"Brownie....You're Doin' A Helluva Job"

You know the storm is out there. You know it's morphed into a category 5. You know that there is no way on God's green earth that anyone can accurately predict what a hurricane will do. But you still think you're blameless because Katrina changed directions two days before it hit? Aren't you the sharp one!
Spits the forum imbecile who's preparing for tropical disturbance Erika as though it's a hurricane.

You really don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

So the hundreds of OTHER people who were also at the store stocking up in case "tropical disturbance" Erika turned into hurricane Erika are imbeciles too? Gee, could it possibly be that we are the intelligent people and idiots like you and those that didn't prepare in New Orleans are REALLY the imbeciles?

Nobody "didn't prepare", shithead.

If they prepared then why were they out of food and water within days and screaming that they needed to be "rescued"?

After Charlie we didn't have power for 11 days. You couldn't get gas anywhere. Stores were cleaned out of things like water. Yet I was fine because I followed some common sense instructions and stocked up food, water and batteries...something that WAY too many people didn't do in New Orleans.

"They" WHO???
As already stated, I got out of Dodge with my dependents, carrying supplies we'd need for the interim, and when that interim proved far longer than expected, we adapted. My neighbors back in town who stayed were still there five weeks later and they too were getting along fine. Both they and I knew what was expected and were prepared for it. There was no "screaming".

Now who the fuck are you, sitting on your ass in East Jipip Nebraska with obviously no clue in the world how hurricanes work, to invent "screaming"?

What in the fuck is WRONG with you?

I live on the Gulf Coast of Florida, you buffoon! I've ridden out hurricanes and I understand far more about them then you've demonstrated here.

So just for shits and giggles...let's examine what would have happened if Ray Nagin HAD implemented an earlier mandatory evacuation of low lying areas of New Orleans...and that he HAD used school buses to get people without transportation out of New Orleans.

On the one hand if Katrina doesn't hit New Orleans...what's the downside? A whole bunch of people took a long ride on a bus...got fed...were given a place to sleep and then got back on those same buses and took another long ride home? Gosh, how terrible!

Of course if Katrina DOES directly hit New Orleans...and hits at a category 5 level instead of a 3 you could have had far greater loss of life than what actually occurred but because you've been cautious and got people out of the city...there is massive damage but very little loss of life.

I'm going with option B every time...but that's just me...

Because you "knew" a week in advance --- about a storm that didn't even exist yet.

Fuckin' clueless yahoo.

If I'm the Mayor of New Orleans, call me crazy but I'm going to play it safe and enforce a mandatory evacuation for those areas that are well below sea level and I'm also going to strongly suggest that anyone who can leave from the rest of the city do so as well so if the city does flood and emergency personnel can't get there from where they've been staged it won't become something critical.

But hey...that's just me...

What a coincidence. That's also what the city did.

What the fuck's your point?

"New Orleans was already one of the poorest metropolitan areas in the United States in 2005, with the eighth-lowest median income ($30,771). At 24.5 percent, Orleans Parish had the sixth-highest poverty rate among U.S. counties or county equivalents.[5] The 2000 U.S. census revealed that 27% of New Orleans households, amounting to approximately 120,000 people, were without private mobility. Despite these factors preventing many people from being able to evacuate on their own, the mandatory evacuation called on August 28 made no provisions to evacuate homeless, low-income, or sick individuals, nor the city's elderly or infirm residents. Consequently most of those stranded in the city were the poor, the elderly, and the sick.

