Can you drive a vehicle with a manual (stick shift) transmission?

My Hemi Jeep has the same type of system.
Plenty of towing ability, but getting high on miles.
Actually been starting to look at lower mileage used Tundras as my next towing vehicle.

Mines set up for 12K pounds towing.
Which is as high as you can get with a Tundra.
I can pull the 20ft camper and you dont even know it's there even with three full 40 gallon tanks.

I sure can.

But it can get exciting at times.

I get really animated if I have to stop on a big hill.

If offered at all, standard shift is now treated as an option one must pay extra for. Go figure.

The only drawback of a manual is offroading in sketchy terrain.
Getting to the throttle from the brake on dangerous inclines can get pretty hairy.
I solved the issue with a hand throttle on the shifter. You could only use about a third of the throttle but that was more than enough to get you going on steep inclines.
Used a simple mountain bike brake lever and machined a sleeve to get the proper diameter for it to clamp on.
Then ran a two seater bicycle brake cable through the fire wall to the throttle.
I was going to make a two inch diameter pulley so I could get full throttle out of it but decided it wasnt necessary after testing.
I looked at handicapped controls for cars but they were extremely proud of the stuff.

Screenshot_20230704-163452-910.png

Yep, it's what I learned to drive on, and my first few cars were stick. But it's been a while and my current car is an automatic.

Forum List

Back