Can Scott Brown Win in Massachusetts?

That is a big misconception about my state. Remember these people?

Mitt Romney
Jane Swifth
Cellucci

Those were the previous 3 governors, all republican. List of Governors of Massachusetts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We even have a few repubs in our state senate (about 1 out of 10 are republican but still) Massachusetts Senate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Our local unions support him (police and fire) and the blue collar working class people support him (mechanics, construction).

He has a good chance.

Plus he is spending MILLIONS on advertising.

Nate Silver's only comment on the Mass. Senate race.

Massachusetts (D-Open) -- It's worth polling the special general, which will occur in just three weeks, but I'm pretty sure that Massachusetts will soon have a Senator Coakley.

FiveThirtyEight: Politics Done Right: Senate Rankings, December 2009 Edition

That link backs up what I am saying. See the green up triangle in their chart?

the commentary is more meaningful. all that means is it went from zero to a bit above zero.

This thread is the single most important one at USMB.

If Scott Brown wins the election, it will be the single most transformative political event in American politics since Obama's own election last year.

A potentially HUGE national story folks!!!!

And it's an exercise in futility.

spend a lot of time in mass, do you?

No, but he spends a lot of time thinking "en masse"....;)

the commentary is more meaningful. all that means is it went from zero to a bit above zero.

Thats pretty amazing here in MA though.

I hear you on the commentary, would you like some counter commentary? you know i'm more than happy to go googling....in fact here i go :D

Interesting column regarding the potential Scott Brown victory - that such a victory goes beyond simply a Republican wave in 2010, and to a much deeper voter agitation against the entire political status quo.

-The very essence of the tea party revolt...

___

The Massachusetts Polls and the November Election

The most startling news since Barack Obama’s colossal victory over Hillary Clinton in Iowa was the Democratic poll in Massachusetts the other day showing the little-known Republican Scott Brown beating the state’s attorney general, Martha Coakley, in the special contest for the late Ted Kennedy’s Senate seat by a point. A subsequent poll by the Boston Globe had the Democrat winning by 15. Somebody is very wrong here, obviously, and we won’t know until next Tuesday’s election which poll got the Massachusetts electorate right. But if the Democratic poll is closer to the truth, and if Coakley can’t come up with something to pull Brown’s numbers down over the next week, she is going to lose and a Republican is going to win an ineffable symbolic victory against Barack Obama and especially against health care.

But a Brown victory in Massachusetts would suggest something rather more complicated than a simple Republican wave in 2010. It suggests that disgust with the political system has reached a level never before seen in the modern era, a disgust so profound that a little-known Republican can come to inhabit the Liberal Lion’s office.

Commentary » Blog Archive » The Massachusetts Polls and the November Election

Check these links out within this link Jillian. Scott Brown « The Washington Independent

and these are more stretching but still here they are

Pols & politics: Sen. Scott Brown leads cyber-Senate race - BostonHerald.com
Newsmax - Poll Shows Republican Can Win Mass. Senate Seat

Don't get me wrong I know the probability is a Coakley win, i've lived here long enough to know how my electorate is (hell we had a chance to eliminate our state income tax and we voted to keep it). Still there is a chance and every day it seems the chance is getting better.

Check these links out within this link Jillian. Scott Brown « The Washington Independent

Don't get me wrong I know the probability is a Coakley win, i've lived here long enough to know how my electorate is (hell we had a chance to eliminate our state income tax and we voted to keep it). Still there is a chance and every day it seems the chance is getting better.

debate tonight should be good.

why do they put signs in carver? nobody can read them.:razz:

I hear you on the commentary, would you like some counter commentary? you know i'm more than happy to go googling....in fact here i go :D

well, they'd have to be as good at what they do as nate silver is.

or we could go here: ;)

Democrat Martha Coakley, buoyed by her durable statewide popularity, enjoys a solid, 15-percentage-point lead over Republican rival Scott Brown as the race for US Senate enters the homestretch, according to a new Boston Globe poll of likely voters.

Senate poll: Coakley up 15 points - The Boston Globe

Democrat Martha Coakley, buoyed by her durable statewide popularity, enjoys a solid, 15-percentage-point lead over Republican rival Scott Brown as the race for US Senate enters the homestretch, according to a new Boston Globe poll of likely voters.

or here...

deweydefeatstruman.jpg

Evidence seems to be on your side...but can you imagine the political earthquake if

he were to win???

