Can Any Dem/lib Tell Us What Agency The Govt Has Run Efficiently?

Those private for profit colleges have done a wonderful job. Same with prisons.

What evidence is there that they haven't done a wonderful job?
All of it.

List one example.
It's not my job to educate your dumb azz. You not knowing that private prisons have been a huge failure and prime example of how privatization cause self perpetuating looting of tax payer funds, or the scams of private colleges, it can only indicate your lack of common knowledge.

Something being popularly believed does not make that thing true.

Assuming that something is widely known, does not mean that everyone knows it.

Refusing to provide some information when requested because it is perceived as being widely known does not make your position look stronger.

Asking others to look up facts backing your position when you have failed to provide them is a cop-out.
It doesn't matter how many links to prove a point are posted for some of these brainwashed idiots. Posters like bripat will just weasel out of facing facts or change the subject. A normal person would simply google or bing private college scams and have access to and endless stream of data. But game players like bripat choose to play stupid or naive. Private college scams and rip offs have been in the news for years. Here is one of the latest articles.

consumerist.com/2014/07/24/corinthian-colleges-employee-we-work-for-the-biggest-scam-company-in-the-world/

You think the private sector is more efficient than the government? Well, this coming winter, YOU go out and shovel the snow off the road in front of your house...

...and hope all of your neighbors do the same, in case you plan on going anywhere.

How does that prove government is efficient?

Liberals don't get it. They think because some level of govt shovels their snow or picks up their garbage that means it is being done efficiently. Unless there is a profit motive, no task will ever be done efficiently.

We have private garbage collection, in parts of the city they have city garbage collection. ours is cheaper, always on time, and the contractor is making money.
here in Anaheim they contract out the service.....doesnt seem to be any better....or cheaper.....they come by pick up the shit and leave...just like when the city did it....

Government contracting out a service is not the same as having companies compete on the market to provide that service. That being said, I've never heard of private companies doing a worse job than government run operations. Anecdotes are proof of exactly nothing.
their not?.....so when Katz,someone who has no practical knowledge of Pot, tells us that because Pot is in your system for a few weeks,that means that you are still high all that time and should not be driving.....im not supposed to believe myself and others, who have smoked the stuff,and know from personal experience that she is full of shit....that Anecdote is not proof that she is full of shit?.....

The post office will deliver a letter from my house in NJ to my brothers house in California for 49 cents

Let's see private industry match that

A private corporation will deliver the contents of your letter for free instantaneously. Who mails letters anymore?
People who don't want or trust their letters and correspondence to be permanently recorded on a net that can be hacked by untold numbers of global hackers. Also people who need to send hard copies of letters and documents. Add the folks who like to give a personal touch to their greetings, notes and correspondence.
and there are still millions of those people out there.....

Three Big USPS MYTHS:

Myth 1: The USPS' losses show that it's not a viable business

Myth 2. Everyone knows that snail mail is dead, so USPS can't survive

Myth 3. Privatized mail delivery would be cheaper and more effective

Foolish bottom line
If capitalism is about delivering the best goods and services at the cheapest prices -- and not about plutocrats wringing profits from the rest of us -- then why is the USPS being forced to slowly kill itself?

The privatization of public assets is something we've seen over and over and it rarely, if ever, works for the public. The example of Chicago parking meters is just repeated time and again. With a strong profit motive, private companies are highly incentivized to cut service to the bone and raise revenues as fast as possible. That's not in the interest of good public service, where the origins of the post office are.

Congress created the post office as a cabinet-level office in 1792 under specific Constitutional authority. In the past, its expansion into other services was seen as desirable, for instance in banking, when Congress formed the Postal Savings System. From 1911 to 1967, citizens deposited money at the post office and received interest. In 1970, the post office became the quasi-independent U.S. Postal Service. This move was significant, since USPS became a legal monopoly and forced it to operate without subsidies (good!), which were 25% of the 1971 budget. It also allowed the USPS to act more business-like, to borrow and invest.

But now especially, Congress, backed by big money sponsors, refuses to let the USPS act as a business. There's no reason, apart from political will, that reasonable changes -- yes, including modest price increases -- couldn't sustain a public postal system even with its significant challenges.

So the next time you hear about the postal service losing billions of dollars or being unable to compete, remember that it doesn't have to be this way.

More: How the Postal Service Is Being Gutted

That article sums it up nicely.

Laugh out loud indeed at that article.

To sum it up: the government is keeping the USPS from operating effectively. Is this supposed to be an argument for why the government SHOULD be running the USPS?

You guys keep ranting about turning all of medicine over to the government. What has the government ever run efficiently? the post office? DOD? Social security? medicare? welfare? border security? the budget?

Why would you want to turn more of our economy over to them?
I'm 78. I've been using the Postal Service all my life and it's performed flawlessly.

