Canadian Mayor supporting total handgun ban

After a mass shooting left three people dead, including the shooter, in Toronto on Sunday, the city's conservative mayor backed a proposal that even the most liberal American politicians wouldn't dare support ― a total ban on all handgun sales.

"Why does anyone in this city need to have a gun at all?" Mayor John Tory asked at a city council meeting on Monday.

Tory spoke a day after 29-year-old Faisal Hussain opened fire with a handgun on a busy avenue in the city, killing two females and injuring 13 other people. The incident left Torontonians in fear and mourning and prompted the city council to vote on Tuesday night to ask the federal government to ban the sale of handguns within city limits.

"What's happened in the United States is what not to do," said Toronto city councilman Joe Cressy following Sunday's shooting.

Toronto's Mayor Did What No U.S. Leader Has Done After A Mass Shooting

So do they really think that a ban on handguns in Toronto will stop people from getting guns? They consider this Mayor a conservative?

I don't know, but I think liberal politics is beginning to infect our friends up north. A nice dog and pony show to placate the masses. Canada already has strict gun measures, in fact, the same measures liberals think we should implement here such as special licensing, government training, and of course, all the red tape. But oh! It's not working very well.

Will our Democrats learn anything from Canada? Probably not. But according to this Huff piece, their strict regulations have led to more shootings and gun deaths in 2018 compared to last year.

Useless.

It only works well when you ban firearms nationwide as Europe has proven. Chicago is proof that local/regional bans are useless.

Europe has nothing to show for their gun ban if you look at their gun crime 20 years before their bans and today. You would also note an increase in other violent crimes since people there have no way of protecting themselves.

There are few mayors of major cities in the US who wouldn't trade their crime rate for that of major cities in Europe.

Maybe not if they are so myopic to think less crime is related to an object and not the people.

We are an extremely diverse country. If you compare crimes in this country of whites only to those European countries, you will find much less differences.

In other words take all the people in Chicago and move them to Canada, and then come back in five years and show me how their crime level has not changed. I think you would be very disappointed in the results.

And the race card is out!

{... Our homicide rates dropped after bill Clinton passed some gun control.

Seems you just don’t want a lower homicide rate. You enjoy burying our law enforcement regularly. ...}

That is nonsense, first of all because the homicide rate has steadily been dropping for a century and gun control has NOTHING at all to do with it.
Gun control only disarms honest people and has no effect on those intent on more serious crimes.
Second is that law enforcement is not what makes us safer, because police always arrive only after the crime is over.
It is not like anyone is forced to become a cop.
They do it for pay, and can quit any time.
I would rather have an armed population and no police at all, than a disarmed population and lots of police.

Last edited:
WELL there you go , that post number 105 is a lotta common sense Rigby !!

After a mass shooting left three people dead, including the shooter, in Toronto on Sunday, the city's conservative mayor backed a proposal that even the most liberal American politicians wouldn't dare support ― a total ban on all handgun sales.

"Why does anyone in this city need to have a gun at all?" Mayor John Tory asked at a city council meeting on Monday.

Tory spoke a day after 29-year-old Faisal Hussain opened fire with a handgun on a busy avenue in the city, killing two females and injuring 13 other people. The incident left Torontonians in fear and mourning and prompted the city council to vote on Tuesday night to ask the federal government to ban the sale of handguns within city limits.

"What's happened in the United States is what not to do," said Toronto city councilman Joe Cressy following Sunday's shooting.

So do they really think that a ban on handguns in Toronto will stop people from getting guns? They consider this Mayor a conservative?

I don't know, but I think liberal politics is beginning to infect our friends up north. A nice dog and pony show to placate the masses. Canada already has strict gun measures, in fact, the same measures liberals think we should implement here such as special licensing, government training, and of course, all the red tape. But oh! It's not working very well.

Will our Democrats learn anything from Canada? Probably not. But according to this Huff piece, their strict regulations have led to more shootings and gun deaths in 2018 compared to last year.
Why do you say it’s not working well? Because of this one incident? I haven’t looked at the numbers but does Canada have a fun violenve problem?

And I gotta correct one of your statements. A hand gun ban will absolutely stop people from getting guns, that’s the whole point. It won’t stop everybody but it puts less guns out there you can’t really dispute that.

I say do it. Let the world see just how useless gun bans are. As anyone with a brain knows, it ain't the tool, it's the person using the tool that kills. Ban all guns and watch the crime rate skyrocket.
It’s been done, UK, Germany’s, Japan, Australia... I’m not saying it is the right thing for the USA but it has been done in other places and has shown an effective decrease in gun violence

A ban on all handguns is reckless and stupid. It would be totally against the constitution here. Not sure of any of the Canadian laws on this but this just makes no sense to me.
There are several countries that have taken similar measures. UK, Germany, Australia and Japan... check their stats for gun violence

Irrelevant.
The UK, Germany, Australia, Japan, etc., would have the same gun violence levels regardless of laws.
Laws NEVER have any effect on violence levels, because those intent on violence are not at all going to be deterred by minor gun laws, and those not intent on violence won't commit violence even if you shove a gun into their hand.
The reason the UK, Germany, Australia and Japan have low crime and violence levels is because they have levels of the causes of crime. We know what those causes are, such as poverty, injustice, lack of opportunity, lack of jobs, lack of housing, lack of affordable health care, income inequality, etc.
The US has high crime because it is very, very bad at all these things, and then not only creates much more crime, but deserves more crime until these things are fixed. Trying to simply suppress the symptoms while not fixing the cause would be monstrous.
It is just like a decade ago when there was a high rate of people going postal and shooting people.
They did not try to pass stricter gun laws, but then simply changed the bad work conditions of the post office, and the shootings went away.
This is not rocket science.

