Carlos Castaneda and hypnotic writing

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
One of the most interesting people that I have briefly encountered this year is Carlos Castaneda. I had never heard of him before. He has a whole system: Tensegrity. Here is a sample:

There are still those that are involved in Tensegrity. I don't know how many because TBH I am not really interested in it. I do know it is enough that I encounter people that ask if anyone else is involved in it and there are additional forums. In fact, I went to a forum before I knew who he was an encountered a thread where the OP had this lengthy post and it was hypnotic. Weirdly, there are a few threads that I have read the OP and everyone is responding with, huh? It's the same feeling.

There is another guy named Joe Vitale who also has some books on hynotic writing. I haven't read any of those. I haven't had (and do not have) any interest in them. Have you encountered hypnotic writing? Have you guys heard of Castaneda?

Last edited:
He's been around for decades; he was big deal in the hippie era. Just another 'guru' among many from those days. Google his 'Best Sellers' from 1968 to 1972. I alwasy assumed he was just another 'New Age' con man ripping off rich hippie stoners and Hollywood brats. I usually cheer those types on. lol

Ever come across the hypno-writing attempts here?

One of the most interesting people that I have briefly encountered this year is Carlos Castaneda. I had never heard of him before. He has a whole system: Tensegrity. Here is a sample:

There are still those that are involved in Tensegrity. I don't know how many because TBH I am not really interested in it. I do know it is enough that I encounter people that ask if anyone else is involved in it and there are additional forums. In fact, I went to a forum before I knew who he was an encountered a thread where the OP had this lengthy post and it was hypnotic. Weirdly, there are a few threads that I have read the OP and everyone is responding with, huh? It's the same feeling.

There is another guy named Joe Vitale who also has some books on hynotic writing. I haven't read any of those. I haven't had (and do not have) any interest in them. Have you encountered hypnotic writing? Have you guys heard of Castaneda?

Cool. Did she turn into a crow? Are you even sure she was there, or for that matter, that you were?

Cool. Did she turn into a crow? Are you even sure she was there, or for that matter, that you were?
I can't even.....

I had never even heard of this guy, the system or the whole shebang.

Ever come across the hypno-writing attempts here?

I wouldn't recognize them if I have; I've never read anything of his for more than a few lines. For all I know he's an excellent writer, but that doesn't mean he isn't also a con artist. Picasso was a con artist, too, and also a great painter, going by his early stuff, before the modern stuff he painted by the dozens a month to swindle 'sophisticates' and Fashionistas with.

I wouldn't recognize them if I have; I've never read anything of his for more than a few lines. For all I know he's an excellent writer, but that doesn't mean he isn't also a con artist. Picasso was a con artist, too, and also a great painter, going by his early stuff, before the modern stuff he painted by the dozens a month to swindle 'sophisticates' and Fashionistas with.
He died in 1993, I think. I think that is probably why I never heard of him. You can encounter some of those threads in the Lifestyle section. They pop up every now and again.

Last edited:

Being a young adult in the 70's, I followed Mr. Castaneda's writings about his experiences with Peyote. One of my favorite books by him was "The Teachings of Don Juan A Yaqui Way of Knowledge". Still in my library to this day.

Very interesting person.

He died in 1993, I think. I think that is probably why I never heard of him. You can encounter some of those threads in the Lifestyle section. They pop up every now and again.
He actually passed away in 1998, I believe.

I can't even.....

I had never even heard of this guy, the system or the whole shebang.
Probably before your time. I am not sure it best described as journey to paranormal, as it started out and aa Castaneda's Masters Thesis in anthropology/ethnography at University of California based on an apprenticeship, mostly in Northern Mexico, under the old man Juan Matus, he came across during research, or possibly drawn together by power, not by happenstance. It kind of depends on how far down the rabbit hole, you are willing to go. The work was good enough for Castenada's Phd and was originally published by (I think) University of California Press, translated into about 17 different languages.
If sampling, you absolutely have to start with The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge. A Seperate Reality and Journey To Ixtlan can get pretty hard, pretty quick without prior knowledge or power, depending on your point of view.
I don't know who you are, but be advised this is the second time this morning this has come up this morning, pretty much out of the blue and power is a funny thing.

