Zone1 Black family receives LA County reparations for stolen property 98 years later

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
Finally! Several California judges ruled to right what they called a government wrong used to steal land away from this couple based on racial discrimination and animosity. The details are in the article below.

I may eventually request that this thread be moved to current events, national precedent indeed!

Black family receives LA County reparations for stolen property 98 years later

In what is likely a national precedent, the black descendants of a couple who owned beachfront property seized by the government during the 1920s will receive reparations from Los Angeles County totaling $413,000 a year.​
Bruce’s Beach, an oceanfront park in the wealthy celebrity enclave of Manhattan Beach, was once owned by Charles and Willa Bruce who built a lodge, cafe, and dance hall that attracted black families seeking a lush getaway.​
But as more black families moved into the area, Manhattan Beach authorities decided to redline the area through eminent domain and pass a law prohibiting the construction of any similar businesses in order to drive the Bruces out of town, the California Senate wrote in a bill authorizing the return of the property to the family’s descendants.​
Next week, the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors is expected to sign off on a plan to reimburse great-great-grandson Charles Bruce along with his uncle and father for the property that bears his family name, the Los Angeles Timesreported. No legal remedy existed to return the property until Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) signed legislation in September.​
The property will be transferred to the Bruce family and leased back by the county, which will pay operation and maintenance costs. The county will also have an option to buy the land for $20 million after the first two years.​
The area is one of the priciest on the coast — a 3,000-square-foot home near the property is listed for sale at $13.5 million, according to Zillow.com. The Bruce family paid just $1,225 in 1912 and were evicted in 1924. The legal wrangling to fix the situation has taken years because no precedent exists.​
“The law was used to steal this property 100 years ago, and the law today will give it back,” Los Angeles County Supervisor Holly Mitchell said at a press conference when Newsom signed the bill. “My goal over the next several months will be to transfer this property in a way that not only works for the Bruce family — but is a model that other local governments can follow.”​
The process was not without difficulty, however. A lawsuit stalled the endeavor, but a judge ruled in the county’s favor.​
“The court finds where the appropriation of public funds and/or property is to address and/or remedy racial discrimination committed by the government, it serves a public purpose,” Superior Court Judge Mitchell Beckloff wrote in his April 14 ruling.​
“Righting a government wrong perpetrated in breach of our core and fundamental constitutional principles works to strengthen governmental integrity, represents accountability in government and works to eliminate structural racism and bias,” he continued.​
Likewise, a federal judge condemned the county’s lengthy history of property seizure based on race. In a 109-page order issued last year aimed at re-homing all of the Skid Row population, U.S. District Judge David Carter blasted the redlining process that created Los Angeles’s freeway system and set up the future Skid Row.​
“As its Black population increased by tens of thousands, Los Angeles utilized racially restrictive covenants, redlining, and eminent domain to racially segregate neighborhoods,” Carter wrote.​
“An uptick in Ku Klux Klan violence further targeted Black families who resided in majority white neighborhoods — including widespread cross burnings, bombings, and drive-by shootings," he continued. "In Manhattan Beach, Los Angeles County employed eminent domain to take property from Black families and turn the land into a whites-only park.”​

Finally! Several California judges ruled to right what they called a government wrong used to steal land away from this couple based on racial discrimination and animosity. The details are in the article below.

I may eventually request that this thread be moved to current events, national precedent indeed!

That’s different. If the same was done to a Jewish family, and it was specifically to drive the Jews out of town, I’d say the grandchildren deserve reparations as well.

That is VERY different from demanding that all blacks get reparations because ancestors they never knew were slaves. Otherwise Jews in Germany who were descended from Holocaust victims, but not direct victims themselves, would be getting it, and they don’t.

P.S. I compare blacks to Jews a lot because there was such a history of persecution in both groups.

That’s different. If the same was done to a Jewish family, and it was specifically to drive the Jews out of town, I’d say the grandchildren deserve reparations as well.

