Burst of underwater explosions powered Tonga volcano eruption

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Researchers are starting to piece together why the eruption of an underwater volcano in Tonga was so explosive — and what happened in the aftermath. Evidence gathered by two groups suggests that when the volcano’s centre collapsed, it spewed an enormous amount of magma that reacted violently with water, powering several large blasts and hundreds of much smaller explosions.

The Hunga Tonga–Hunga Haʻapai volcano erupted on 15 January 2022, producing the largest atmospheric explosion in recorded history. It sent shock waves around the world and a plume of ash into the upper atmosphere.

I wonder how much, and what specifically, could be done with the knowledge that the caldera had collapsed the day before. I mean, you can't prevent it.

Researchers are starting to piece together why the eruption of an underwater volcano in Tonga was so explosive — and what happened in the aftermath. Evidence gathered by two groups suggests that when the volcano’s centre collapsed, it spewed an enormous amount of magma that reacted violently with water, powering several large blasts and hundreds of much smaller explosions.

The Hunga Tonga–Hunga Haʻapai volcano erupted on 15 January 2022, producing the largest atmospheric explosion in recorded history. It sent shock waves around the world and a plume of ash into the upper atmosphere.

I wonder how much, and what specifically, could be done with the knowledge that the caldera had collapsed the day before. I mean, you can't prevent it.
This is a little burp compared to Yellowstone's potential.

Other than an evacuation, nothing to be done. This is just another example of how humans are powerless to truly affect the complex Earth systems, from climate through geological processes.
The worlds gonna do what it does & we can't really affect that one way or the other

Cool

Forum List

Back