CDZ Can someone please describe White Privilege in specific terms?

Kids don't think that far ahead. They might accuse racism to mitigate punishment after the fact.
Yes they do. But even if you are right that they don't, the effect is the same even if it's after the fact.

So do you also accept that white privilege in the classroom exists, and that sometimes the accusation of racism is justified, when white students get less or no punishment for the same misbehavior that gets black students harsher punishment?

Furthermore, if students think so far ahead, do you think that white students figure in their white privilege when planning what they can get away with?
I recognize that many types of privilege exist. In other words, life ain't fair. The ugly fat kid probably will not get treated as well as the attractive kid regardless of their colors. Sometimes the athlete gets better treatment because we've got to win that state championship.
Lots of things happen "sometimes".

So you admit that white privilege exists. As well as pretty privilege, thin privilege, etc.

Of course it can't be "fixed." But it can be recognized for what it is.
I recognize that racism exists and that those that may benifit from that racism or not be subjected to that racism may be considered privileged.
I don't believe "white privilege" is running rampant in our public schools. If anything, blacks get a privilege that whites don't in school called affirmative action.

Clearly, because black folk have it so well in our society.

(Is gentle sarcasm allowed in the CDZ)?

The system in which a white teacher is more likely to view a black student as a threat, while identifying with the white student, and result in harsher punishments for the same kinds of misbehavior.

That's one example. It is not a 100% occurrence. There are too many other factors at work that means that it's practically impossible to quantify. But it exists, like the other prejudices in our world.

Or it might be that black kids behavior is worse.

It's my belief that how people are treated should be based on their character and their actions. I also believe that by constantly dwelling on color, racism is perpetuated.

When a white employer is more likely to employ a white person because they identify with them and feel they will "fit in" better, that is white privilege...

Except that that doesn't happen nearly as much as the opposites, ie employer afraid of being sued over nothing, or wanting to celebrate "Diversity" or needing to demonstrate equal higher practices despite a complete lack of qualified black candidates.

Ricci v. DeStefano - Wikipedia

The system in which a white teacher is more likely to view a black student as a threat, while identifying with the white student, and result in harsher punishments for the same kinds of misbehavior.

That's one example. It is not a 100% occurrence. There are too many other factors at work that means that it's practically impossible to quantify. But it exists, like the other prejudices in our world.

So a black teacher who is more likely to view a white student as a threat, while identifying with the black student, is black privilege?

Yeah. But there are more white teachers than black. The chances of benefitting from black privilege (or preferential treatment) are considerably less.

Anyone that knows a teacher knows that that is bullshit.

Yes they do. But even if you are right that they don't, the effect is the same even if it's after the fact.

So do you also accept that white privilege in the classroom exists, and that sometimes the accusation of racism is justified, when white students get less or no punishment for the same misbehavior that gets black students harsher punishment?

Furthermore, if students think so far ahead, do you think that white students figure in their white privilege when planning what they can get away with?
I recognize that many types of privilege exist. In other words, life ain't fair. The ugly fat kid probably will not get treated as well as the attractive kid regardless of their colors. Sometimes the athlete gets better treatment because we've got to win that state championship.
Lots of things happen "sometimes".

So you admit that white privilege exists. As well as pretty privilege, thin privilege, etc.

Of course it can't be "fixed." But it can be recognized for what it is.
I recognize that racism exists and that those that may benifit from that racism or not be subjected to that racism may be considered privileged.
I don't believe "white privilege" is running rampant in our public schools. If anything, blacks get a privilege that whites don't in school called affirmative action.

Clearly, because black folk have it so well in our society.

(Is gentle sarcasm allowed in the CDZ)?
Actually black folk do have it well in our society when it comes to opportunity. Whether they take the opportunities before them or not isn't whittie's fault.

Because different races are biologically different?

It's hard, if not impossible, to quantify any of this. As I keep saying, there are too many other factors involved.

It's hard, if not impossible, to quantify any of this. As I keep saying, there are too many other factors involved.

I said nothing about behavior being driven by biological factors. That was you.

My point stands.

HIgher rates of black suspensions is just as likely to be the result of differences in behavior.

My point stands.

HIgher rates of black suspensions is just as likely to be the result of differences in behavior.

So what accounts for differences in behavior? Are behaviors really different or are punishments different? If you use the response (punishment) as a way to measure the behaviors, then you had best be absolutely sure that those punishments are applied fairly across the board.

My point stands.

So what accounts for differences in behavior? Are behaviors really different or are punishments different? If you use the response (punishment) as a way to measure the behaviors, then you had best be absolutely sure that those punishments are applied fairly across the board.
Culture for one thing.

My point stands.

Culture for one thing.

See how sticky this gets? This brings up the question of where culture comes from.

Pretty soon, it gets into a nature vs. nurture argument, which is completely unknowable, although I would guess elements of both contribute.

My point stands.

Culture for one thing.

See how sticky this gets? This brings up the question of where culture comes from.

Pretty soon, it gets into a nature vs. nurture argument, which is completely unknowable, although I would guess elements of both contribute.
It doesn't seem so sticky to me. Culture comes from the communities/people that the kids are exposed to or grow up with. Culture comes from one's family values. It comes from the music people listen to.
A family with a married mother and father in the home will usually instill a better set of values to a child than a single mom that has a bunch of children from a variety of baby's daddies. This is true regardless of the color/race of the family.

My point stands.

Culture for one thing.

It doesn't seem so sticky to me. Culture comes from the communities/people that the kids are exposed to or grow up with. Culture comes from one's family values. It comes from the music people listen to.
A family with a married mother and father in the home will usually instill a better set of values to a child than a single mom that has a bunch of children from a variety of baby's daddies. This is true regardless of the color/race of the family.

Yet how interesting you use that example in a thread devoted to race.

My point stands.

Culture, personal family life, differences in responses from the school, ect.

You are the one using punishments as evidence.

My point stands.

Then what do you use for evidence that black children are worse behaved than white children?

That's just racism, chickie.

Cultural is the key difference. Tied to this is economic income level. Poorer counties typically have poorer schools. As discussed elsewhere, only about 6% of school funding is Federal. The majority of it is split between state and local. Poor schools, fractured family life and a culture doesn't emphasize traditional core values all can lead most children to a disastrous upbringing. I don't know how that cycle can be broken, but the only solution is to break the cycle. Italians and Irish used to live under such problems and now the vast majority of them are fully assimilated across all economic scales. How did that come about?

My point stands.

Then what do you use for evidence that black children are worse behaved than white children?

My point stands.

Culture for one thing.

Yet how interesting you use that example in a thread devoted to race.
Yet how interesting that you do not dispute the example. (And the example is valid regardless of race).

That's just racism, chickie.

What do you think white privilege is?

Forum List

Back