Sure, it would be great feather in the GOP's cap to grab Ted Kennedy's seat - and in "Taxachussetts", of all places. But it's as likely to happen as Dems keeping Byron Dorgan's seat in N. Dakota.

Mitt Romney
Jane Swifth
Cellucci

Those were the previous 3 governors, all republican. List of Governors of Massachusetts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We even have a few repubs in our state senate (about 1 out of 10 are republican but still) Massachusetts Senate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Our local unions support him (police and fire) and the blue collar working class people support him (mechanics, construction).

He has a good chance.

Ok, maybe I shouldn't make too many assupmtions, then, since I don't like people doing it about my state, either.

I stand by what I said in response to Maple's comment, though. Doesn't seem to me that what Clinton reportedly said about Obama would be enough to make a current Obama supporter decide to vote for a guy from the party that's been relentlessly obstructing him in Congress.

The Brown/Coakley debate tonight will likely prove crucial to both candidates.

If Scott Brown can continue to come off as intelligent, reasonable, and strong on smaller government and national security as he has up to this point, he might very well pull off one of the biggest political upsets in the modern era.

What is certain is that Coakely is now running scared, and will have to step up and deliver a strong debate showing - something most thought unnecessary just a couple months ago.
___

Coakley goes on offensive just before last debate

Attorney General Martha Coakley went on the offensive today, saying that her Republican opponent would move the country backward if Massachusetts residents elected him to the US Senate next week.

Coakley made the comments just hours before of the race's final debate tonight at UMass Boston, marking a much more aggressive tone for the Democratic nominee. Early in the race, Coakley would barely utter Republican nominee Scott Brown's name. This morning, she said it about a dozen times in 10 minutes. She criticized his stance on health care, gay marriage, and taxes as she sought to link Brown to former president George W. Bush.

Coakley goes on offensive just before last debate - Local News Updates - The Boston Globe
____

Voter responses to the new Coakley attacks against Brown...

The "haves" and "more haves"?? Funny, I didn't realize that the child care tax credit, reducing the marriage tax penalty, and limiting the death tax (which all are part of the "Bush tax cuts" wouldn't benefit working people like me. So why does Martha oppose these too?? Maybe she needs to run against Bush/Cheney because voters prefer Scott Brown on the issues.

Sure, it would be great feather in the GOP's cap to grab Ted Kennedy's seat - and in "Taxachussetts", of all places. But it's as likely to happen as Dems keeping Byron Dorgan's seat in N. Dakota.

Mitt Romney
Jane Swifth
Cellucci

He has a good chance.

Ok, maybe I shouldn't make too many assupmtions, then, since I don't like people doing it about my state, either.

I stand by what I said in response to Maple's comment, though. Doesn't seem to me that what Clinton reportedly said about Obama would be enough to make a current Obama supporter decide to vote for a guy from the party that's been relentlessly obstructing him in Congress.

Don't get me wrong erik, If I was betting money on this race I'd place my bet on Coakley....but signs are good for Brown and seem to be looking better each day.

or here...

deweydefeatstruman.jpg

You do have to understand that the Boston Globe has FOX News status within my state.

That is to say we call it the "Boston Globe Democrat"

But still even the more neutral boston hearld has coakley up by ~11 in their lastest reported poll.

I know, Del. It's not like polling has improved since the Dewey campaign.

Nope...

I really love when people pull out that picture, though.

yeah, polling is an exact science now. no one ever lies to pollsters, and pollsters are always right. that's why obama won in nh in '08.
oh, wait-he didn't. oops.

CBS Poll: Obama Leaps Ahead In N.H. - CBS News

all i can go by is what i see and hear, and what i see and hear is scott brown getting much more support than i ever thought he would. like pilgrim said, if i was betting i'd put my money on coakley, but this race is going to be a lot closer than people think.

I know, Del. It's not like polling has improved since the Dewey campaign.

Nope...

I really love when people pull out that picture, though.

There was a con at a certain other forum that actually argued the "Dewey Defeats Truman" debacle was an example of the liberal media's incompetence.

:lol::lol::lol:

(For those who don't get it, look up the history of the Chicago Trib during that time period.)

There is a whole 7 days to go before you guys go to the polls, anything is possible.

Forum List

Back