California shows how to balance budget

California, the favorite whipping boy for some Nutter's, is showing how to move from billions in deficit spending to a balanced budget with the prospect of surpluses in the near future. And that in just 2 years.

How did Gov. Brown and the Democrat-controlled legislature do it so fast? Spending cuts, higher taxes and an improved economy, a three-pronged attack on the deficit. Unlike the mantra of the right which advocates only cuts in spending, the Governor and the Legislature realized it takes much more than that to produce a healthy economy and budget.

Can California be a template for Washington? Not so long as the Nutter's in the House cling to their Grover Norquist pledge.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/11/u....html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20130111

Let me ask you a question, Oldguy and don't take it the wrong way! When you listen to Obama is that man smart and I don't want to call some other Presidents dumb? I think Clinton was the smartest modern President and I grew up since Truman. Nixon isn't far behind, but how smart is Obama? Obama definitely has a better personality, but it's hard to tell how smart they are.

I'm just asking your opinion.

I think he's smarter than anybody the GOP put against him. That may not be saying a lot for Obama, but it says plenty about the GOP.

Last I checked the House did in fact approve new taxes.

Only after it was rammed down their throat.

Care to tell us where the cuts are?

They're coming. Of course, instead of debating where and when to cut deliberately and in a spirit of unity, the GOP will insist the cuts be made willy-nilly and in haste by linking it to the debt ceiling deadline.

Once again, they'll posture and prance, but ultimately roll over. But, appearance is more important to them than actual results because they know their supporters are easily conned into believing they are "standing up" for their "values" when, in fact, they're just "lookin' good."

If only Brown were in the White House instead of the ideologue there today

“We have to live within the means we have; otherwise we get to that situation where you get red ink and you go back to cuts,” he said. “I want to avoid the booms and the bust, the borrow and the spend, where we make the promise and then we take back.” -- Jerry Brown, grown up

Watch out now. Jerry Brown is a liberal Democrat! :eek: And I mean a LIBERAL Democrat.

In 2011 net 66,000 people moved to other states. Since 1995 California has lost net 2.4 million residents in domestic migration. But California's population still grows due to mass immigration, both legal and illegal.

Of course, any government can balance a budget raising taxes and cutting spending. But no big government is sustainable if the quality of the taxpayer/entrepreneurial base shrinks.

California, the favorite whipping boy for some Nutter's, is showing how to move from billions in deficit spending to a balanced budget with the prospect of surpluses in the near future. And that in just 2 years.

How did Gov. Brown and the Democrat-controlled legislature do it so fast? Spending cuts, higher taxes and an improved economy, a three-pronged attack on the deficit. Unlike the mantra of the right which advocates only cuts in spending, the Governor and the Legislature realized it takes much more than that to produce a healthy economy and budget.

Can California be a template for Washington? Not so long as the Nutter's in the House cling to their Grover Norquist pledge.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/11/u....html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20130111

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Bless the Governor's heart!
I live in California.
The deficit is not gone.
Unemployment is at 9.8%
Police and Fire are cut to the bone with more layoffs in the future.
UNFUNDED liabilities, the white elephant in the room, are not funded.
Even the Kings are looking to be bought!

I think Dear Jerry is smoking again.

Nobody said things are perfect on the left coast, nor that the recession isn't still on.

But, let me ask you this: Do you see things getting better now?

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Bless the Governor's heart!
I live in California.
The deficit is not gone.
Unemployment is at 9.8%
Police and Fire are cut to the bone with more layoffs in the future.
UNFUNDED liabilities, the white elephant in the room, are not funded.
Even the Kings are looking to be bought!

I think Dear Jerry is smoking again.

Sometimes you can read something and the sheer magnitude of the lie is jaw dropping. That's what the NY Times article is. I too live in California. Brown and the Times supposes that they can say something in New York and no one in California will ever see it. The deficit is not gone. It is larger than ever.

Unemployment is getting higher because more and more companies are leaving the state. Police and fire departments are cut to the bone for two reasons, one is that the state is so broke, it is taking money from cities (that pay police and firefighters) leaving them to struggle with their own lavish union benefits to public service workers. Two cities have already declared bankruptcy, Stockton and San Bernardino.

California has "saved" money by releasing prisoners into the streets. One got early release, and in two hours robbed a bank and was back in custody.

Brown has three tax increases passed simultaneously because those who receive public benefits far, far, outnumber the pitiful few still paying taxes.

In a grab for whatever it can get, the state passed over 800 new laws that took effect January 1 in order to get a few pennies by fines still left after taxes.

