Zone1 Refusing to forgive--after God has forgiven you

1miseryindex

Platinum Member
Nov 17, 2023
USA
This is an interesting passage, St Mt 18:21-

In which Jesus tells the parable about the king who forgave his servant's debt, but then the servant found someone, a fellow servant, who owed him a far lesser sum and demanded that he pay back what he owe, or else. The fellow servant couldn't pay him back so he (and his family?) ended up in jail until the debt was paid.

This passage is a very strong one, btw, against the old "once saved always saved" LIE. The king is a representation of God, the ultimate Judge... Here we are shown that salvation CAN indeed be lost.

A lot of Christians (at one time yours truly also) couldn't "forgive from the heart" as Jesus requires.

No grudge holders will be allowed into Heaven... where there is only love and peace.

Maybe that's why (one reason why) Jesus said that FEW find the narrow way There. .?

There is a fine line between forgiving and enabling/condoning. This distinction was clearer in Jesus' time.

There is a fine line between forgiving and enabling/condoning. This distinction was clearer in Jesus' time.
The servant in that parable demanded actual, tangible PAY BACK

If you hold a grudge against someone but decline to try to force that person to repay you, maybe God will not hold that against you. But I say

Why take a chance?

In any case, this person in the parable demanded payback in this life... whereas God told us.. commanded us not to hold a grudge (Leviticus 19). Somewhere in the Word it says that God said

"Vengeance is mine; I will repay"

The lord doesn't forgive without repentance. Forgiveness must be asked for. Good enough for God is good enough for me...

The lord doesn't forgive without repentance. Forgiveness must be asked for. Good enough for God is good enough for me...
Most of the time, human beings don't have a clue whether some person they are interacting with has repented or not

Most of the time, human beings don't have a clue whether some person they are interacting with has repented or not
You know when they ask for forgiveness, and you witness them turning back from, or making right the transgression against you.

You know when they ask for forgiveness, and you witness them turning back from, or making right the transgression against you.
I'm no spring chicken and I have never seen this!

True, I don't socialize much...That's because I learned that human beings are selfish and lawless, etc.. even when they claim to believe in Jesus... Hey, even the demons believe and tremble.. James 2:12 or thereabouts... Big deal. Believing is easy.. obeying is another story

Jesus said

"If you love me, you will keep My commandments"

I'm no spring chicken and I have never seen this!

True, I don't socialize much...That's because I learned that human beings are selfish and lawless, etc.. even when they claim to believe in Jesus... Hey, even the demons believe and tremble.. James 2:12 or thereabouts... Big deal. Believing is easy.. obeying is another story

Jesus said

"If you love me, you will keep My commandments"
Not sure what you're trying to say here, but... Apologizing, or saying sorry, is a far cry from repentance. Which means to turn back, undo, or make right.

Simply running around wronging people, and telling God "sorry" doesn't cut it...

Not sure what you're trying to say here, but... Apologizing, or saying sorry, is a far cry from repentance. Which means to turn back, undo, or make right.

Simply running around wronging people, and telling God "sorry" doesn't cut it...
you're telling ME that?

as per my above post

THAT is the reason I don't socialize much... Most people do not take Jesus's Words to heart.. like, u know.. when doing so causes discomfort of one sort or another. Am I perfect that way? No... but some people have long-ago given up trying. I guess those would be the Once saved always saved folks

In which Jesus tells the parable about the king who forgave his servant's debt, but then the servant found someone, a fellow servant, who owed him a far lesser sum and demanded that he pay back what he owe, or else. The fellow servant couldn't pay him back so he (and his family?) ended up in jail until the debt was paid.

This passage is a very strong one, btw, against the old "once saved always saved" LIE. The king is a representation of God, the ultimate Judge... Here we are shown that salvation CAN indeed be lost.

A lot of Christians (at one time yours truly also) couldn't "forgive from the heart" as Jesus requires.

No grudge holders will be allowed into Heaven... where there is only love and peace.

Maybe that's why (one reason why) Jesus said that FEW find the narrow way There. .?
Where in the story does it say that GOD forgave the servant? The verse says the King forgave the servant.
It is a parable explaining how we are to treat others. It has nothing to do with salvation.

what has this got to do with OSAS? Must suck to be you not knowing if youre saved; youre not because you follow the rcc. Us true Believers know we are saved- there was nothing we did to deserve it and nothing we can do to lose it. I think you should do a study on salvation and justification.

John 10:28-29

and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand.
AD
1 John 5:13
Verse Concepts

These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life.
John 3:16
Verse Concepts

“For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.
Romans 5:1
Verse Concepts

Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,
Romans 8:31-39

What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who is against us? He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him over for us all, how will He not also with Him freely give us all things? Who will bring a charge against God’s elect? God is the one who justifies;read more.
who is the one who condemns? Christ Jesus is He who died, yes, rather who was raised, who is at the right hand of God, who also intercedes for us. Who will separate us from the love of Christ? Will tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? Just as it is written,
“For Your sake we are being put to death all day long;
We were considered as sheep to be slaughtered.”
But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Source: 17 Bible verses about Eternal Security

The Nazis murdered many of my family members. But never anyone came who liked to get forgiveness. I fear it is very hypothetical what you say here. I have even a bad feeling if someone really had come and had asked for forgiveness and had gotten this forgiveness. I prefer god alone - the only real existing justice - decides whatever has to be decided in such a case. It is by the way said god punishes people up to the third or fourth generation for the evil deeds of their ancestors. But it is also said he rewards good deeds up to the thousandth generation.

I personally think that god punishes all little sins immediatelly - some say even he punishes also good deeds immediatelly - but it seem to exist people where it is not so. I wouldn't want to swap places with them.

Last edited:
The Nazis murdered many of my family members. But never anyone came who liked to get forgiveness. I fear it is very hypothetical what you say here. I have even a bad feeling if someone really had come and had asked for forgiveness and had gotten this forgiveness. I prefer god alone - the only real existing justice - decides whatever has to be decided in such a case. It is by the way said god punishes people up to the third or fourth generation for the evil deeds of their ancestors. But it is also said he rewards good deeds up to the thousandth generation.

I personaly think that god punishes all little sins immediatelly - some say even he punishes also good deeds immediatelly - but it seem to exist people where it is not so. I wouldn't want to swap places with them.
God isn't pulling any levers or pushing any buttons. It's all self correcting.

God isn't pulling any levers or pushing any buttons. It's all self correcting.

Could you let it be to confront me with your empty phrases? And please let it be to use the words "god" or "bible" (or "scripture") when you speak with me.

Forum List

Back