Can you drive a vehicle with a manual (stick shift) transmission?

IMG_20210909_111610371.jpg

I learned to drive in a '67 Land Cruiser with three on the tree.

So yes, I can drive a vehicle with a manual transmission.

It's a disappearing skill these days it seems.
Yeah....
I've driven cars, trucks, and step vans with a manual transmission.

The Allison Transmission is replacing the manual transmission because it's more fuel efficient and delivers more power than the manual in diesel engines.

But yes....you're very correct....the skill is gone. Even Tractor Trailer rigs run off a "bump and go" type Allison tranny. Everyone still prefers the kitty cats under the hood to an international engine. But whatever eh?

Only one I ain't gotten behind the wheel of is a Kenworth....and I'm seeing a few more on the road than I used to.

I still drive a couple of vehicles with manual transmission, a tractor or two, and I can drive an 18 speed with 10 wheels.

It's a disappearing skill these days it seems.
/——/ I learned to drive on a stick which is a tab bit more complex than an automatic. Owned a Karmann Ghia, MG, an Opel and a Capri. My Volvo has a paddle shifter but it ain’t the same.

I really love driving a manual vehicle but with traffic the way it is I'll stick to an auto thanks.
Someone mentioned towing as a good reason for a manual.
These days modern automatics are great for towing.
I just hit the tow haul button on my Tundra and it changes the shift points or you can manually shift it by tapping the the shift lever forward or back using it as an engine brake. Of course the massive 14 inch diameter rotors help with stopping power as well.

Hell yes ......most every day = 5 speed.

It's not rocket science..........

I really love driving a manual vehicle but with traffic the way it is I'll stick to an auto thanks.
Someone mentioned towing as a good reason for a manual.
These days modern automatics are great for towing.
I just hit the tow haul button on my Tundra and it changes the shift points or you can manually shift it by tapping the the shift lever forward or back using it as an engine brake. Of course the massive 14 inch diameter rotors help with stopping power as well.
I hear about all that stuff but my work truck refuses to die.

I've had several vehicles with standard transmissions, including a motorcycle.

The car I have now is my first automatic, and it's boring, which I kinda like nowadays.

I havent had a single problem towing. But it is a Toyota so I dont expect any.
My Hemi Jeep has the same type of system.
Plenty of towing ability, but getting high on miles.
Actually been starting to look at lower mileage used Tundras as my next towing vehicle.

Forum List

Back