Your Union is, find agreement within Your Own Community, and move forward with that.

That's all *I'm* saying....

I have NO personal objection if two people of the same sex want to be together forever
(or as long as they can stand each other, whichever comes first). ;)

Just come up with a name all their own.

MARRIAGE is already taken.

MARRIAGE is between a man and a woman. Period.

MARRIAGE will *always* represent the union of a man and a woman, with the purpose of forming a family (even if it's only a family of two).

Homosexuals CAN come up with a name that is uniquely *theirs* if they try hard enough. Some of the brightest and most creative people I know are homosexual.

Catholics must lose their tax except status now!

So You are Declaring War on The Constitution?

Reduce Us further into third world status, Ass for brains. The more of the Founding Principles You Deny and defecate on, the more You will pay. Statist Piece of Shit.

No, you misunderstand the poster. It is, apparently, individual Catholics who have exemption from paying tax. 'Catholics' not the 'Catholic Church'. I do hope that terminal stupidity is included under Obama's healthcare policy. Otherwise, there is no hope - the OP will remain stupid for the rest of his/her life.

Forum List

Back