That is VERY different from demanding that all blacks get reparations because ancestors they never knew were slaves. Otherwise Jews in Germany who were descended from Holocaust victims, but not direct victims themselves, would be getting it, and they don’t.

P.S. I compare blacks to Jews a lot because there was such a history of persecution in both groups.
The challenge is/was that not all instances of harm are as well documented as this one with a clear bright line between the perpetrators of the harm and the victim(s). But this scenario has played out in countless instances across this nation, over and over again, with the torching and total destruction of "Black Wall Street" as a result of the Tulsa Race Riots being an example that readily comes to mind.

In any case, thank you not just for being able to clearly see the injustice in this situation, but being willing to voice it.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
The challenge is/was that not all instances of harm are as well documented as this one with a clear bright line between the perpetrators of the harm and the victim(s). But this scenario has played out in countless instances across this nation, over and over again, with the torching and total destruction of "Black Wall Street" as a result of the Tulsa Race Riots being an example that readily comes to mind.

In any case, thank you not just for being able to clearly see the injustice in this situation, but being willing to voice it.
You’re welcome.

And I have no reluctance to voice support for reparations in obvious specific examples such as the one you reported.

For instance, were you aware that Grant issued an edict that all Jews had 24 hours to leave their houses in three southern states - TN, MS, and KY - but Lincoln stepped in and blocked it? (The irony was this was in the eve of The Emancipation Proclamation, so that in one instance Grant recognized the wrong in treating one race or ethnicity as inferior, and in the other perpetrated it against Jews.) IF this had been allowed to proceed, and Christians moved into the abandoned Jewish houses, and eventually their descendants tore down the old houses and sold the land to developers, then I’d say the Jewish descendants would be entitled to reparations for that.)

Anyway, I’m in support of compensating descendants for land taken from their ancestors specifically to drive them out, and for racial or religious reasons.

You’re welcome.

And I have no reluctance to voice support for reparations in obvious specific examples such as the one you reported.

For instance, were you aware that Grant issued an edict that all Jews had 24 hours to leave their houses in three southern states - TN, MS, and KY - but Lincoln stepped in and blocked it? (The irony was this was in the eve of The Emancipation Proclamation, so that in one instance Grant recognized the wrong in treating one race or ethnicity as inferior, and in the other perpetrated it against Jews.) IF this had been allowed to proceed, and Christians moved into the abandoned Jewish houses, and eventually their descendants tore down the old houses and sold the land to developers, then I’d say the Jewish descendants would be entitled to reparations for that.)

Anyway, I’m in support of compensating descendants for land taken from their ancestors specifically to drive them out, and for racial or religious reasons.

How do you propose that the country (and more specifically South Carolina) make up for this?

How do you propose that the country (and more specifically South Carolina) make up for this?

Why do you only care about blacks? What should we do about the Jewish owner of the pencil factory who was lynched for the murder of a girl - a murder he didn’t commit?

That‘s one of the biggest problems I have with leftists. They only care about bigotry against blacks, and either ignore it - or make excuses for it - when it’s against other minorities.

Just answer my question.

It doesn't work that way. I asked you a question, you answer it and if you wish to post a follow up question I will answer it. Otherwise it's clear your first answer is complete B.S.

• Thanks
When are White People ever going to get reparations for all the damage done by the tremendous Black crime?

Are we ever going to get paid back for all that welfare we gave the little shits for all these years?
Whether it was colonial government or the current republic we have now, the government has provided whites with more than it has ever given to anyone else. This was not because people of color did not take the opportunity because most of these things EXCLUDED non white participation. The handouts/privilege started with this:

In 1618, the Virginia colony passed "the Great Charter of privileges, orders, and laws." Among these laws was a provision that any person who settled in Virginia or paid for the transportation of another person to settle in Virginia would get fifty acres of land per person. “The right to receive fifty acres per person, or per head, was called a headright.” It got even better for colonists as those who “imported” slaves also got fifty acres per slave. The practice was continued by the government of Virginia, for 161 years, ending in 1779. Headrights were not only limited to Virginia. The headright system was used in all the original thirteen colonies. Headrights were the first of many government handouts of free stuff or guarantees providing whites with economic development assistance.