It has been stated in the evacuation order that, beginning at noon on August 28 and running for several hours, all city buses were redeployed to shuttle local residents to, "refuges of last resort," designated in advance, including the Louisiana Superdome.[6] They also said that the state had prepositioned enough food and water to supply 15,000 citizens with supplies for three days, the anticipated waiting period before FEMA would arrive in force and provide supplies for those still in the city.[6] Later, it was found that FEMA had provided these supplies, but that FEMA Director Michael D. Brown was greatly surprised by the much larger numbers of people who turned up seeking refuge and that the first wave of supplies were quickly depleted.[6] The large number of deaths were a result of the insufficient response and evacuation before Katrina's arrival, primarily due to city and state resistance to issuing an evacuation order and risking "crying wolf" and losing face should the hurricane have left the path of model prediction. Had contra-flow on highways been initiated sooner and more buses begun evacuating families (including the idle school buses that were not used at all) the numbers of stranded New Orleans occupants would have been significantly less making the initial wave of FEMA supplies adequate and even excessive." Wikipedia

That's what New Orleans "did"! Which is my point! Do you realize that if FEMA hadn't provided the food and water at the Superdome that those people would have had nothing? So why is Michael Brown the bad guy and Ray Nagin not? Nagin didn't follow his own evacuation plan to get people out of the city who didn't have cars because he said he was worried about a lack of insurance for the school buses and drivers to drive them. Well, gee whiz...Ray! Don't you think that's a problem you should have worked out sometime BEFORE a major storm was about to hit the city! I guess when you're so busy extorting bribes it's hard to take care of trivial things like emergency preparedness...right?

Last edited:
Bored-people-007.jpg

So just for shits and giggles...let's examine what would have happened if Ray Nagin HAD implemented an earlier mandatory evacuation of low lying areas of New Orleans...and that he HAD used school buses to get people without transportation out of New Orleans.

On the one hand if Katrina doesn't hit New Orleans...what's the downside? A whole bunch of people took a long ride on a bus...got fed...were given a place to sleep and then got back on those same buses and took another long ride home? Gosh, how terrible!

Of course if Katrina DOES directly hit New Orleans...and hits at a category 5 level instead of a 3 you could have had far greater loss of life than what actually occurred but because you've been cautious and got people out of the city...there is massive damage but very little loss of life.

I'm going with option B every time...but that's just me...

Because you "knew" a week in advance --- about a storm that didn't even exist yet.

Fuckin' clueless yahoo.

You want a "clue"? Try this on for size...

You don't start making preparations for emergencies while they are happening. You prepare for them in advance. If you're the Mayor of a city that's smack dab in the middle of hurricane alley then you make plans for how you're going to respond to a big storm coming your way long before it gets there. You let your people know that if the storm does come ashore at a level 5 that they need to be long gone before it gets there! You let them know that if they don't have a car that the city will use it's school buses to evacuate them. You let them know that if they do choose to go to the Superdome as a last resort that they need to bring enough water, food and medical supplies to last them approximately five days. That's what a RESPONSIBLE Mayor would have been doing. Ray Nagin did none of that.

Remember Katrina and George W. Bush's totally unbelievable mishandling of the massive destruction and death in Louisiana, and Mississippi? I Do!

It wasn't as bad and irresponsible as Iraq but it was in the game.
You talking about when Nagin went to prison for corruption over the way he handled the money?
No, he's talking about how Bush and the republicans criminally mishandled the response to a national emergency and 1500 people died.

can you be more specific?

Remember Katrina and George W. Bush's totally unbelievable mishandling of the massive destruction and death in Louisiana, and Mississippi? I Do!

hey Op- you ever heard of lib Mayor of NO Ray Nagin? Or the lib Governor of that state?
Kathleen Blanco?

Criticism of government response to Hurricane Katrina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:lol: Ray Nagin's never been a "lib". Why do you think he hesitated making the voluntary evacuation mandatory? Too concerned about "big gummint" maybe? He's a lifelong Republican who ran as a Democrat to get elected.

The Army Corp of Engineers built the levees. They also built the MRGO Canal, where the storm surge destroyed the levees. BTW, hardly anyone ever used that canal. It was sealed off after Katrina. The levees were supposed to withstand a cat 3 storm. They did not. Now, the ACE has rebuilt them, in accordance with the budget that they were given by the government, and they STILL are only capable of withstanding a cat 3 storm. So, let's start the blame game for the next storm. Is New Orleans to blame for the next flood with a cat 4 storm comes, given the fact that the metropolitan area does not have the resources to upgrade the levee to a cat 5 storm? The Netherlands built the Zuider Zee, which can withstand virtually anything. It was not built by the port, but by the national government. As to the argument that New Orleans should not be where it is anyway, I respond in advance that it is pretty much as far up the river that an ocean going vessel can go, in order to trade with commerce coming down the river on barges.

