"Car" Magazines

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I subscribe to a number of "car" magazines and I probably will continue the subscriptions - they are dirt-cheap - but there are fewer and fewer articles about vehicles that I have any interest in. There's really not much about real CARS anymore in any of them.

The new Ford 'Raptor' F-150? Who gives a shit? It's not even a good TRUCK, for Christ sake, with a 5 foot bed. SUV's, CUV's? Hundred Fifty Thousand dollar sedans? Why would I care? I don't even know anyone who would own such a car. The latest over-priced Porsche 911 or Panamera?

The Chevy Bolt? I would expect to see an article about it in Popular Mechanics, but not Road & Track. The selling point of that vehicle has NO INTEREST to automotive "enthusiasts." It's a fucking appliance.

No one who cares about driving has any interest in a car with a CVT. Period. A pox on Honda for what they are doing with the Civic - once a fine example of an inexpensive DRIVER's car.

There are some excellent cars out there, with great engines, transmissions, suspensions, and other DRIVER-CENTERED features. Why don't they write about them? I don't mind reading about the latest Lincoln Continental or the Genesis cars, but when I read a CAR magazine, I want to see articles about cars that interest people who enjoy driving a car, and not people who want the car to drive them to work while they fuck around with their cellphones.

And don't tell me that today's automatic transmissions are "actually much more efficient than even a well-driven stick shift." I don't care. To me, that's not driving the car, its operating an appliance.

I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. Half of the letters to the editor that are published in the car magazines are people complaining about all the SUV and truck articles.

The editor of "Car & Driver" should be forced to look at the fucking masthead before he assembles the magazine every month. Then maybe he will remember that the magazine is supposed to be about CARS and DRIVING THEM.

Dear editor:
I have a 79 Trans Am and am having trouble with a miss. Any suggestions?

Dear reader:
See if she would rather ride in a 79 Camaro.

Forum List

Back