Catholic Church gives D.C. ultimatum

Catholic Church gives D.C. ultimatum on same-sex marriage issue - washingtonpost.com

The Catholic Archdiocese of Washington said Wednesday that it will be unable to continue the social service programs it runs for the District if the city doesn't change a proposed same-sex marriage law, a threat that could affect tens of thousands of people the church helps with adoption, homelessness and health care.

Oh, but it gets more fucked up as to why they are not supporting it:

Under the bill, headed for a D.C. Council vote next month, religious organizations would not be required to perform or make space available for same-sex weddings. But they would have to obey city laws prohibiting discrimination against gay men and lesbians.

Catholic Charities, the church's social services arm, is one of dozens of nonprofit organizations that partner with the District. It serves 68,000 people in the city, including the one-third of Washington's homeless people who go to city-owned shelters managed by the church. City leaders said the church is not the dominant provider of any particular social service, but the church pointed out that it supplements funding for city programs with $10 million from its own coffers.

So, What Would Jesus Do?

Discuss.

And my own personal question:

Is The Catholic Archdiocese of Washington returning to the days of old by trying to strong arm people into believing what they say?

Tell the Catholic church to go to hell.

If the reason they perform social services is to gain influence in government, then they were never compassionate to begin with. Just another group of parasitical radicals that seek power through whatever means they find most accomodating to them.

Last edited:
And I would agree with you although, I would be leary in using "scummy" when discussing the Body of Christ. :D

I think Ravi is so right when she says, "They are going to punish the poor because of something that is beyond the control of poor?"

Immie

Not calling the Body of Christ scummy at all. These are the same people who are making earthly judgments upon others and are allowing others to suffer for things beyond their control. They are essentially trying to play God somewhat.

Ravi is right in this instance certainly.

The District has no business telling the Church what they must do. That seems pretty obvious. IMO, since the District has done this, the diocese is pushing back with this threat. Politics.

The District has no business telling the Church what they must do. That seems pretty obvious. IMO, since the District has done this, the diocese is pushing back with this threat. Politics.

Except the District is not telling the Church to do anything.

Maybe the District told them they didn't give a flying fuck about their ban on Halloween. ;)

Maybe the District told them they didn't give a flying fuck about their ban on Halloween. ;)
They banned Halloween? I didn't know that. However, the District, with braintrusts such as Marion Barry on board, has no right to tell the diocese what to do.

Frankly, the council should consider themselves lucky that the diocese is even addressing this with a reverse threat. Personally, I wouldn't have said a thing then nailed the council if this passed with a suit for being grossly unconstitutional.

The Church is not in the habit of 'bluffing'. They just stick to their doctrine. Anything else would make them hypocritical. Whether you agree with the Church or not is of no importance.... it is their doctrine and that's how they function. It's fundamental doctrines do not change... it's not a flexible faith.

Sure it is, if it wasn't then the first time you talked to your parents they had the right to stone you to death. In fact, if you broke any of the 10 commandments ever, then you should be put to death. So if you say "god damn"? Death.

You should actually go back and read the bible in which the 10 commandments were stated. It's in Deuteronomy and Exodus, just to cut down on your search time.

The church has become more humane because they have figured out that the best way to keep followers is to not kill them. Look at the history of the Catholic Church, it's a dark one.

Would you like to tell me where, in the Cannon Law, it upholds stoning anyone to death? Thanks.

I am aware of the Church's history - I'm a Catholic, born and raised. When to a convent school and everything.

Using Deut and Ex as your 'argument' is making yourself look a fool, btw, Dog.

The Catholic Church is not, any under circumstances, going to support same sex marriage. Just ain't gonna happen. Ever.

The Church is not in the habit of 'bluffing'. They just stick to their doctrine. Anything else would make them hypocritical. Whether you agree with the Church or not is of no importance.... it is their doctrine and that's how they function. It's fundamental doctrines do not change... it's not a flexible faith.

Sure it is, if it wasn't then the first time you talked to your parents they had the right to stone you to death. In fact, if you broke any of the 10 commandments ever, then you should be put to death. So if you say "god damn"? Death.

You should actually go back and read the bible in which the 10 commandments were stated. It's in Deuteronomy and Exodus, just to cut down on your search time.

The church has become more humane because they have figured out that the best way to keep followers is to not kill them. Look at the history of the Catholic Church, it's a dark one.

