BREAKING: Mitt Romney Urged Obama to Embrace the Individual Mandate

Mr. Etch-a-Sketch was right. A mandate was needed to avoid the people for paying for healthcare for freeloaders.

And are you willing to stand behind this logic for any and every contingency that might result in a public expense; the burial insurance mandate, for example? Should we be insured against any potential expense that we might incur that the state might feel compelled to pay on our behalf? Or, to ask the question that the Court is surely wrestling with, is there ANY limiting principle on this notion? It seems to me to open a broad new category of so-called "responsibility" that would require us to "pre-pay" for a wide variety of potential outcomes. Is that really how we want society to work?

So Obama and Romney are the same, huh?? So why not vote for the guy with some business experience rather than a community organizer?? Shouldn't matter, right??

Well except debt is out of control. I think we need to bring our debt down to a manageable level.

So Obama and Romney are the same, huh?? So why not vote for the guy with some business experience rather than a community organizer?? Shouldn't matter, right??

Hmmmm... we we're agreeing the both suck. How's about 'neither'?

... encourages "free riders" to take responsibility for themselves rather than pass their medical costs on to others.

The reason for the health insurance mandate is obvious - it should be embraced or at least understood by everyone and not used as a football by Republicans.

Why on earth would anyone embrace higher costs and government interference in our lives?

"Massachusetts residents who participate in the state's healthcare program are seeing their insurance premiums going down by 5 percent, officials say."

judgment_day_terror.jpg
woman_screaming.gif

493.gif
493.gif
493.gif
493.gif
493.gif
493.gif

825.gif

Mitt Romney Urged Obama to Embrace the Individual Mandate

Other than this being a total lie, you nailed it!
Try this.....

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
346.gif

"It kind of takes health care off the table, doesn't it?" lamented one GOP strategist. "I'm just hoping that conservative anger over a litany of Obama mishaps will be enough to fuel Romney's bid. I guess Republicans don't have any other choice."

493.gif
493.gif
493.gif
493.gif

532.gif

"A Canadian Doctor Describes How Socialized Medicine Doesn't Work
July 26, 2007

By David Gratzer

I was once a believer in socialized medicine. As a Canadian, I had soaked up the belief that government–run health care was truly compassionate. What I knew about American health care was unappealing: high expenses and lots of uninsured people.

My health care prejudices crumbled on the way to a medical school class. On a subzero Winnipeg morning in 1997, I cut across the hospital emergency room to shave a few minutes off my frigid commute.

Swinging open the door, I stepped into a nightmare: the ER overflowed with elderly people on stretchers, waiting for admission. Some, it turned out, had waited five days. The air stank with sweat and urine. Right then, I began to reconsider everything that I thought I knew about Canadian health care.

I soon discovered that the problems went well beyond overcrowded ERs. Patients had to wait for practically any diagnostic test or procedure, such as the man with persistent pain from a hernia operation whom we referred to a pain clinic—with a three–year wait list; or the woman with breast cancer who needed to wait four months for radiation therapy, when the standard of care was four weeks.

Government researchers now note that more than 1.5 million Ontarians (or 12% of that province's population) can't find family physicians. Health officials in one Nova Scotia community actually resorted to a lottery to determine who'd get a doctor's appointment."

Political Cartoons & Opinion - Michael Ramirez - Editorial News - IBD - Investors.com

BREAKING: Mitt Romney Urged Obama to Embrace the Individual Mandate
Red State ^ | March 2, 2012 | Erick Erickson

BREAKING: Mitt Romney Urged Obama to Embrace the Individual Mandate | RedState
Had Michigan not been as close, the Democrats would have waited to spring this on us in the general election. Luckily we have it now and I hope Ohio voters are paying attention.

In July 2009, Mitt Romney wrote an op-ed in USA Today urging Barack Obama to usean individual mandate at the national level to control healthcare costs.

On the campaign trail now, Mitt Romney says the individual mandate is appropriate for Massachusetts, but not the nation. Repeatedly in debates, Romney has said he opposes a national individual mandate.

But back in 2009, as Barack Obama was formulating his healthcare vision for the country, Mitt Romney encouraged him publicly to use an individual mandate. In his op-ed, Governor Romney suggested that the federal government learn from Massachusetts how to make healthcare available for all.