A right to bear arms only to protect the government of the United States from foreign assault with the intent to overthrow.
Yeah not according to the Supreme Court.
BB
Why else would someone own a gun?
Lol
None of your fucking business... you fucking Coward

I am a "coward" for questioning why this is occurring? There is a guy on USMB whose avatar shows a pistol aimed at the viewer's face. There is no reason for you to call me a coward for questioning why this is going on now and why these filthy individuals are here trying to dominate the conversation.
Someone else’s Firearm ownership is none of your business... Do you need to stay the fuck out of people’s personal lives

So you are pro-choice then.

A right to bear arms only to protect the government of the United States from foreign assault with the intent to overthrow.
BB
Lol

I am a "coward" for questioning why this is occurring? There is a guy on USMB whose avatar shows a pistol aimed at the viewer's face. There is no reason for you to call me a coward for questioning why this is going on now and why these filthy individuals are here trying to dominate the conversation.

So what you are saying is you're scared of an avatar? I bet you also question why we call you on the left Snowflakes.
I'm not "scared" of a picture. I am questioning why someone would put up such a picture. Years ago, people had guns. We had them in the house. They were kept under lock and key. I shot them. The problem is this growing mentality of gun nuts trying to be in everyone's face about guns. Why do people put this mask of fear on, that they somehow are being invaded by their neighbors. The British AREN'T coming. Is Cleveland that horrible of a place? Hoodlums on every street corner?

Gun culture is a cult of little boys trying to be masculine and failing at it. Trying laughably to establish their masculinity by posing with guns, thinking that intimidating their neighbors somehow shows that they are men. Less than a week ago, somebody on USMB was posting pictures of guys dressed in camouflage outfits holding guns. Their mental state is in question. It appears that the people in these photos are trying to intimidate others. This is what has to stop. These boys are trying to pollute our neighborhoods.

A ban on all handguns is reckless and stupid. It would be totally against the constitution here. Not sure of any of the Canadian laws on this but this just makes no sense to me.
There are several countries that have taken similar measures. UK, Germany, Australia and Japan... check their stats for gun violence

Irrelevant.
The UK, Germany, Australia, Japan, etc., would have the same gun violence levels regardless of laws.
Laws NEVER have any effect on violence levels, because those intent on violence are not at all going to be deterred by minor gun laws, and those not intent on violence won't commit violence even if you shove a gun into their hand.
The reason the UK, Germany, Australia and Japan have low crime and violence levels is because they have levels of the causes of crime. We know what those causes are, such as poverty, injustice, lack of opportunity, lack of jobs, lack of housing, lack of affordable health care, income inequality, etc.
The US has high crime because it is very, very bad at all these things, and then not only creates much more crime, but deserves more crime until these things are fixed. Trying to simply suppress the symptoms while not fixing the cause would be monstrous.
It is just like a decade ago when there was a high rate of people going postal and shooting people.
They did not try to pass stricter gun laws, but then simply changed the bad work conditions of the post office, and the shootings went away.

NOW YOU ARE TALKING COMPLETE SHIT..here in Australia our Gun Deaths have dropped dramatically,we are one of the Lowest Gun Death Rates in the world...….You Guys just Love Guns Yet it is like leaving a population to have YOUR MYOPIC THOUGHTS...say NO TO GUNS we did and HOW GREAT IT IS..You are just like another BANANA REPUBLIC but worse because most of you are supposed to be educated,some Americans are but some are as they say in Jamaica....RassClaat

Rigby you are a Sad Bastard indeed,no doubt a member of the discredited NRA....LOL

Irrelevant.
You make fair points about causes of violence all of which need to be taken seriously in the US. But I believe my point still holds true that restrictions on guns lessens the frequency and use of guns. There still may be violence but it wouldn’t be as much gun violence, which many people would prefer as guns are one of the deadliest tools that exist. Again I’m not advocating for banning guns. I’m a gun owner and it’s our constitutional right, but I do think we need to be fair and honest in this debate.

{... Our homicide rates dropped after bill Clinton passed some gun control.

Seems you just don’t want a lower homicide rate. You enjoy burying our law enforcement regularly. ...}

That is nonsense, first of all because the homicide rate has steadily been dropping for a century and gun control has NOTHING at all to do with it.
Gun control only disarms honest people and has no effect on those intent on more serious crimes.
Second is that law enforcement is not what makes us safer, because police always arrive only after the crime is over.
It is not like anyone is forced to become a cop.
They do it for pay, and can quit any time.
I would rather have an armed population and no police at all, than a disarmed population and lots of police.
Which honest person has been disarmed?