Blaming Governor Blanco: Accountability Resolved
Louisiana Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco "declared a state of emergency Aug. 26 three days before the storm and followed the steps in her disaster playbook. On Aug. 31, she asked Bush for 'everything you've got.' But some commentators and officials have blamed her for problems such as flawed communication and blocked aid," USA Today's Jill Lawrence reported September 12, 2005.

"Blanco has had several skirmishes with Bush and sent signals that she did not trust his administration. She brought in James Lee Witt, former president Bill Clinton's emergency management director, to advise her. She rejected Bush's proposal that the federal government take control of National Guard troops under her command. ('If that would have improved our situation, it would have been a no-brainer, she says)," Lawrence wrote. "She says that two days after Katrina, desperate for help, she couldn't get through to Bush and didn't get a callback; hours later, she tried again, and they talked."

However, Mississippi's governor Haley Barbour "hasn't had to wait hours to talk to Bush," Lawrence wrote. "In fact, Barbour said in an interview with USA TODAY, the president called him three to four times in the wake of Katrina. 'I never called him. He always called me,' he said."
Hurricane Katrina: Who's at Fault? - SourceWatch

You're fucking deranged.

No one's going to allow you to change your argument now that you realize you've failed.

You said, "it's obvious that New Orleans did an AWFUL job at preparing for a natural disaster that they knew for the better part of a week was coming!"

To which I responded, "So demented, you even think it was known a week in advance Katrina was going to hit New Orleans. :cuckoo: In reality, from which you are clearly divorced, they had less than 48 hours notice."

We're not talking about the years prior when they could have taken better precautions for any random storm -- we're talking about Katrina.

They did not know "for the better part of a week" the storm was coming.

4 days before Katrina hit, the storm was projected to hit the Florida Panhandle.

3 days before Katrina hit, the storm was projected to hit Alabama. At that time, the governor of Louisiana declared a state of emergency for her state and the mayor of New Orleans told his city to evacuate. You know, what you call doing nothing.

2 days before Katrina hit, the storm was projected to hit New Orleans. At that time, the governor of Louisiana requested federal assistance and the mayor of NO made evacuation mandatory. You know, again, what you call doing nothing.

The storm hit.

A week later, FEMA finally showed up.

Brown was rightfully fired.

And what conclusions should you draw from the constantly changing projections on where storms are projected to make landfall? That they don't know for sure? That they could very well change course...and do so multiple times?

So what would the correct response be if you were the Mayor of a city that has large portions that lie BELOW sea level and a category 5 hurricane is out in the Gulf? Hope it goes somewhere else?
No one fucking evacuates New Orleans for a hurricane projected to hit the Florida Panhandle. You truly are insane.

Who doesn't prepare to evacuate a city that lies mostly below sea level with levees built to withstand a category 3 storm when there is a category FIVE storm that's going to hit somewhere in the Gulf?

Who forgets to follow the evacuation plans that have been drawn up in case of a storm that big? Ray Nagin for some reason never implemented plans to use school buses to get people out of the city who didn't have cars even though that was in the city's hurricane evacuation plan. Why is that?
You're too fucking brain-dead. :cuckoo:

It's not about "preparing to evacuate." Cities have evacuation plans. It's about actually making the call to evacuate. Cities don't evacuate unless there's an actual threat. You really are as stupid as you sound. Evacuation is the last step taken to prevent loss of life. It's not done willy-nilly just because a hurricane is projected to hit three states away.

Even worse for your idiotic position is that calling for the evacuation was not the problem. Getting residents to evacuate was. No city can force residents to evacuate against their will. Folks in New Orleans who were willing to leave all got out in time. It was the residents who refused to evacuate who foolishly stayed in their homes despite a mandatory evacuation. For many who wanted to evacuate but didn't have the means, the city picked up at designated locations throughout the city and brought them to shelter in the Superdome. The buses you speak of were not used because the city lacked time to coordinate bussing people out of the city. Again, despite your mountain of ignorance, the city had less than 2 days to facilitate a complete evacuation.

