Can Scott Brown Win in Massachusetts?

"BOSTON — Martha M. Coakley, the Democrat running for Senator Edward M. Kennedy’s seat in Massachusetts, had seemed so certain of winning the special election on Jan. 19 that she barely campaigned last month.

And a new poll that showed a competitive race between Ms. Coakley and Mr. Brown has generated buzz on conservative blogs and energized the Brown campaign — though many news organizations dispute its methodology.

But a tighter-than-expected margin in the closely watched race would still prompt soul-searching among Democrats nationally, since the outcome will be the first real barometer of whether problems facing the party will play out in tangible ways at the polls later this year.

While Ms. Coakley kept a low profile over the holidays, Mr. Brown hammered her as soft on terrorists and as a “crusader” for abortion rights. He has played up his military credentials — he serves in the Army National Guard — and his opposition to the health care overhaul headed for a final vote in Congress. That, too, has unnerved Democrats, who cannot afford to lose a single vote on the embattled legislation."
Democrats Anxious Over a Once-Safe Seat - NYTimes.com

Time to put my money where my mouth is?

I sent him a contribution.

The poll numbers here have scott brown winning.

The "drive around town" "polling" i did earlier showed 15 households for scott brown, 3 houses for yes on 2, 1 house for no on 1, and ZERO houses for martha coakley. (I was in carver though and ask article about that town)

That's great news Pilgrim and I certainly hope that Brown wins that election. We need someone like Brown, he seems like a real stand up person, certainly capable of articulating his message. I know in Novemember Democrats will be on the loosing side of things but it would certainly be nice to get rid of a filibuster proof senate NOW.

This thread is the single most important one at USMB.

If Scott Brown wins the election, it will be the single most transformative political event in American politics since Obama's own election last year.

A potentially HUGE national story folks!!!!

And it's an exercise in futility.

This thread is the single most important one at USMB.

If Scott Brown wins the election, it will be the single most transformative political event in American politics since Obama's own election last year.

A potentially HUGE national story folks!!!!

"BOSTON — Martha M. Coakley, the Democrat running for Senator Edward M. Kennedy’s seat in Massachusetts, had seemed so certain of winning the special election on Jan. 19 that she barely campaigned last month.

And a new poll that showed a competitive race between Ms. Coakley and Mr. Brown has generated buzz on conservative blogs and energized the Brown campaign — though many news organizations dispute its methodology.

But a tighter-than-expected margin in the closely watched race would still prompt soul-searching among Democrats nationally, since the outcome will be the first real barometer of whether problems facing the party will play out in tangible ways at the polls later this year.

While Ms. Coakley kept a low profile over the holidays, Mr. Brown hammered her as soft on terrorists and as a “crusader” for abortion rights. He has played up his military credentials — he serves in the Army National Guard — and his opposition to the health care overhaul headed for a final vote in Congress. That, too, has unnerved Democrats, who cannot afford to lose a single vote on the embattled legislation."
Democrats Anxious Over a Once-Safe Seat - NYTimes.com

I could not agree more with your statement.:clap2:

Short answer: No.

Evidence seems to be on your side...but can you imagine the political earthquake if

he were to win???

Sure, it would be great feather in the GOP's cap to grab Ted Kennedy's seat - and in "Taxachussetts", of all places. But it's as likely to happen as Dems keeping Byron Dorgan's seat in N. Dakota.

Clinton is going to be campaining for Coakley, and you know what he said about Obama during his conversation with Kennedy. That has just today come out and there are alot of Obama voters in that state that won't take too kindly to that racist remark, they could turn on Coakly and Clinton.

Evidence seems to be on your side...but can you imagine the political earthquake if

he were to win???

Sure, it would be great feather in the GOP's cap to grab Ted Kennedy's seat - and in "Taxachussetts", of all places. But it's as likely to happen as Dems keeping Byron Dorgan's seat in N. Dakota.

Clinton is going to be campaining for Coakley, and you know what he said about Obama during his conversation with Kennedy. That has just today come out and there are alot of Obama voters in that state that won't take too kindly to that racist remark, they could turn on Coakly and Clinton.

Nah, that's not gonna be enough to make them want to vote for a Republican to represent them.

why is a new yorker interfering in a massachusetts election? do you do that often?

Well, there's nothing that says citizens can't donate to people running in other states for national office. Especially now that so much focus is on Washington, it's to be expected. Hell, I did it a couple of times for Darcy Burner in Washington state (not that it helped).

Well, there's nothing that says citizens can't donate to people running in other states for national office. Especially now that so much focus is on Washington, it's to be expected. Hell, I did it a couple of times for Darcy Burner in Washington state (not that it helped).

