Car advice

Si modo

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fairfax, Virginia
So, I need a new car, preferably a new one, but a slightly used 2008 or 2009 is OK.

Is it wiser to wait until after the New Year to purchase or before for the best deal?

I would think you're likely to find some good deals this time of year. In addition to the weather factor mentioned above, with all the annual Christmas spending people have to do for a variety of items I'd assume it would be slow time for bigger ticket items like cars. So without a lot of folks walking in their doors to buy this time of year an astute buyer might be in the driver's seat.

I once needed a set of tires and it just happened to be a few days before Christmas. Shopped around and took advantage of a really nice deal and commented on it to the sales person. He said it's always a good time to buy tires because people are spending their money on other things during the Christmas season so they're desperate to attract tire buyers.

Lease.

I believe there are going to be so many changes in automotive technology within the next 3 years that whatever you may buy today, will be obsolete much sooner than at any time in the history of autos.

Lease.

I believe there are going to be so many changes in automotive technology within the next 3 years that whatever you may buy today, will be obsolete much sooner than at any time in the history of autos.
Thanks, but I am going to purchase. I hate monthly payments, so I eliminate them as much as possible.

On second thought, what sort of tech changes do you see coming?

Lease.

Thanks, but I am going to purchase. I hate monthly payments, so I eliminate them as much as possible.

On second thought, what sort of tech changes do you see coming?

I agree, I usually buy instead of leasing for the same reasons you do.

But if you try to sell a car AFTER major technological changes take place.....well, imagine trying to sell even a flat screen TV you bought 3 years ago.....you might be lucky if you could give it away!

I see the gas milage to horsepower ratio increasing exponentially.

I'd say visit the car lots while you got that 2 ft. of snow on the ground. Those guys gotta be bored out of their minds and would cut a sweet deal.

True enough. I got a massive deal on my 08 Rav4, because I went shopping in sub-zero temps right after a massive blizzard. :)

I never buy new since on some cars you can loose almost half the value when you drive off the lot. I never lease since in the long run it can cost up to 1/3 more than buying. I always buy multi-purpose vehicles like crossovers, trucks or SUVs depending on my needs, never a sedan.

Car advice for you?

STAY OFF THE ROADS.

Have the DMV revoke your license. ASAP.

And stay away from the general public.

That ought to keep the roads safe for the rest of us. :D

I never buy new since on some cars you can loose almost half the value when you drive off the lot. I never lease since in the long run it can cost up to 1/3 more than buying. I always buy multi-purpose vehicles like crossovers, trucks or SUVs depending on my needs, never a sedan.

In the long run, of course leasing is more expensive than buying. But I wouldn't do it forever, just during the next 3-5 years until manufactures have a chance to add on and perfect new technology.

I agree with the Truck vs. Sedan. I LOVE having a pickumup Truck, and will never again have a sedan.

Forum List

Back