Can a Christian Lose Their Salvation?

It's a backwards question. A Christian doesn't know he is saved until the judgment, which is after he dies.

• Banned
It's a backwards question. A Christian doesn't know he is saved until the judgment, which is after he dies.
You are wrong. I know that I am saved. I have Gods assurance on that.

Although God offers each one of us salvation, it is up to us to accept it. It does not come by simply professing with one's mouth that they believe but by showing one's faith through good works that they believe and accept the Lord's gospel. For this reason the Apostle James taught:

James 2:14-26
14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?
26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

It is true that we can become the very elect of God. But it is also true that even the very elect can be deceived. The more light and truth we receive, the more careful we must be to guard against sinning against the higher light.

Matthew 24:24
24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

Judas Iscariot was among the elect and was deceived. This is a warning from the Lord to those who are given the greater light to know the Lord and afterwards reject him.

Matthew 12:31
31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

Those who who commit blasphemy against the Holy Ghost are known as sons of perdition.

John 17:12
12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.

Cain, who spoke with the Lord, but rebelled against him became perdition. The following verses were spoken unto Cain when he made an unacceptable offering knowing full well that it was wrong. Later he hearkened unto the voice of Satan and rose up and slew his brother.

Moses 5:22-25
22 And the Lord said unto Cain: Why art thou wroth? Why is thy countenance fallen?
23 If thou doest well, thou shalt be accepted. And if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door, and Satan desireth to have thee; and except thou shalt hearken unto my commandments, I will deliver thee up, and it shall be unto thee according to his desire. And thou shalt rule over him;
24 For from this time forth thou shalt be the father of his lies; thou shalt be called Perdition; for thou wast also before the world.
25 And it shall be said in time to come—That these abominations were had from Cain; for he rejected the greater counsel which was had from God; and this is a cursing which I will put upon thee, except thou repent.

We must not only exercise faith to be baptized and receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, but we must endure faithfully to the end of our lives if we expect to receive salvation into the kingdom of God. It is not simply a submission to the will of God but a change of heart to desire to do good continually.

Ezekiel 18 lays out the new covenant in contract form. The doctrine of once saved always saved is in clear and direct opposition to God's given Word.

• Banned
Ezekiel 18 lays out the new covenant in contract form. The doctrine of once saved always saved is in clear and direct opposition to God's given Word.
Dude. That's Old Testament. It has nothing to do with Salvation.

I think if you were truly saved to begin with, you would not fall away....
I do agree with that part, so it answers itself.

The next question would be do you believe God chose the saved beforehand

no, -
The reason there is a debate is because the Scriptures teach that salvation is a gift from God that cannot be earned, but they also offer warnings about falling away.

think again, the forgery above is what you believe in ... hopefully you will earn your way anyhow.

Forum List

Back