Why do you say it’s not working well? Because of this one incident? I haven’t looked at the numbers but does Canada have a fun violenve problem?

And I gotta correct one of your statements. A hand gun ban will absolutely stop people from getting guns, that’s the whole point. It won’t stop everybody but it puts less guns out there you can’t really dispute that.

I say do it. Let the world see just how useless gun bans are. As anyone with a brain knows, it ain't the tool, it's the person using the tool that kills. Ban all guns and watch the crime rate skyrocket.
It’s been done, UK, Germany’s, Japan, Australia... I’m not saying it is the right thing for the USA but it has been done in other places and has shown an effective decrease in gun violence
------------------------------------------------------ i guess that SUBJECTS deserve to be Herded about and Subjugated Slade .

BB
Lol

So what you are saying is you're scared of an avatar? I bet you also question why we call you on the left Snowflakes.
I'm not "scared" of a picture. I am questioning why someone would put up such a picture. Years ago, people had guns. We had them in the house. They were kept under lock and key. I shot them. The problem is this growing mentality of gun nuts trying to be in everyone's face about guns. Why do people put this mask of fear on, that they somehow are being invaded by their neighbors. The British AREN'T coming. Is Cleveland that horrible of a place? Hoodlums on every street corner?

Gun culture is a cult of little boys trying to be masculine and failing at it. Trying laughably to establish their masculinity by posing with guns, thinking that intimidating their neighbors somehow shows that they are men. Less than a week ago, somebody on USMB was posting pictures of guys dressed in camouflage outfits holding guns. Their mental state is in question. It appears that the people in these photos are trying to intimidate others. This is what has to stop. These boys are trying to pollute our neighborhoods.
------------------------------------------------------------------ USA is a FREE Country , people can peacefully post pictures of most anything and wear camoflage and hold guns if they like . I think that your Emotions are taking control of tour Thinking Lysis .

BB
Lol

------------------------------------------------------------------ USA is a FREE Country , people can peacefully post pictures of most anything and wear camoflage and hold guns if they like . I think that your Emotions are taking control of tour Thinking Lysis .

Emotions have absolutely nothing to do with finding people to be retards and jackasses or criticizing them for deliberately trying to intimidate other people. Yeah, people in America have the right to do just about anything. A thousand Crips and Bloods can march down the street with their pants hanging low. The sort of behavior that these people exhibit does not belong in our community in the U.S.A. These people are insulting, aggressive, and appear to be a threat to our communities, and only because they have small penises and need to establish themselves somehow as being "men." Look at these teeny-weeny "militia" white boys running around in the woods with guns. Whom do they think they are kidding? I'm just calling people out for their anti-social behavior. I don't accept all behavior. We have standards.

Lol

Emotions have absolutely nothing to do with finding people to be retards and jackasses or criticizing them for deliberately trying to intimidate other people. Yeah, people in America have the right to do just about anything. A thousand Crips and Bloods can march down the street with their pants hanging low. The sort of behavior that these people exhibit does not belong in our community in the U.S.A. These people are insulting, aggressive, and appear to be a threat to our communities, and only because they have small penises and need to establish themselves somehow as being "men." Look at these teeny-weeny "militia" white boys running around in the woods with guns. Whom do they think they are kidding? I'm just calling people out for their anti-social behavior. I don't accept all behavior. We have standards.
-------------------------------------- lucky that you aren't the cops Lysis . Dressing in camo and displaying guns in photos and avatars and talking about low hanging pants and assumptions of small penises is all emotional silliness Lysis .

Lol

You sound like an angry black bitch that's got a thing for any gun owning white person.

and standards disappeared years ago and that can be seen as adult women currently strut about as huge va6inas while wearing pink puzzy hats while advocating that men should be denied sexual relation as a way to control men Lysistrata .

BB
Lol

Someone else’s Firearm ownership is none of your business... Do you need to stay the fuck out of people’s personal lives

So you are pro-choice then.
If you’re talking about abortion it’s all states issue not a federal issue

BB
Lol

Firearms are an absolute right till someone fucks it up for themselves. More legally held firearms is the goal. And it’s 100% personal you need to stay the fuck out of people’s personal lives

Irrelevant.

NOW YOU ARE TALKING COMPLETE SHIT..here in Australia our Gun Deaths have dropped dramatically,we are one of the Lowest Gun Death Rates in the world...….You Guys just Love Guns Yet it is like leaving a population to have YOUR MYOPIC THOUGHTS...say NO TO GUNS we did and HOW GREAT IT IS..You are just like another BANANA REPUBLIC but worse because most of you are supposed to be educated,some Americans are but some are as they say in Jamaica....RassClaat

Rigby you are a Sad Bastard indeed,no doubt a member of the discredited NRA....LOL
Other countries have no right to fire arms and no right to freedom of speech… Here we have those things. So your country irrelevant In the discussion

Forum List

Back