CDZ Can someone please describe White Privilege in specific terms?

Culture, personal family life, differences in responses from the school, ect.

You are the one using punishments as evidence.
Cultural is the key difference. Tied to this is economic income level. Poorer counties typically have poorer schools. As discussed elsewhere, only about 6% of school funding is Federal. The majority of it is split between state and local. Poor schools, fractured family life and a culture doesn't emphasize traditional core values all can lead most children to a disastrous upbringing. I don't know how that cycle can be broken, but the only solution is to break the cycle. Italians and Irish used to live under such problems and now the vast majority of them are fully assimilated across all economic scales. How did that come about?

When race and economic status are generally correlative, then it's still a race issue.

The system in which a white teacher is more likely to view a black student as a threat, while identifying with the white student, and result in harsher punishments for the same kinds of misbehavior.

That's one example. It is not a 100% occurrence. There are too many other factors at work that means that it's practically impossible to quantify. But it exists, like the other prejudices in our world.
That's just racism, chickie.

What do you think white privilege is?
Recently it's become a term used to say that there is institutional racism holding black people back and benefiting white people.

Or it might be that black kids behavior is worse.

Because different races are biologically different?

It's hard, if not impossible, to quantify any of this. As I keep saying, there are too many other factors involved.

I said nothing about behavior being driven by biological factors. That was you.

My point stands.

HIgher rates of black suspensions is just as likely to be the result of differences in behavior.

So what accounts for differences in behavior? Are behaviors really different or are punishments different? If you use the response (punishment) as a way to measure the behaviors, then you had best be absolutely sure that those punishments are applied fairly across the board.

Then what do you use for evidence that black children are worse behaved than white children?

You're the one that wants to assume it is from racism. It's on you to support your claim.

Cultural is the key difference. Tied to this is economic income level. Poorer counties typically have poorer schools. As discussed elsewhere, only about 6% of school funding is Federal. The majority of it is split between state and local. Poor schools, fractured family life and a culture doesn't emphasize traditional core values all can lead most children to a disastrous upbringing. I don't know how that cycle can be broken, but the only solution is to break the cycle. Italians and Irish used to live under such problems and now the vast majority of them are fully assimilated across all economic scales. How did that come about?

The young adults got jobs, got married and raised kids in two parent households.

Because different races are biologically different?

It's hard, if not impossible, to quantify any of this. As I keep saying, there are too many other factors involved.

My point stands.

HIgher rates of black suspensions is just as likely to be the result of differences in behavior.

So what accounts for differences in behavior? Are behaviors really different or are punishments different? If you use the response (punishment) as a way to measure the behaviors, then you had best be absolutely sure that those punishments are applied fairly across the board.

Then what do you use for evidence that black children are worse behaved than white children?

You're the one that wants to assume it is from racism. It's on you to support your claim.

Actually, I make no claim that black children behave worse than white children. Your job, to prove they do, would be to provide evidence.

When race and economic status are generally correlative, then it's still a race issue.

Is economic status driven by race or by behavior?

My point stands.

Actually, I make no claim that black children behave worse than white children. Your job, to prove they do, would be to provide evidence.

Your words in response to the OP, what is white privilege.

"The system in which a white teacher is more likely to view a black student as a threat, while identifying with the white student, and result in harsher punishments for the same kinds of misbehavior."

Impossible to quantify. I believe it's a bit of both. If it is both, then one's outcomes from behavior may still be mitigated by what they have no control over - which is race. For good and ill.

"The system in which a white teacher is more likely to view a black student as a threat, while identifying with the white student, and result in harsher punishments for the same kinds of misbehavior."

That clearly says that children who exhibit the same behaviors get punished differently due to their race.

NOT that black children behave worse than white kids.

The rates of blacks committing murder is much higher than that of whites. This is indisputable because their are bodies to prove the murders. I don't believe the color of a person's in and of itself makes a higher percentage of blacks murder people. However, the is perhaps a higher percentage of blacks than whites involved in gangsta culture. I know that the crips and bloods are names of two notorious black gangs. I can't think of any names of white gangs but I do expect they exist. Perhaps the Hell's Angels.

Impossible to quantify. I believe it's a bit of both. If it is both, then one's outcomes from behavior may still be mitigated by what they have no control over - which is race. For good and ill.

Statistical analysis is very powerful.

Plenty of studies on what behaviors result in low economic status.

Illegitimacy, is the big one of course.

A woman, white or black, who has a child out of wedlock is setting herself and her children up for poverty.

That clearly says that children who exhibit the same behaviors get punished differently due to their race.

Quantified by WHO?

I love the fact that teachers are such lefties and support the side that is so quick to throw them under the bus.

You guys have put me in the humorous position of telling my teacher friends, liberals, that I regularly stand up for them, and those that blame their racism for the failures of black students.

A woman, white or black, who has a child out of wedlock is setting herself and her children up for poverty.

Correlation does not equal causation.

The rates of blacks committing murder is much higher than that of whites. This is indisputable because their are bodies to prove the murders. I don't believe the color of a person's in and of itself makes a higher percentage of blacks murder people. However, the is perhaps a higher percentage of blacks than whites involved in gangsta culture. I know that the crips and bloods are names of two notorious black gangs. I can't think of any names of white gangs but I do expect they exist. Perhaps the Hell's Angels.

Gangs are almost exclusively black or brown. White gang members are so rare as to be nearly insignificant.

Wasn't that what you were trying to do with your claim of skin color CAUSING different reactions from teachers?

No it's not. A deeper analysis is needed to prove causation. However, correlation can often point the was way to causation. And the lack of correlation can be used to prove there is no causation.

Quantified by WHO?

I love the fact that teachers are such lefties and support the side that is so quick to throw them under the bus.

You guys have put me in the humorous position of telling my teacher friends, liberals, that I regularly stand up for them, and those that blame their racism for the failures of black students.

Who has quantified that black children behave so differently than white children? You have yet to provide evidence.

I'm sorry you want things so cut and dried. It's not all teachers, which I believe I've said before. It's not a 100% occurrence. Non-racist teachers don't need any defending. But even if it's only 20%, it's going to affect outcomes. And personally, I don't even think some people realize that they are acting on subconscious racist assumptions.

That's why education is important.

Quantified by WHO?

Who has quantified that black children behave so differently than white children? You have yet to provide evidence.

I'm sorry you want things so cut and dried. It's not all teachers, which I believe I've said before. It's not a 100% occurrence. Non-racist teachers don't need any defending. But even if it's only 20%, it's going to affect outcomes. And personally, I don't even think some people realize that they are acting on subconscious racist assumptions.

That's why education is important.

Who has quantified that the punishments are different for the same offenses.

That is a claim you made, that you should not make unless the data clearly supports your claim, ie cut and dried.

Wasn't that what you were trying to do with your claim of skin color CAUSING different reactions from teachers?

Yep. The evidence is stronger for that argument, because punishments are worse and more frequent for black students (which has been quantified). Who controls the punishments? The teachers.

If it's due to massive differences in the behaviors of black vs white students, then please, find evidence to quantify that.

Yep. The evidence is stronger for that argument, because punishments are worse and more frequent for black students (which has been quantified). Who controls the punishments? The teachers.

If it's due to massive differences in the behaviors of black vs white students, then please, find evidence to quantify that.

I've asked you who quantified it.

Because your scenario runs counter to everything we know about the left leaning Education industry and teachers.

Forum List

Back