Catholic Church gives D.C. ultimatum

it's a matter of public funding to a catholic suborganization that acts as the charity. No one expects catholics to let gays have weddings but they DO expect public money that funds a catholic charity to abide by the same employment requirements as anyone else.

Like I said... don't like the public standard then don't take the public money.

I may be wrong on this, but are you even sure that Catholic Charities takes government funding? I don't think they do.

Immie
According to the article they do.

Have not had the opportunity to read the full article, but that does not mean the article is accurate. A grant is not always government related.

Immie

I may be wrong on this, but are you even sure that Catholic Charities takes government funding? I don't think they do.

Immie

Have not had the opportunity to read the full article, but that does not mean the article is accurate. A grant is not always government related.

Immie
No, but I'm pretty sure they've received money through faith-based initiatives but I've been too lazy to google it.

Immie
No, but I'm pretty sure they've received money through faith-based initiatives but I've been too lazy to google it.

Can't blame you there... me too! :D

Also, I'm confused, any funding through faith based iniatives would have nothing to do with funding from the District of Columbia, right?

Is this dispute over a District law or Federal law?

Immie

Last edited:

Immie
Yes, they do, mostly in the form of grants.

Don't have time to review all that, but I didn't see anything that said government funding. I am not sure it is not there, but I used to work for a Jewish Community Center. We used to get grants too... from places like United Way. United Way is not government funding.

Again, not saying you are wrong, but I am still not certain that they get government funding.

Immie

PS Thank you for the link.
The government funding is in there, when you get the time. And, of course, they've separated out other types of grants.

Now, for those unfamiliar with government granting practices, there is rarely any stipulation that the grant monies be contingent on the institution/organization receiving the monies actually operate under the same rules and regulations of the granting agency. Hell, we give grants to the Iranian government, even (for water treatment - we're such humanitarians ;)).

From the article

Catania, who said he has been the biggest supporter of Catholic Charities on the council, said he is baffled by the church's stance. From 2006 through 2008, Catania said, Catholic Charities received about $8.2 million in city contracts, as well as several hundred thousand dollars' worth this year through his committee.

They are getting paid to perform a service...I guess technically that isn't the same as being funded by the government.

Immie

My Wife works at the Church in a Food Distribution Program. It is Church, Catholic Charities, City, State, and Federally Funded. There are Grants and Programs You are encouraged to Apply for. There are big Doners that are also vendors, like Costco, and others. Think Battle Star Galactica.

Republcians, conservatives, the religious - they care more about making gays lives miserable than they do about helping any poor. Gays are probably 3 to 5% of the population. That means they would be like 00.01% of the marriages.

Better Catholics concentrate on the 50% divorce rate. Better yet, tell them to stay away from the kids. For every boy molested by a Catholic priest, there are 10 girls molested. Only, it's not "news" because it's "normal".

From the article

Catania, who said he has been the biggest supporter of Catholic Charities on the council, said he is baffled by the church's stance. From 2006 through 2008, Catania said, Catholic Charities received about $8.2 million in city contracts, as well as several hundred thousand dollars' worth this year through his committee.

They are getting paid to perform a service...I guess technically that isn't the same as being funded by the government.

From the sounds of this, it is the District not Federal Law and thus as I am reading it Faith Based Initiatives would not apply. Am I right there?

Immie

Republcians, conservatives, the religious - they care more about making gays lives miserable than they do about helping any poor. Gays are probably 3 to 5% of the population. That means they would be like 00.01% of the marriages.

Better Catholics concentrate on the 50% divorce rate. Better yet, tell them to stay away from the kids. For every boy molested by a Catholic priest, there are 10 girls molested. Only, it's not "news" because it's "normal".

How do you even come up with this crap? You are worse than a tabloid sometimes.

Crap? What are you talking about? What did I say that's not true?

From the article

But it IS a reason for the city to look for another contractor. if your local government gave out contracts to companies that refused to hire *******, I assure you, there would be hell to pay and contracts voided.

From the article

From the sounds of this, it is the District not Federal Law and thus as I am reading it Faith Based Initiatives would not apply. Am I right there?

Immie
In this instance, I believe you are! :tongue:

From the article

Immie
In this instance, I believe you are! :tongue:

Heh! I am right 99.9% of the time... now where did I hear that before? :)

Immie

Word up. :clap2::clap2::clap2:

From the article

But it IS a reason for the city to look for another contractor. if your local government gave out contracts to companies that refused to hire *******, I assure you, there would be hell to pay and contracts voided.
Oh, I know...I think the Church is being spiteful and the ones that will suffer will be the poor.

Unless someone quickly fills the void...and since ACORN is not allowed to, I'm not sure who is left. IMO, the right has declared a war on the poor for political reasons. But then again, it is the poors fault they are poor, especially in this economy. :lol:

Crap? What are you talking about? What did I say that's not true?

I am Conservative, I am Religious, I care about People, regardless of their income or sexual preference. I have no interest in making anyone miserable.There is enough misery here already.
The rest of your accusations against the Church I ask You to document the claims. Do You have Links?

From the article

Oh, I know...I think the Church is being spiteful and the ones that will suffer will be the poor.

Unless someone quickly fills the void...and since ACORN is not allowed to, I'm not sure who is left. IMO, the right has declared a war on the poor for political reasons. But then again, it is the poors fault they are poor, especially in this economy. :lol:

God just told me Ravi That You should start Your Own Church. You know best, hands down. Saint Ravi Knows All of the Answers!!!:):):):):)

What many of You miss is that the Grant money, generally goes to buy food, supplies, and materials for distribution.

Forum List

Back