British Shows you're hooked on.....

The original Poldark. Brideshead Revisited.
I tried to watch Poldark but found it kind of boring. Too many protracted close-ups of the principal character's profile. Very cliched, predictable story line and drawn-out sequences. I gave up on it.

The old George Smiley (Alec Guinness) spy mini-series are great, 'Smiley's People' and 'Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy'.

...if you like that sort of thing. Low keyed, cerebral, not a lot of shoot em up or car chases lol.
I really like that sort of thing.

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is excellent! Perfect everything; cast, script, directing -- everything!

The old George Smiley (Alec Guinness) spy mini-series are great, 'Smiley's People' and 'Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy'.

...if you like that sort of thing. Low keyed, cerebral, not a lot of shoot em up or car chases lol.

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is excellent! Perfect everything; cast, script, directing -- everything!

It was remade as a movie in 2011, with Gary Oldham as George Smiley, and an amazing cast, and I have to say,
it's very good too.

[...]

There is BBC America (not that good, but worth it for The Graham Norton Show) PBS also. But I was surprised to see Lark Rise to Candleford and The Midsomer Murders on a mainstream channel.

[...]
I liked Lark Rise to Candleford so much I bought the DVD set. As with Downton Abbey, sad to have it end.

"The Murdoch Mysteries" I've seen some of these, they're not on BBC but on one of the satellite channels that I can't remember name of, but yes, very atmospheric stuff.
I like the Murdoch Mysteries, too, and I watch them whenever one comes around, which is not very often. And your description of them as "atmospheric stuff" is perfect. Says it just right.

Compliments.

I, Claudius. Danger UXB. Dr. Who with the scarf (Tom Baker), Doc Martin. Top gear, Antiques road show with Fiona Bruce.

I like Doc Martin too.
I like Doc Martin for the setting, the little tucked-away place, Portwenn, without which the series would be a crushing bore. In fact the series should be called Portwenn. Doc Martin would be just another peculiar character, no more interesting or entertaining than the goofy cop.

It was remade as a movie in 2011, with Gary Oldham as George Smiley, and an amazing cast, and I have to say,
it's very good too.
That's the one I mean. So far I've watched it four times.

>

If you have Netflix, some might like Midsomer Murders. I put it on in the background when working in the computer room.

Not a lot of violence, no nudity, strictly PG-13.

Police murder of the week format.

>>>>

I, Claudius. Danger UXB. Dr. Who with the scarf (Tom Baker), Doc Martin. Top gear, Antiques road show with Fiona Bruce.

I like Doc Martin too.
I like Doc Martin for the setting, the little tucked-away place, Portwenn, without which the series would be a crushing bore. In fact the series should be called Portwenn. Doc Martin would be just another peculiar character, no more interesting or entertaining than the goofy cop.

Yes it is boring really, but it's his dry and unintentional humor I like, and the setting.

>

If you have Netflix, some might like Midsomer Murders. I put it on in the background when working in the computer room.

Not a lot of violence, no nudity, strictly PG-13.

Police murder of the week format.

>>>>
i have been watching the Murdock Mysteries on netflix....detective stuff around 1900 in Toronto....i like it....

This popped into my head the other day,

if you like British shows, and you like politics, and you like vintage stuff, I guess you'd call it that,

you might want to check out the nineties mini-series Our Friends in the North

Not the least of which to see some current British stars in their very early career work, like these guys...

Our-Friends-in-the-North--001.jpg

Forum List

Back