Votes: 14 87.5%

• Total voters

DontBeStupid

Look it up!
Jun 23, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Simple question.

Can a union teacher be fired?

I see a lot of people answering this incorrectly. So lets see who thinks what and get this cleared up already.

Yes, but it's a very complicated & lengthy process. And that process costs Taxpayer dollars.

Simple question.

I see a lot of people answering this incorrectly. So lets see who thinks what and get this cleared up already.

I'm SOOOO glad you want to clear this issue up.. I have a dandy NYCity teacher firing flowchart right here.

http://reason.com/assets/db/12639308918768.pdf

As you can CLEARLY see --- firing a union teacher is such a simple process..

flacaltenn-albums-charts-picture4544-teacherfire1.jpg

Hang in there.. Just a few more simple steps..

flacaltenn-albums-charts-picture4545-teacherfire2.jpg

Ahhh -- there you are.. Hey moron -- the practical answer is NO.. You CAN'T fire a teacher without STEALING vast sums of time and money from education... It's like asking --- Can I get a handgun permit in New York City?

:cuckoo:

Last edited:
They can be fired, but it's rare. The worst teachers on the planet are protected from being dismissed due to poor job performance. Most get fired because of lewd behavior or other reasons that have nothing to do with their teaching skills. Tenure was originally meant to protect college professors from being fired because of their political views since they often wrote papers on political issues. Now, public school teachers get tenure after a few short years and then it's nearly impossible to get rid of the bad ones.

Only a small percent of teachers are actually fired compared to other career fields. The link below gives some stats. They can completely let the students down and still enjoy job security.

Keeping Bad Teachers in Front of Students | Teachers Union Facts

Simple question.

Better question... is it worth the war, headache and act of god it would take.... to even try and fire a union teacher?

Simple question.

In NYC it is a very hard, expensive, difficult, and long process.

Christine Rubino had been a teacher in Brooklyn for 15 years without any disciplinary history when she was terminated in response to comments she posted about students on her Facebook page. Specifically, Rubino posted that her 5th-grade students "deserved to drown." And, when asked whether she would "let little Kwame float away," Rubino responded with: "Yes. I would not throw a life jacket in for a million," reports the Huffington Post.

Even more shockingly, the comments came just one day after a 12-year-old girl drowned during a class trip to Long Island beach.

A disciplinary hearing officer found the teacher guilty of "misconduct, neglect of duty, and conduct unbecoming her profession" and, as a result, Rubino was terminated. She subsequently appealed to the N.Y. Supreme Court, which overturned the decision.

N.Y. Teacher's Firing Overturned, Despite Facebook Wish that Students Drown - Delaware Employment Law Blog

Simple question.

I'm SOOOO glad you want to clear this issue up.. I have a dandy NYCity teacher firing flowchart right here.

http://reason.com/assets/db/12639308918768.pdf

As you can CLEARLY see --- firing a union teacher is such a simple process..

flacaltenn-albums-charts-picture4544-teacherfire1.jpg

Hang in there.. Just a few more simple steps..

flacaltenn-albums-charts-picture4545-teacherfire2.jpg

Ahhh -- there you are.. Hey moron -- the practical answer is NO.. You CAN'T fire a teacher without STEALING vast sums of time and money from education... It's like asking --- Can I get a handgun permit in New York City?

:cuckoo:

NYC is a nightmare. They're actually being forced to keep pedophile teachers on the payroll. They house them in buildings away from the children. They get paid, but they're not allowed to be around children. Teacher Unions in NY are completely out of control. They'll have to be challenged at some point.

A New York City teacher who said she was wrongfully fired at age 80 has lost one bid to get her job back. But she's still pursuing another avenue.

A Manhattan state court ruling this week says Lillie Leon's dismissal last year was "not shocking to one's sense of fairness."

Leon's lawyer, Stewart Karlin, noted Friday she still has a federal age-discrimination suit pending. The Manhattan case contested the firing under state law.

City lawyers say Leon was justly dismissed. They note that an administrative hearing officer found she repeatedly refused assignments.

Leon was fired after 34 years of teaching.

She said she was dismissed after complaining about a new room assignment. She said it forced her to shepherd her Queens kindergarteners to a distant bathroom on a bad knee.

80-Year-Old NYC Teacher's Firing OK, Court Says | NBC New York

Christine Rubino had been a teacher in Brooklyn for 15 years without any disciplinary history when she was terminated in response to comments she posted about students on her Facebook page. Specifically, Rubino posted that her 5th-grade students "deserved to drown." And, when asked whether she would "let little Kwame float away," Rubino responded with: "Yes. I would not throw a life jacket in for a million," reports the Huffington Post.

Even more shockingly, the comments came just one day after a 12-year-old girl drowned during a class trip to Long Island beach.

A disciplinary hearing officer found the teacher guilty of "misconduct, neglect of duty, and conduct unbecoming her profession" and, as a result, Rubino was terminated. She subsequently appealed to the N.Y. Supreme Court, which overturned the decision.

N.Y. Teacher's Firing Overturned, Despite Facebook Wish that Students Drown - Delaware Employment Law Blog

That's one of the saddest stories I've ever heard...

My aunt and uncle were career NYC principals. So they were on the "management" side. I've heard a lot of stories -- but that one is sick...

NYC 'Rubber Rooms', where pedophile teachers chill out on the Taxpayers' dime. Yeah, NY Teacher Unions will have to be challenged at some point. They've made an awful mess of our Public School System.

NYC 'Rubber Rooms', where pedophile teachers chill out on the Taxpayers' dime. Yeah, NY Teacher Unions will have to be challenged at some point. They've made an awful mess of our Public School System.

NY is a prime example about how teachers unions dont care one iota about the children.

NY is a prime example about how teachers unions dont care one iota about the children.

Don't feel too bad. Pauli is lying.

It's nice to see so many "conservatives" finally admit that yes, teachers can be fired.

So, maybe we drop the rhetoric of "Teachers can never be fired!" Ok?

Don't feel too bad. Pauli is lying.

It's nice to see so many "conservatives" finally admit that yes, teachers can be fired.

So, maybe we drop the rhetoric of "Teachers can never be fired!" Ok?

We all know that saying they cannot be fired is merely a slight exaggeration. Most that deserve to be fired get to keep their jobs. A teacher doesn't get fired for incompetence. They have to do something really, really bad and, even then, they may not lose their jobs. But then, the unions aren't there to protect the children, just the teachers, both the good and bad. Our children suffer. Many get through school without being able to read or write, but the teacher gets good salary and benefits and that is all they care about.

Forum List

Back