(Excerpt) Read more at redstate.com ...

The op-ed no longer appears on the USA Today website but is archived on the Mitt Romney fan site "Mitt Romney Central" and is accessible on the former Governor's old website via the web archive.

Health care cannot be handled the same way as the stimulus and cap-and-trade bills. With those, the president stuck to the old style of lawmaking: He threw in every special favor imaginable, ground it up and crammed it through a partisan Democratic Congress. Health care is simply too important to the economy, to employment and to America's families to be larded up and rushed through on an artificial deadline. There's a better way. And the lessons we learned in Massachusetts could help Washington find it.

Romney continues further down in the op-ed bringing up the individual mandate dreaded by conservatives.

Our experience also demonstrates that getting every citizen insured doesn't have to break the bank. First, we established incentives for those who were uninsured to buy insurance. Using tax penalties, as we did, or tax credits, as others have proposed, encourages "free riders" to take responsibility for themselves rather than pass their medical costs on to others. This doesn't cost the government a single dollar. Second, we helped pay for our new program by ending an old one — something government should do more often. The federal government sends an estimated $42 billion to hospitals that care for the poor: Use those funds instead to help the poor buy private insurance, as we did.

Mitt Romney's Advice For ObamaCare: Look At RomneyCare

Is this a suprise to anyone?

Mittens is a double backing flip flopper that has no core and will say anything to get elected.

This is what Republicans want to put into office after bashing Kerry for flipping on one issue.

"Last year, Massachusetts passed a prematurely-celebrated health care initiative entitled "Commonwealth Care" that provided state-subsidized coverage and required all residents to purchase insurance.* State residents who fail to obtain insurance are penalized with additional state taxes.* The law also required employers to either pay for health insurance or cough up a hefty tax penalty for each employee that they cannot cover.*

Anyone who has passed Econ 101 could have predicted what would happen next, but it nevertheless caught government bureaucrats by surprise.*

Across the state, primary care providers are now turning away patients, and waiting times have lengthened because physicians receive below-market payments along with an influx of new patients.* Thus, Massachusetts bureaucrats are learning a lesson that even Communist bloc countries learned decades ago: *when government social planners artificially increase demand and reduce supply via price controls and rationing, shortages and inferior quality quickly follow.*"

State Experiments with Socialized Medicine Already Failing 

Hard to believe Romney would or could urge Obama to do anything but if Soros "breaking" scoop is right why aren't you lefties supporting him?

Romney urging Obama to include an individual mandate in his Universal Healthcare Act is no surprise to anyone who has been paying attention at all.

In fact, the only thing that surprises me at all are the Romney folks who don't know this.

Romney urging Obama to include an individual mandate in his Universal Healthcare Act is no surprise to anyone who has been paying attention at all.

In fact, the only thing that surprises me at all are the Romney folks who don't know this.

It is a shame to think that the reasons for this is that Romney is a supporter of the mandate. It would be so much better if one could believe Romney calculated this move so that he could point out the Democratic Parties failures and use it to coast to victory in 2012. Alas! Romney was for it before he was against it. Or is he even against it now?

Immie

"A Canadian Doctor Describes How Socialized Medicine Doesn't Work
July 26, 2007

By David Gratzer

I was once a believer in socialized medicine. As a Canadian, I had soaked up the belief that government–run health care was truly compassionate. What I knew about American health care was unappealing: high expenses and lots of uninsured people.

My health care prejudices crumbled on the way to a medical school class. On a subzero Winnipeg morning in 1997, I cut across the hospital emergency room to shave a few minutes off my frigid commute.

Swinging open the door, I stepped into a nightmare: the ER overflowed with elderly people on stretchers, waiting for admission. Some, it turned out, had waited five days. The air stank with sweat and urine. Right then, I began to reconsider everything that I thought I knew about Canadian health care."

Bullshit.

handjob.gif

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ1lPPTPSR4]SiCKO - Canadian Waiting Room Scene - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T46wQb9lAbI]Adrian Campbell Makes a Run for the Border in 'SiCKO' - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v91OifAb-4]SiCKO Questions - Asking about Michael Moore's Movie - YouTube[/ame]

827.gif

If a state can mandate you need auto insurance, then they should be able to do the same for you living in their state and demanding free healthcare via the emergency room.