Being a young adult in the 70's, I followed Mr. Castaneda's writings about his experiences with Peyote. One of my favorite books by him was "The Teachings of Don Juan A Yaqui Way of Knowledge". Still in my library to this day.

Very interesting person.

Mine to, though not in the downstairs library but in the many boxed packed away in the attack, untouched for years.

Mine to, though not in the downstairs library but in the many boxed packed away in the attack, untouched for years.
I hear you. I've got boxes upon boxes of books stored away as well. When my mother came back to California to live with me, she brought all of the books that she and my dad owned....literally enough to open a small bookstore.

Very interesting person.

Have you tried his methods?

I can't. In order for me to even go there I would have to completely get rid of the stuff I am trying to learn now. I'm not even doing it.
I don't read this often but I came across this earlier.

Probably before your time. I am not sure it best described as journey to paranormal, as it started out and aa Castaneda's Masters Thesis in anthropology/ethnography at University of California based on an apprenticeship, mostly in Northern Mexico, under the old man Juan Matus, he came across during research, or possibly drawn together by power, not by happenstance. It kind of depends on how far down the rabbit hole, you are willing to go. The work was good enough for Castenada's Phd and was originally published by (I think) University of California Press, translated into about 17 different languages.
If sampling, you absolutely have to start with The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge. A Seperate Reality and Journey To Ixtlan can get pretty hard, pretty quick without prior knowledge or power, depending on your point of view.
I don't know who you are, but be advised this is the second time this morning this has come up this morning, pretty much out of the blue and power is a funny thing.
There really is no place to put it. I think he is before my time and I didn't see him as fitting in to religion. I don't remember even hearing his name until very recently.

I don't know who you are or where you fit in to this but we are going to talk about all kinds of cool shit.

There really is no place to put it. I think he is before my time and I didn't see him as fitting in to religion. I don't remember even hearing his name until very recently.

I don't know who you are or where you fit in to this but we are going to talk about all kinds of cool shit.
It is not religion, just a belief system, no supreme being, just power and non-ordinary reality.

It is not religion, just a belief system, no supreme being, just power and non-ordinary reality.
Right. Still doesn't solve where it should go. Have you used this system?

Right. Still doesn't solve where it should go. Have you used this system?
No and yes. You could say have seen or glimpsed, but never had the power to hold the sight. Lots of people have glimpsed and briefly possibly seen in the wilds, but possibly passed it off, glancing away as trick of the eyes and the mind, as "Oh, that's what that really is" and moving on. Who's to say? It supposedly takes power to maintain, and you could not say I was ever on that path, just aware, the path could possibly exist whether it is walked or not. I am definitely not the nagual.

No and yes. You could say have seen or glimpsed, but never had the power to hold the sight. Lots of people have glimpsed and briefly possibly seen in the wilds, but possibly passed it off, glancing away as trick of the eyes and the mind, as "Oh, that's what that really is" and moving on. Who's to say? It supposedly takes power to maintain, and you could not say I was ever on that path, just aware, the path could possibly exist whether it is walked or not. I am definitely not the nagual.

Ok. That makes sense. I don't think the system is crap. I know that there are people that are still working it. I can't say for certain how it works because I haven't tried it. In order for me to learn that system I would have to go in 100 percent and drop what I am trying to learn now. I'm unwilling to do that.

Have you tried his methods?

I can't. In order for me to even go there I would have to completely get rid of the stuff I am trying to learn now. I'm not even doing it.
I don't read this often but I came across this earlier.
Tried those Peyote buttons once, back in the 70's, they just upset my stomach...lol

But, I do believe that HE believed what he chronicled in his stories about Don Juan. As the years have passed and I've thought back, I believe that many of his stories were produced by substance based hallucinations that were vivid to him.

Forum List

Back