Hinterland
George Gently
Jack Taylor
Call The Midwife
Foyles War
I did enjoy Downton Abbey
Call The Midwife
Foyle's War

along with Lark Rise To Candleford, Gosford Park, and several other British productions. I enjoyed they all very much and have acquired a preference for the overall British style.

Regrettably, I've never seen those others you've listed above and I don't know where they are available. I do get HBO, Cinemax, Starz, Movies and several other major tv entities. Am I not looking in the right place(s)? If you can recommend some specific sources, please do.

Last edited:
I tried it but I didn't get into it. It seemed too American lOL.
What I like about The Murdoch Mysteries is how unlike American police drama they are. I believe their appeal resides in the way they manage to reflect a Canadian vs American atmosphere which occurs as a comparative innocence and simplicity.

I'm kinda upset they killed off almost everyone in Torchwood.

But, since Capt Jack won't die for a few thousand years, It may make a comeback

I heard that there is MORE "upstairs----/ downstairs" ?
Unfortunately I didn't watch the original Upstairs/Downstairs (because I was very busy during its time frame) but I did watch (and record) a brief, condensed version of the series. Based on all I've read and heard the new version is nowhere near as substantive as the original, but it does manage to capture a certain ethos and affords a few interesting, enjoyable hours.

There's a lot of British drama hiding out on youtube.

Jewel in the Crown is rerunning on pbs Sunday nights.

Life on Mars and the sequel Ashes to Ashes are really good. Life is on youtube but it's a really bad recording.
I am very partial to productions that divert my consciousness to another time and place without resorting to fantasy, which Jewel In The Crown does very effectively. I enjoyed watching that series.

Last Tango in Halifax
Doc Martin
Downton Abby (all done, alas)
That baking competition is good, too
Alas, is right!

Watching the final episode of Downton Abbey was like attending the last breath of an old friend. While I am not partial to fantasy I became thoroughly engrossed with the little world of Downton Abbey and all of its characters and events.

At some point (when I can afford the luxury) I will buy the DVD set.

I tried it but I didn't get into it. It seemed too American lOL.
What I like about The Murdoch Mysteries is how unlike American police drama they are. I believe their appeal resides in the way they manage to reflect a Canadian vs American atmosphere which occurs as a comparative innocence and simplicity.
America is exceedingly facsist. When ever Western countries get like that,people protest. But America is not a Western country.

Last Tango in Halifax
Doc Martin
Downton Abby (all done, alas)
That baking competition is good, too
Alas, is right!

Watching the final episode of Downton Abbey was like attending the last breath of an old friend. While I am not partial to fantasy I became thoroughly engrossed with the little world of Downton Abbey and all of its characters and events.

At some point (when I can afford the luxury) I will buy the DVD set.
I felt like that about Breaking Bad.

The old George Smiley (Alec Guinness) spy mini-series are great, 'Smiley's People' and 'Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy'.

...if you like that sort of thing. Low keyed, cerebral, not a lot of shoot em up or car chases lol.
I found Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy to be the most brilliant and engrossing spy drama I've ever watched. It took watching it about five times for me to finally tire of the ethos it brilliantly produces. I'm sure I will watch it again.

Downton Abbey
Luther
Hinterland
George Gently
Jack Taylor
Call The Midwife
Foyles War

I haven't been hooked on any show since Monty Python. That I waited for religiously.

There's a lot of British drama hiding out on youtube.

Jewel in the Crown is rerunning on pbs Sunday nights.

Life on Mars and the sequel Ashes to Ashes are really good. Life is on youtube but it's a really bad recording.
I am very partial to productions that divert my consciousness to another time and place without resorting to fantasy, which Jewel In The Crown does very effectively. I enjoyed watching that series.

You might like 'Lost Empires' then, an 1986 mini series set in 1913.

This thread is jogging my memory and making me wish I had the ambition to go back and watch alot of the old masterpiece theatre treasures.

Breaking Bad was truly excellent until the final few episodes when it drifted in incremental steps from the realm of the extreme but possible into utterly absurd fantasy. It appears this is not uncommon with some really long series. It seems the writers burn out and paint themselves into a corner when time constraints press them to conceive ending scenarios. They obviously depart from well-thought-out plots and just pluck nonsensical situations out of the air in fairy tale style.

America is exceedingly facsist. When ever Western countries get like that,people protest. But America is not a Western country.
I will call that an interesting perception and would like to discuss it with you. I neither agree nor entirely disagree but would be interested in how you arrived at that conclusion.

Breaking Bad was truly excellent until the final few episodes when it drifted in incremental steps from the realm of the extreme but possible into utterly absurd fantasy. It appears this is not uncommon with some really long series. It seems the writers burn out and paint themselves into a corner when time constraints press them to conceive ending scenarios. They obviously depart from well-thought-out plots and just pluck nonsensical situations out of the air in fairy tale style.
That happened to me when I tried to write a sequel to The Apecity.

The Prisoner - original
I visited "the village" two years ago in Wales
Still intact and open to visitors
Walked that beach
Sat in his apartment
Stood on the green where they had human chess
God what a place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum List

Back