Boris the Johnson I Think Can Get parliament Dissolved

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
I am a Virginian in the USA, and I try to follow British politics the best I can. This prorogation is new to me, but I thought the Queen can call for new elections, isn't this right?

If the Conservatives propose a NoDealBrexit and Labor defeats it by vote, this could be interpreted as a no confidence vote, as I understand it, because the Conservative party campaigned on an Exit from the EU. With this considered a 'no confidence' vote, the Prime Minister could then ask the Queen to make an unusual, if not unique, Dissolution of Parliament.

This would likely have to be expedited through the courts, but I think the courts would agree that the current arrangement of Parliament is, though not technically a hung Parliament, but it is not functional, and therefore does not merit the confidence of the members of Parliament, the Queen, nor the British people.

Could this not be done by BoJo? Win the NoDealBrexit, or lose it and get a new election he can dominate if he cooperates with the Brexit Party.

Win-win for BoJo.

Forum List

Back