Would you like to tell me where, in the Cannon Law, it upholds stoning anyone to death? Thanks.

I am aware of the Church's history - I'm a Catholic, born and raised. When to a convent school and everything.

The Catholic Church is not, any under circumstances, going to support same sex marriage. Just ain't gonna happen. Ever.

?

51pduQQnaxL._SS500_.jpg

I never said the Catholic Church is going to support Same Sex Marriage. Once again, you seem to be responding to someone's argument is not mine.

Using Deut and Ex as my argument is not making myself look like a fool. THEY are the place where the 10 commandments come from, but you obviously fail to read. Especially since there are punishments set for breaking the commandments.

And Cannon Law? Are you sure you don't mean CANON law? For someone who was born, raised, and went to a Convent it seems odd you'd spell such a thing wrong. Wasn't the first major thing you spelled wrong in this thread either. Doctrine too.

And I would agree with you although, I would be leary in using "scummy" when discussing the Body of Christ. :D

I think Ravi is so right when she says, "They are going to punish the poor because of something that is beyond the control of poor?"

Immie

Not calling the Body of Christ scummy at all. These are the same people who are making earthly judgments upon others and are allowing others to suffer for things beyond their control. They are essentially trying to play God somewhat.

Some who run Catholic Charities are part of the Body of Christ.

Ravi is right in this instance certainly.

Oh Lord! We both should be careful about saying things like that. We don't want her head to swell. :)

Immie

Indeed. just like they once said about supporting the union of ******* and good white girls and any other example of mixing races.

:rolleyes:

They banned Halloween? I didn't know that. However, the District, with braintrusts such as Marion Barry on board, has no right to tell the diocese what to do.

Frankly, the council should consider themselves lucky that the diocese is even addressing this with a reverse threat. Personally, I wouldn't have said a thing then nailed the council if this passed with a suit for being grossly unconstitutional.

Of course, the Church didn't 'ban' Halloween, it reminded its congragation that Halloween is not compatible with the Church doctrine. I've heard this pretty much every year since I was a kid.

And, I suspect that the poor will not suffer from any withdrawal of funding - the Church will just find another way of helping the same people. So the City might lose the funding but the poor will not suffer. The Catholic Church is noted for being quite kind to poor people. Makes me laugh how people rant about the politics - but I often wonder how much time these ranters give to help the less fortunate.

Of course, the Church didn't 'ban' Halloween, it reminded its congragation that Halloween is not compatible with the Church doctrine. I've heard this pretty much every year since I was a kid.

And, I suspect that the poor will not suffer from any withdrawal of funding - the Church will just find another way of helping the same people. So the City might lose the funding but the poor will not suffer. The Catholic Church is noted for being quite kind to poor people. Makes me laugh how people rant about the politics - but I often wonder how much time these ranters give to help the less fortunate.
So then you do think they are bluffing. :cool:

Indeed. just like they once said about supporting the union of ******* and good white girls and any other example of mixing races.

:rolleyes:

And don't forget their support of slavery.

So then you do think they are bluffing. :cool:

No. I don't think they are bluffing about withdrawing funds. However, the Church is not in the habit of allowing the poor to suffer, politicians yes, the poor, no.

No. I don't think they are bluffing about withdrawing funds. However, the Church is not in the habit of allowing the poor to suffer, politicians yes, the poor, no.

However, in this case, the church is allowing the poor to suffer to strongarm the politicians.

I never said the Catholic Church is going to support Same Sex Marriage. Once again, you seem to be responding to someone's argument is not mine.

Using Deut and Ex as my argument is not making myself look like a fool. THEY are the place where the 10 commandments come from, but you obviously fail to read. Especially since there are punishments set for breaking the commandments.

And Cannon Law? Are you sure you don't mean CANON law? For someone who was born, raised, and went to a Convent it seems odd you'd spell such a thing wrong. Wasn't the first major thing you spelled wrong in this thread either. Doctrine too.

Excellent. Challenge my spelling... Nice. Congrats on that.

Fact is, the Catholic Church doesn't advocate stoning its flock, does it?

You're pissed because the Church doesn't do what you want it do to. Tough. If you're a Catholic, you should be used to having the Church do things that you disagree with. That's life in the Catholic faith.

They aren't gonna support Gay Marriage. End of Conversation. I don't know why the whining about stoning people or poor people suffering has become such an obsession with you but whatever.

Forum List

Back