Question about Florida car titles

Natural Citizen

American Made
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 8, 2016
I don't live in Florida, but I do buy cars from sellers down there and have em shipped to me. So because I don't title and register cars in Florida, I don't know the answer to this question.

When you, a seller who lives in Florida, sells someone a car who also lives in Florida, does the title number change or does the title number stay the same when the new title is issued to the new owner?

Reason I ask is because I have a car I bought down there that had the same Florida title number since 1996, even though the Carfax says that new owners have been reported and titles issued a few times between 1996 and now?

The title number never changed, so I don't know if the car was actually sold or not where it says that new owner was reported or a new title was issued.

So I guess that's a question for people who actually live in Florida and know how they operate down there.

You likely have to go to the DMV and sit for three hours to find out. ;)
Heh heh. Probably.

It's just odd to me is all.

Any time a new owner takes delivery of a vehicle from a seller, a new title is issued with a new title number.

But for some reason, the Florida title number never changed on this particular vehicle, even though the Carfax report says that titles were issued and new owners were previously reported.

Scwewy...

Heh heh. Probably.

Any time a new owner takes delivery of a vehicle from a seller, a new title is issued with a new title number.

But for some reason, the Florida title number never changed on this particular vehicle, even though the Carfax report says that titles were issued and new owners were previously reported.

Scwewy...
Maybe they kept the same tags? :dunno:

I don't live in Florida, but I do buy cars from sellers down there and have em shipped to me. So because I don't title and register cars in Florida, I don't know the answer to this question.

When you, a seller who lives in Florida, sells someone a car who also lives in Florida, does the title number change or does the title number stay the same when the new title is issued to the new owner?

Reason I ask is because I have a car I bought down there that had the same Florida title number since 1996, even though the Carfax says that new owners have been reported and titles issued a few times between 1996 and now?

The title number never changed, so I don't know if the car was actually sold or not where it says that new owner was reported or a new title was issued.

So I guess that's a question for people who actually live in Florida and know how they operate down there.
call Home

Yes, the title number change when registered to a new owner.

Last edited:
Heh heh. Probably.

Scwewy...
Do they use the VIN as the title number?

call Home

I don't know but I don't believe you keep the same tag number from seller to buyer.

I'm talking about the title number. Not the tag number.

But, yeah, that's probably what I'll have to do to figure it out.

I just figured I'd ask here while it was on my mind and since I know there are people on here who live down there and would probably know if they operate any differently in that way.

Forum List

Back