I didn't say she can't. And certainly it's your right to donate to any candidate who represents your interests. But she certainly doesn't represent the pov of the Massachusetts electorate.

why is a new yorker interfering in a massachusetts election? do you do that often?

How do you know that SuperGirl is not using propaganda and her status to get the lemmings moving??

Come on, Jillian. It does not take much to help a candidate out than to give them your sponsership, especially if you are idolized by the posters of your ideological persuasion.

You are going to see that happen more and more because the congressional and senate elections are going to become national elections, like they did during Newt Gingrich's time in the congress. A senator in another state has an affect on all other 49 states with their vote.

Just look at Ben Nelson of Nebraska, the other 49 get to pay for his state's increases in medicaid under the senate version of health care reform, that means that YOU will pay more in taxes to support Nebraskan's medicaid services. I will actively support the candidate who runs against him in Nebraska in 2012 and I don't live there. He is a corrupt politician and he sold his vote, the vote, that the rest of us will have to pay for.

Last edited:

How do you know that SuperGirl is not using propaganda and her status to get the lemmings moving??

Come on, Jillian. It does not take much to help a candidate out than to give them your sponsership, especially if you are idolized by the posters of your ideological persuasion.

i'm thinking that's a pretty big leap.

You are going to see that happen more and more because the congressional and senate elections are going to become national elections, like they did during Newt Gingrich's time in the congress. A senator in another state has an affect on all other 49 states with their vote.

Just look at Ben Nelson of Nebraska, the other 49 get to pay for his state's increases in medicaid under the senate version of health care reform, that means that YOU will pay more in taxes to support Nebraskan's medicaid services. I will actively support the candidate who runs against him in Nebraska in 2012 and I don't live there.

in other words, you don't think people should be represented by people who represent their interests and you want to pervert the government?

it's that whole sore loser, i don't like the election results thang that the right does so well.

:thup:

Short answer: No.

he were to win???

That is a big misconception about my state. Remember these people?

Mitt Romney
Jane Swifth
Cellucci

Those were the previous 3 governors, all republican. List of Governors of Massachusetts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We even have a few repubs in our state senate (about 1 out of 10 are republican but still) Massachusetts Senate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Our local unions support him (police and fire) and the blue collar working class people support him (mechanics, construction).

He has a good chance.

Plus he is spending MILLIONS on advertising.

He is getting contributions from people across the country. The people of america don't like the health care bill and are willing to pay money to see a person win who would be able to singlehandedly stop it.

I personally have been delivering signs that were bought for him, free of charge. That is my contribution. I'm not putting them up just delivering them to local plymouth businesses who have bought them (and letting them know about my shop in the process ;)).

he were to win???

Mitt Romney
Jane Swifth
Cellucci

Those were the previous 3 governors, all republican. List of Governors of Massachusetts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We even have a few repubs in our state senate (about 1 out of 10 are republican but still) Massachusetts Senate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Our local unions support him (police and fire) and the blue collar working class people support him (mechanics, construction).

He has a good chance.

Nate Silver's only comment on the Mass. Senate race.

Massachusetts (D-Open) -- It's worth polling the special general, which will occur in just three weeks, but I'm pretty sure that Massachusetts will soon have a Senator Coakley.

FiveThirtyEight: Politics Done Right: Senate Rankings, December 2009 Edition

Just look at Ben Nelson of Nebraska, the other 49 get to pay for his state's increases in medicaid under the senate version of health care reform, that means that YOU will pay more in taxes to support Nebraskan's medicaid services. I will actively support the candidate who runs against him in Nebraska in 2012 and I don't live there.

in other words, you don't think people should be represented by people who represent their interests and you want to pervert the government?

it's that whole sore loser, i don't like the election results thang that the right does so well.

:thup:

The bribe that was made to Senator Ben Nelson will be challenged in the courts by several different attorney generals from different states. There has already been action taken. It is unconstitutional to penalize residents of 49 states to the benefit of one state. You as the attorney you claim to be should know that.

As far as representative government with this administration, there is none!!!!! 56% of Americans are opposed to the health care reform being debated BEHIND closed doors.

Mitt Romney
Jane Swifth
Cellucci

He has a good chance.

Nate Silver's only comment on the Mass. Senate race.

Massachusetts (D-Open) -- It's worth polling the special general, which will occur in just three weeks, but I'm pretty sure that Massachusetts will soon have a Senator Coakley.

FiveThirtyEight: Politics Done Right: Senate Rankings, December 2009 Edition

That link backs up what I am saying. See the green up triangle in their chart?

he were to win???

Mitt Romney
Jane Swifth
Cellucci

He has a good chance.

Anyone going to run against Barney Frank??? The creator and facilitator of the mortgage melt-down crisis??

Of course he can win, if he's not the tradition wing nut sort of candidate that the GOP is so fond of putting forth lately.

Forum List

Back