Also, Social Security has been performing flawlessly for 77 years.

And Medicare has been working quite nicely for me and many others.
You guys keep ranting about turning all of medicine over to the government. What has the government ever run efficiently? the post office? DOD? Social security? medicare? welfare? border security? the budget?

I'm 78. I've been using the Postal Service all my life and it's performed flawlessly.

Also, Social Security has been performing flawlessly for 77 years.

And Medicare has been working quite nicely for me and many others.
I'm 58. I've been using email for the last 20 years. It's worked flawlessly and I haven't had to wait days for delivery. Oh yeah, I've never had to buy a stamp.

How many crooked corporations are involved in your email system? Comparing USPS to email is comparing apples to oranges. Email does not PHYSICALLY deliver - it ELECTRONICALLY delivers. I like USPS for what it does and I like email for what it does.
So does Fed-Ex, DHL and numerous other companies, far more efficiently too. WTF are you, a progressive dinosaure?
what do you mean by more efficiently?.....running of the business or the delivering?....

Why do I still receive so much junk mail in my regular USPS snail mail? Why don't all those companies choose to send EVERYTHING via email? Hint: It's because email has not, and can not, replace USPS.

My mailman also delivers packages.
it has also been proven,unless things have changed in the last couple of years,that advertising by Mail is the most effective way to advertise......The Mailing Industry Job Study in 2012, reported that there are more than 8.4 million jobs and more than $1.3 trillion in revenue attributed to the mailing industry......the PO itself made 16 billion last year on AD Mail alone....its a big industry.....

I will say one thing for sure, no one could do worse at medical care than the current system, which is all about greed, that's why doctors can no longer diagnose anything without a battery of lab tests.

What evidence is there that they haven't done a wonderful job?
All of it.

List one example.
It's not my job to educate your dumb azz. You not knowing that private prisons have been a huge failure and prime example of how privatization cause self perpetuating looting of tax payer funds, or the scams of private colleges, it can only indicate your lack of common knowledge.

Something being popularly believed does not make that thing true.

Assuming that something is widely known, does not mean that everyone knows it.

Refusing to provide some information when requested because it is perceived as being widely known does not make your position look stronger.

Asking others to look up facts backing your position when you have failed to provide them is a cop-out.
It doesn't matter how many links to prove a point are posted for some of these brainwashed idiots. Posters like bripat will just weasel out of facing facts or change the subject. A normal person would simply google or bing private college scams and have access to and endless stream of data. But game players like bripat choose to play stupid or naive. Private college scams and rip offs have been in the news for years. Here is one of the latest articles.

consumerist.com/2014/07/24/corinthian-colleges-employee-we-work-for-the-biggest-scam-company-in-the-world/

Exactly, which is why I only respond to such idiots for the sake of the "guest" audience - while hoping some of them are sane.

How many crooked corporations are involved in your email system? Comparing USPS to email is comparing apples to oranges. Email does not PHYSICALLY deliver - it ELECTRONICALLY delivers. I like USPS for what it does and I like email for what it does.
So does Fed-Ex, DHL and numerous other companies, far more efficiently too. WTF are you, a progressive dinosaure?
Pure deflection and escape from your lost argument. We are discussing a letter that currently cost forty nine cents for a stamp for mailing. None of those companies you mention will do the same thing for the same price.
So, we need to keep a white elephant alive so paranoid people can save a few cents to send letters?

Camp, honestly, do you think before posting drivel? Sorry, that's really not a question I suppose.
So if a person doesn't want to have, or need the net, you are suggesting that they must have it and pay for it and support the companies that own and control it by subscribing to the net. You want to take away our freedom not to be connected to the electronic communications and recording process's that we decide as individuals not to be a part of. Tough crap for the folks who only need to pay a few bills every month for a cost of forty nine cents each. You want to force people to give that up and buy a computer, learn to use it and pay for it's connection to the net.
Spoken like a true "progressive" dinosaur. USPS will be phased out. It will be bipartisan and inevitable. Grow up. It is a service that has already outlived in usefulness and championed by those who who cannot stand to see government downsized.
maybe.....since they have been talking about that since the 80's it might be just talk.....even today its all talk....

Last edited:
Has anyone ever received a package via email? My mailman delivers many small packages via the U.S. Postal Service - and I really like that.

Social Security is also very efficient - and my checks are electronically direct deposited to my bank each month - and I really like that.
Packages I prefer to get FedEx or UPS most of the time. When a package gets to my city via USPS it is usually 3 to 4 days from being delivered. Conversely, when a package gets to my city via UPS or FedEx it is almost guaranteed to be at my door the next day.
if the package is first class its there just as soon.....

Has anyone ever received a package via email? My mailman delivers many small packages via the U.S. Postal Service - and I really like that.

