Can anyone tell me what this is?

Sunshine

Trust the pie.
Dec 17, 2009
I took this pic in an antique store in Virginia. I was going to inquire, but got into buying a pair of aquamarine earrings and completely forgot.

Various241_zpsbf5c3697.jpg

It is a device used most commonly in the medical treatment of circus elephants. It is affixed to an elephant's foreskin to stretch it out while they circumcise the elephant. They are very rare and you don't seem many of them now days as the practice of circumcising elephants has pretty much gone by the wayside.

I took this pic in an antique store in Virginia. I was going to inquire, but got into buying a pair of aquamarine earrings and completely forgot.

Just a shot in the dark but I'm thinking Mezoamerican. Could be completely wrong but that's the impression I was left with when I saw it.

The other thing, if it's brass then it wouldn't be original Mezoamerican, (could be a copy) or it could simply be Chinese in origin but I don't remember seeing anything resembling that in the far east.

Just a shot in the dark but I'm thinking Mezoamerican. Could be completely wrong but that's the impression I was left with when I saw it.

It's actually a politician from antiquity. He had his head so far up his ass he didn't notice the volcanic eruption and was sealed in molten lava. A craftsmen later made a mold and encased him in brass to assure future pols would avoid putting their head so far up their ass. Sadly, Congress never got the memo.

The other thing, if it's brass then it wouldn't be original Mezoamerican, (could be a copy) or it could simply be Chinese in origin but I don't remember seeing anything resembling that in the far east.

I didn't see anything like it in the far east either.

Forum List

Back