So what you're saying is that despite the fact that part of New Orlean's evacuation strategy included using city owned buses to get those people without cars out of the city...that Ray Nagin somehow forgot to implement that strategy during the two days prior to Katrina making landfall even though the "leaders" (and I use that term oh so loosely!) on New Orleans knew about a category 5 hurricane sitting right out there in the Gulf? That hundreds of bright yellow school buses sat in parking lots while Nagin sat on his thumbs?

See here's the thing, Faun..."plans" are only good if you've got leaders who remember to use them when the shit hits the fan!
Nope, that's not what I'm saying. Ya think i'm surprised to see you're not capable of comprehending?

hey Op- you ever heard of lib Mayor of NO Ray Nagin? Or the lib Governor of that state?
Kathleen Blanco?

Criticism of government response to Hurricane Katrina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:lol: Ray Nagin's never been a "lib". Why do you think he hesitated making the voluntary evacuation mandatory? Too concerned about "big gummint" maybe? He's a lifelong Republican who ran as a Democrat to get elected.

Ray Nagin is a lifelong Democrat. He forced several news organizations who erroneously made the claim that he was a Republican to make retractions.

Kathleen Blanco?

Ray Nagin is a life long Democrat! Let me guess...you bought into the attempts to MAKE him something other than a liberal in the wake of his piss poor performance during Katrina and his subsequent convictions for bribery? You really aren't very bright are you, Pogo?

And what conclusions should you draw from the constantly changing projections on where storms are projected to make landfall? That they don't know for sure? That they could very well change course...and do so multiple times?

So what would the correct response be if you were the Mayor of a city that has large portions that lie BELOW sea level and a category 5 hurricane is out in the Gulf? Hope it goes somewhere else?
No one fucking evacuates New Orleans for a hurricane projected to hit the Florida Panhandle. You truly are insane.

Who doesn't prepare to evacuate a city that lies mostly below sea level with levees built to withstand a category 3 storm when there is a category FIVE storm that's going to hit somewhere in the Gulf?

Who forgets to follow the evacuation plans that have been drawn up in case of a storm that big? Ray Nagin for some reason never implemented plans to use school buses to get people out of the city who didn't have cars even though that was in the city's hurricane evacuation plan. Why is that?

It's not about "preparing to evacuate." Cities have evacuation plans. It's about actually making the call to evacuate. Cities don't evacuate unless there's an actual threat. You really are as stupid as you sound. Evacuation is the last step taken to prevent loss of life. It's not done willy-nilly just because a hurricane is projected to hit three states away.

Even worse for your idiotic position is that calling for the evacuation was not the problem. Getting residents to evacuate was. No city can force residents to evacuate against their will. Folks in New Orleans who were willing to leave all got out in time. It was the residents who refused to evacuate who foolishly stayed in their homes despite a mandatory evacuation. For many who wanted to evacuate but didn't have the means, the city picked up at designated locations throughout the city and brought them to shelter in the Superdome. The buses you speak of were not used because the city lacked time to coordinate bussing people out of the city. Again, despite your mountain of ignorance, the city had less than 2 days to facilitate a complete evacuation.

So what you're saying is that despite the fact that part of New Orlean's evacuation strategy included using city owned buses to get those people without cars out of the city...that Ray Nagin somehow forgot to implement that strategy during the two days prior to Katrina making landfall even though the "leaders" (and I use that term oh so loosely!) on New Orleans knew about a category 5 hurricane sitting right out there in the Gulf? That hundreds of bright yellow school buses sat in parking lots while Nagin sat on his thumbs?

See here's the thing, Faun..."plans" are only good if you've got leaders who remember to use them when the shit hits the fan!
Nope, that's not what I'm saying. Ya think i'm surprised to see you're not capable of comprehending?

