Can you name a more beloved comic actor today than Martin Short?

Most people do not even remember who Martin Short was or what was funny about him

Give me Dana Carvey or Rick Moranis any day

Both got started as stand up comedians, I think. That means they don't count.
I don't think of Martin Short as a comedic actor and cannot think of any roles that were beloved
Short did skit comedy much like Moranis and Carvey. If you want to talk beloved....go with Mike Meyers...Wayne's World, Ausin Powers and Shrek

Jenna Jis
Most people do not even remember who Martin Short was or what was funny about him

Who can ever forget the "Church Chat" on SNL? Man that was funny!

Church lasy was always a crowd favorite.

And I'll give it to him and you that Dana Carvey is noth funny and beloved.

But he's no Martin Short.

When he appears on any late nighttalk shows he is hysterically funny, without fail. The crowds go nuts over him, without fail.

He's been in some significant films and he is currently seen in the new Fox hit comedy, Mullaney.

And once again, as usual, he is hysterically funny.

Here's the pilot episode of "Mulaney."

He got his start as a stand up comic though. You said no stand up comics. :)

Ben Stiller, who has been in many, many comedies, including There's Something About Mary. Very funny.

I really like Martin Short- I don't know enough about him personally to know whether he passes the "I would want to have a beer with him" test.

My vote would be Bill Murray.

Ever see his bit role in Zombieland?

He is known for playing with the crowds when playing golf, and I have never heard a person say a bad thing about him.

Both got started as stand up comedians, I think. That means they don't count.
I don't think of Martin Short as a comedic actor and cannot think of any roles that were beloved
Short did skit comedy much like Moranis and Carvey. If you want to talk beloved....go with

Well, I'm referring to the stated rules of the OP. See below OP below. He says no stand up comics can be included. However, he did NOT say they had to be male comics, which I thought.

In that case, I will include Julia Louis Dreyfus. I don't believe she ever did stand up. She is lovable and funny. :)

Can you name a more beloved comic actor today than Martin Short?

Not a stand up.

Not deceased.

Just someone who people just LIKE a lot and even feel a familiar kind of celebrity "love" about from afar.

My money is on Martin Short.

Funny AND beloved.

Ben Stiller, who has been in many, many comedies, including There's Something About Mary. Very funny.

I really like Martin Short- I don't know enough about him personally to know whether he passes the "I would want to have a beer with him" test.

He is known for playing with the crowds when playing golf, and I have never heard a person say a bad thing about him.

As far as straight-up comedic acting, Bill Murray is at least in the top five in history.

Gosh, I saw him on the Today show recently. YIKES is all I can say. I don't think I've ever seen Zombieland, no.

And BTW, just sayin' - to exclude anyone who started out as standup is kind of ridiculous considering a HUGE swath of actor/comedians started as stand ups

I had to Google Image his name to know who he is. I know all of the other names mentioned here - so I can say that doesn't bode well for "America's most beloved..."

Maybe his sense of humor or something just ain't yo' cup o tea.

This is a test video.

If you don't chuckle at this then not only are you not a Martin Short fan, but I would advise checking your pulse to make sure you have one!!!

LOLOL

I am not even through with the video and I've already used one Kleenex I'm laughing so hard.

EDIT: I needed a second Kleenex.

I just love the guy.

America's most beloved comic actor?

I think so.

Last edited:
I had to Google Image his name to know who he is. I know all of the other names mentioned here - so I can say that doesn't bode well for "America's most beloved..."

Maybe his sense of humor or something just ain't yo' cup o tea.

This is a test video.

If you don't chuckle at this then not only are you not a Martin Short fan, but I would advise checking your pulse to make sure you have one!!!

LOLOL

I am not even through with the video and I've already used one Kleenex I'm laughing so hard.

Once I googled him I knew who is he is, I just didn't place the name.

And BTW, just sayin' - to exclude anyone who started out as standup is kind of ridiculous considering a HUGE swath of actor/comedians started as stand ups

You would then have "who's your favorite stand up?" and that is not only lame but impossible to do anything with.

Okay, so you like Louie CK, Chris Rock, Amy "What's her name", Jim Gaffigan, Anthony Jeselnik and Jerry Seinfeld.

Great.

ZZzzzzz.

Most did yes. That is what makes this so challenging.

I'm glad SOMEONE has the brains to recognize this.

:)

Darn, I just read that Jim Carrey did do stand up, so that counts him out too. But I have Steve Carell from the office still and Will Smith.

I think Will Smith fits the bill. He is a great comedic actor, and he's never done stand up. Also, he is beloved by many, including myself. :D

You would then have "who's your favorite stand up?" and that is not only lame but impossible to do anything with.

Okay, so you like Louie CK, Chris Rock, Amy "What's her name", Jim Gaffigan, Anthony Jeselnik and Jerry Seinfeld.

Great.

ZZzzzzz.

Agree. It wouldn't be challenging at all because most of the comedic actors/actresses on television and movies got started by doing stand up in seedy clubs when they were young.

No stand up...hmm

He does an act but he's not known as a stand up comic, per se.

He is a comic actor.

A multi-talented comic actor.

A much beloved, multi talented, comic actor.

America's most beloved, multi talented, comic actor, I maintain.

Forum List

Back