Social Security is also very efficient - and my checks are electronically direct deposited to my bank each month - and I really like that.
Packages I prefer to get FedEx or UPS most of the time. When a package gets to my city via USPS it is usually 3 to 4 days from being delivered. Conversely, when a package gets to my city via UPS or FedEx it is almost guaranteed to be at my door the next day.

USPS delivers small packages more efficiently.
depends.....

Not in my experience. It could still be true of course, but even if it is, what makes it so? Is there anything about what makes it efficient in that regard that could not be duplicated and/or improved upon in the private sector if the USPS was not around?
in the 33 years i was in there it has been provin time after time by independent survey companies comparing the 3 that there is not much different in the end result (delivery) by the big 3....they all fuck up but mostly the thing is delivered in the time they said it would....

I can understand the frustration of having people refuse to visit, read, or comprehend links you provide. I always try to default to providing the links anyway and usually try to extract some of the most relevant content and put it in a quote block to make it clearer. It is more work, but I find it is worth it to increase the chances that someone will read it.

Thanks for the link. I don't watch or read the news enough to keep abreast of current events.

A lot of that sounds pretty bad about that school provider. I went through University of Phoenix myself, and can tell you that my experience was not the same.

Three Big USPS MYTHS:

Myth 1: The USPS' losses show that it's not a viable business

Myth 2. Everyone knows that snail mail is dead, so USPS can't survive

Myth 3. Privatized mail delivery would be cheaper and more effective

Foolish bottom line
If capitalism is about delivering the best goods and services at the cheapest prices -- and not about plutocrats wringing profits from the rest of us -- then why is the USPS being forced to slowly kill itself?

The privatization of public assets is something we've seen over and over and it rarely, if ever, works for the public. The example of Chicago parking meters is just repeated time and again. With a strong profit motive, private companies are highly incentivized to cut service to the bone and raise revenues as fast as possible. That's not in the interest of good public service, where the origins of the post office are.

Congress created the post office as a cabinet-level office in 1792 under specific Constitutional authority. In the past, its expansion into other services was seen as desirable, for instance in banking, when Congress formed the Postal Savings System. From 1911 to 1967, citizens deposited money at the post office and received interest. In 1970, the post office became the quasi-independent U.S. Postal Service. This move was significant, since USPS became a legal monopoly and forced it to operate without subsidies (good!), which were 25% of the 1971 budget. It also allowed the USPS to act more business-like, to borrow and invest.

But now especially, Congress, backed by big money sponsors, refuses to let the USPS act as a business. There's no reason, apart from political will, that reasonable changes -- yes, including modest price increases -- couldn't sustain a public postal system even with its significant challenges.

So the next time you hear about the postal service losing billions of dollars or being unable to compete, remember that it doesn't have to be this way.

More: How the Postal Service Is Being Gutted

That article sums it up nicely.

Laugh out loud indeed at that article.

To sum it up: the government is keeping the USPS from operating effectively. Is this supposed to be an argument for why the government SHOULD be running the USPS?
lets put it like this.....they dont help it....and i mean BOTH parties.....if they dont want to run a business they own and operate as efficiently as possible ....then they should give it up to a company or companies that will.....and most of the people who actually move the mail would agree with that.....most of them think the middle managers on up to the PMG moron are terrible at what they do....

Not in my experience. It could still be true of course, but even if it is, what makes it so? Is there anything about what makes it efficient in that regard that could not be duplicated and/or improved upon in the private sector if the USPS was not around?
in the 33 years i was in there it has been provin time after time by independent survey companies comparing the 3 that there is not much different in the end result (delivery) by the big 3....they all fuck up but mostly the thing is delivered in the time they said it would....

A lot would change if the USPS disappeared. UPS and FedEx would have to shift their strategies to compensate for the void, other companies might be motivated to step into that area as well. If the USPS is, as the link Lakhota provided seems to suggest, self-funded, I'm not sure how much would be gained from eliminating it though. If tax money is being funneled to it, there is some incentive to cut it.

Then there is something wrong at your Post Office. I've found delivery by Postal Service to be as fast if not faster than UPS, faster than FedEx, they deliver on Saturday, and my packages are never mangled by USPS.

Lakhota,

The following might interest you and others in our old fart category:

If you open a checking account and a (minimum $1,000) savings account with Santander Bank:

Santander Banking Savings Loans and Mortgages - Santander

And if you have direct deposit (Social Security + pension, etc.) into that checking account in excess of $1,000 monthly.

And if you allow them to pay two monthly bills for you (e.g., gas, electric, phone, etc).

They will deposit $20 into that savings account every month!

That's $240 a year -- in addition to regular interest. Pretty good for just taking the trouble to open two online accounts.

Forum List

Back