Of all the lies, probably the most in your face is that California's economy has improved. Not only is Brown still smoking, but someone should test him for Alzheimers. California is broke. The cities in California are broke.

There is not a car assembly line left in California and New England

Guess again...

Tesla Motors | Premium Electric Vehicles

They just hit the benchmark of making 100 cars in a day up from 5 per day.

280px-Roadster_2.5_windmills_trimmed.jpg

You're right. I love Tesla. I meant high-volume assembly lines.

I hope they are on the right track and their massive budget problems are behind them. However, a look at history should lead one to question their current projections:

May 15, 2012:

The Democratic governor says the general fund deficit has mushroomed from $9.2 billion to $15.7 billion. Most of the widening gap comes from acknowledging that his previous forecast was too optimistic, a concern that economists voiced last summer.

Optimistic projections led to dramatic surge in California budget deficit - State Budget - The Sacramento Bee

I would be somewhat cautious in accepting this new projection based upon the outcome of past forecasts that fell dramatically short. Only time will tell.

Let me ask you a question, Oldguy and don't take it the wrong way! When you listen to Obama is that man smart and I don't want to call some other Presidents dumb? I think Clinton was the smartest modern President and I grew up since Truman. Nixon isn't far behind, but how smart is Obama? Obama definitely has a better personality, but it's hard to tell how smart they are.

I'm just asking your opinion.

I'll answer that.

Absolutely. President Obama is very, very smart. There is no question about it.

Thanks for the laugh. Now that is funny.

I hope they are on the right track and their massive budget problems are behind them. However, a look at history should lead one to question their current projections:

May 15, 2012:

The Democratic governor says the general fund deficit has mushroomed from $9.2 billion to $15.7 billion. Most of the widening gap comes from acknowledging that his previous forecast was too optimistic, a concern that economists voiced last summer.

Optimistic projections led to dramatic surge in California budget deficit - State Budget - The Sacramento Bee

I would be somewhat cautious in accepting this new projection based upon the outcome of past forecasts that fell dramatically short. Only time will tell.

Yes, one should always be cautious of any future projections because nobody knows what the future holds and the motivation for spin is apparent.

But, I still think they are on the right track and that it's a track Washington is not following, and won't follow so long as the GOP clings to its ideological position in the face of reality.

And, frankly, I'm genuinely surprised that the former "Governor Moonbeam" could be this pragmatic. When the voters of California re-elected him again, many years after his previous term, I thought, "Oh, boy. I can't believe they fell for that lunatic again."

I might have been wrong.

Last edited:

May 15, 2012:

Yes, one should always be cautious of any future projections because nobody knows what the future holds and the motivation for spin is apparent.

But, I still think they are on the right track and that it's a track Washington is not following, and won't follow so long as the GOP clings to its ideological position in the face of reality.

And, frankly, I'm genuinely surprised that the former "Governor Moonbeam" could be this pragmatic. When the voters of California re-elected him again, many years after his previous term, I thought, "Oh, boy. I can't believe they fell for that lunatic again."

I might have been wrong.
So, although the old brown hippie says he's proposed cuts to the budget, and you think that it's the right track, you don't think republicans in Washington would go along with that when cuts is what they have wanted all along?

Please explain this weird assertion.

Ae you aware of how you are viewed by people here? I wonder.

I do believe your board name "Lone"laugher, is for a reason.

Try some introspect. You need it.

That offer I made you of $3.37 for a new English tutor for you still stands, Susie.
You need some more seniority here cherry, before anything you say carries any weight.

In the meantime, continue to suck obama's dick. You seem good at that.

I might have been wrong.
So, although the old brown hippie says he's proposed cuts to the budget, and you think that it's the right track, you don't think republicans in Washington would go along with that when cuts is what they have wanted all along?

Jerry Brown SAID he PROPOSED cuts. He really never said anything of the kind and the imaginary proposed cuts never became real cuts.

I do believe your board name "Lone"laugher, is for a reason.

Try some introspect. You need it.

That offer I made you of $3.37 for a new English tutor for you still stands, Susie.
You need some more seniority here cherry, before anything you say carries any weight.

In the meantime, continue to suck obama's dick. You seem good at that.

Yup. There's your rampant cock-lust rearing it's ugly head.

Have you asked the judge in your case to up your meds?

I might have been wrong.

Jerry Brown SAID he PROPOSED cuts. He really never said anything of the kind and the imaginary proposed cuts never became real cuts.
Like obama and the democraps in Washington.

Forum List

Back