What are you saying? Your claim that everyone who wanted to get out of the city did before the storm hit is completely untrue. I think something like 10% of people living in New Orleans don't have cars. Those people were supposed to be evacuated using city school buses in an emergency...but Ray Nagin never pulled the trigger on that so those people were stuck in the city when Katrina came ashore...either trying to ride it out in their homes or seeking "shelter" at the Superdome which Nagin hadn't adequately supplied at all.

Kathleen Blanco?

Ray Nagin is a lifelong Democrat. He forced several news organizations who erroneously made the claim that he was a Republican to make retractions.

Kathleen Blanco?

Ray Nagin is a life long Democrat! Let me guess...you bought into the attempts to MAKE him something other than a liberal in the wake of his piss poor performance during Katrina and his subsequent convictions for bribery? You really aren't very bright are you, Pogo?

I lived there at the time, Stupid. He took a lot of flak for political cross-dressing at the time, and rightly so. He endorsed and campaigned for Bobby Jindal in the gubernatorial race against the Democrat, Kathleen Blanco. Also endorsed and donated to George Bush.

20031107005055.jpg

If Ray Nagin's a "Democrat", I'm the fucking queen of Belgium. He ran as a Democrat, changing his party registration just before running, because no Republican has been elected mayor since the late 1800s. And after Nagin, that's not likely to change any time soon. What he is is a lifelong liar.

Which probably makes him related to you. But it's kinda fascinating how your version of Nagin is a corrupt, deceitful scum of the earth, yet as soon as it becomes convenient his word is suddenly gospel.

Having it both ways: Priceless.

Last edited:

Kathleen Blanco?

Kathleen Blanco?

I lived there at the time, Stupid. He took a lot of flak for political cross-dressing at the time, and rightly so.
He also endorsed Bobby Jindal when BJ was running against Kathleen Blanco. Also endorsed Bush.

If Ray Nagin's a "Democrat", I'm the fucking queen of Belgium. What he is is a lifelong liar.
Which probably makes him related to you.

So do you want us to address you as "Your Majesty" or "Queen Pogo"?

Ray Nagin is a life long Democrat and if you lived in New Orleans and don't know that...then you're not very bright...are you?

And it's not my version that Ray Nagin is scum...that was what the judge that sentenced him pretty much decided.

What are you saying? Your claim that everyone who wanted to get out of the city did before the storm hit is completely untrue. I think something like 10% of people living in New Orleans don't have cars. Those people were supposed to be evacuated using city school buses in an emergency...but Ray Nagin never pulled the trigger on that so those people were stuck in the city when Katrina came ashore...either trying to ride it out in their homes or seeking "shelter" at the Superdome which Nagin hadn't adequately supplied at all.
You fucking retard, I never said, "everyone who wanted to get out of the city, did." What the fuck is wrong with you? Do you even understand English?

Where do I begin....That's so wrong that it's difficult to find a grain of truth in it. Try this and apply to Aug 28 before the storm hit:

Nagin orders first-ever mandatory evacuation of New Orleans

"New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin called for a first-ever mandatory evacuation of the city this morning, saying that Hurricane Katrina's devastating power may well create the sort of cataclysmic damage that residents have long worried that a killer storm could cause in a city that lies mostly below sea level.

"I wish I had better news, but we're facing the storm most of us have feared, " said Nagin, flanked by city and state officials, including Gov. Kathleen Blanco. "This is very serious. This is going to be an unprecedented event. "

Nagin said Katrina's "awesome" winds are likely to create storm surges that overwhelm the city's system of levees, causing water to pour into lower-lying areas. Blanco said the water could get as high as 20 feet in places.

The city has 30 boats at its disposal, the mayor said.

The governor also said that President Bush had telephoned shortly before the 9:30 a.m. press conference began. She said Bush said he was "very concerned about the storm's impact" and urged Blanco and Nagin to order the evacuation.

"We need to get as many people out as possible, " she said.

Around 112,000 Orleanians do not own cars, according to census data. Nagin urged those people to seek rides with friends, family, neighbors and church members. Those who could not find rides were urged to get to the Superdome (Katrina photos: Superdome
photo.gif
) as quickly as possible"

Forum List

Back