It is UnAmerican to believe using the emergency room for free medical care is ok.:eusa_whistle::cuckoo:

Barack Obama and Mitt Romney are wrong. The Mandate is Un-Constitutional.

Ooooh. UnAmerican?

So the "American" thing to do is let your child die?

Just asking.

No the correct thing to do is to provide for your child's healthcare - not beg other people to take care of it for you.

"Last year, Massachusetts passed a prematurely-celebrated health care initiative entitled "Commonwealth Care" that provided state-subsidized coverage and required all residents to purchase insurance.* State residents who fail to obtain insurance are penalized with additional state taxes.* The law also required employers to either pay for health insurance or cough up a hefty tax penalty for each employee that they cannot cover.*

Anyone who has passed Econ 101 could have predicted what would happen next, but it nevertheless caught government bureaucrats by surprise.*

Across the state, primary care providers are now turning away patients, and waiting times have lengthened because physicians receive below-market payments along with an influx of new patients.* Thus, Massachusetts bureaucrats are learning a lesson that even Communist bloc countries learned decades ago: *when government social planners artificially increase demand and reduce supply via price controls and rationing, shortages and inferior quality quickly follow.*"

State Experiments with Socialized Medicine Already Failing*

Bullshit.

"In June 2011 a Boston Globe review concluded that the healthcare overhaul "has, after five years, worked as well as or better than expected." A study by the fiscally conservative Beacon Hill Institute was of the view that the reform was "responsible for a dramatic increase in health care spending," however.

In March 2012, the National Bureau of Economic research released a working paper claiming "that health care reform in Massachusetts led to better overall self-assessed health... [and] improvements in several determinants of overall health, including physical health, mental health, functional limitations, joint disorders, body mass index, and moderate physical activity."

827.gif

If the democrats say it, it has to be true, right?

Are you saying you don't believe Romney advocated the individual mandate in the federal plan? Are you just too lazy to do a google search? Are you afraid of what you would find?

I did that! After dozens of democrat sites that make the claim that Romney advised obama to an individual mandate I got to Fact Check.

Mitt Romney and the individual mandate: A highly misleading DNC ad - The Washington Post

Looks like a gotcha moment, right? Wrong.

Romney wasn’t really answering the question about mandates on a national level. In fact, a few minutes later, Gibson comes back to the question: “But let me just come to one point. Yes or no? In your national plan, would you mandate people to get insurance?”

Romney’s response:

“I would not mandate at the federal level that every state do what we do, but what I would say at the federal level is we’ll keep giving you these special payments we make if you adopt plans that get everybody insured. I want to get everybody insured. In Governor Schwarzenegger’s state, he’s got a different plan to get people insured. I wouldn’t tell him he has to do it my way, but I’d say each state needs to get busy on the job of getting all our citizens insured. It does not cost more money.”

Romney’s full response, in fact, was consistent with his position throughout his unsuccessful run for the 2008 GOP presidential nomination — that he would not impose a federal mandate. He made this policy clear in a 2007 speech to the Florida Medical Association, which was his most comprehensive and definitive statement on health care during that campaign. That makes it a more important guide to his thinking than a snippet or two from a TV interview or debate.

In the speech, Romney said it made more sense to have a state-by-state approach, because the 50 states have such huge differences in the price for insurance policies and the percentage of people without insurance.

As Romney put it:

“We let states decide how they craft their own program. States are able to craft programs to match their unique needs and of course we let states remain as the laboratories of innovation. And by the way, I like the plan we came up with in Massachusetts. I wouldn’t be surprised if other states say, ‘I like that way, I’m going to copy it’ and I’d be proud if they did. Some states will find they’ve got better answers than what we came up with and if they do, hats off to them. We’ll all copy them but I like with what we came up with but I will let other states make their own choice and let them decide whether our plan is right for them or whether they’ve got better ideas.”

I'm not afraid of what I found. Are you? Now that you know the democrats lied once again, that is.

Forum List

Back