It continued with this:

The Three-Fifths Compromise is found in Article 1, Section 2, Clause 3 of the United States Constitution. It says: “Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three-fifths of all other Persons.”

And with this:

The Naturalization Act of 1790 states: “any alien, being a free white person,” could apply for citizenship, so long as they lived in the United States for at least two years and in the state where the application was filed for at least one year. This law allowed “children of citizens of the United States that may be born … out of the limits of the United States shall be considered as natural-born citizens.” Please notice the first seven words. Only whites were entitled to be citizens of this country.

And with this:

One of the greatest miscarriages of justice in this nation’s history was a direct rebuttal to the claim that all men are created equal called Dred Scott v. Sandford. I am not going into all the particulars of this case. The court’s opinion says all you need to know. “A black man has no rights a white man is bound to respect.” The result of Dred Scott v. Sandford was that whites were given rights and status blacks were denied.Or- Affirmative Action.

And with this:

Passed in 1862, the Homestead Acts gave away 246 million acres of land. To qualify for Homestead land, a person had to be a citizen of the United States, and blacks were not given citizenship until 1866.

And this:

On April 16, 1895, the United States Supreme Court rendered another one of the sorriest decisions in American history. It is known as Plessy vs. Ferguson. From this decision came the principle of separate but equal.

And this:

The National Housing Act was passed by Congress and signed by President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1934.29 This law created the Federal Housing Administration or the FHA. The National Housing Act is the policy that may have had the most impact on wealth accumulation in modern America.

Between 1934 and 1968, the FHA implemented and put into practice a policy that still negatively impacts communities today.30 The FHA Underwriting Manual set the guidelines real estate agents used to assess home values in American neighborhoods. This manual promoted racist real estate practices. It was done by defending racially restrictive covenants and segregated communities. Due to this manual, the FHA established a neighborhood grading system based purely on false racist perceptions.

Redlining was the name of that grading system. My point here is the FHA was a government agency whose policies specifically provided whites with opportunities to increase wealth through homeownership. The formation of the FHA and its guaranteed loan program only worked to increase white advantage.
“Of the $120 billion worth of new housing subsidized by the government between 1934 and 1962, less than 2 percent went to nonwhite families.”

And this:

The Social Security Act of 1935 created the Social Security program, state unemployment insurance, and assistance to single women with children.Today, most Americans love the program. However, when the act was signed, the law excluded occupations mainly done by blacks. When President Roosevelt signed the law, approximately two-thirds of the blacks in America were ineligible. For years, most blacks were excluded from social security savings and could not get unemployment.

And this:

Title 4 or IV of the social security act of 1935 provided grants to states as Aid To Dependent Children. Eventually the name of the program was changed to Aid to Families with Dependent Children. This was welfare, folks. Assistance for single moms with children and no daddy at home. In 1935. Blacks were excluded.

And this:

The Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 created the minimum wage and time and a half overtime pay for working over forty hours a week. Child labor was eliminated by this act. All these were good things, but… In every law that was passed as part of The New Deal, Roosevelt had to compromise with southern representatives to get the votes he needed. In the case of the FLSA, due to pressure from southern congress members, he decided that industries would be excluded from the regulations where the majority of workers were black. Because of this, blacks were paid less than the minimum wage.

And this:

On June 22, 1944, President Roosevelt signed the Servicemen’s Readjustment Act, better known as the G.I. Bill.38 This law provided benefits for veterans returning from World War Two. This act included funds for college tuition, low-cost home loans, and unemployment insurance. As in every other program during this time, southern members of Congress fought the passage of these laws unless there were provisions that limited access to blacks.

Over one million returning black soldiers were unable to get GI benefits. My father was one of those soldiers.

You got your reparations. And there is more white crime.

It doesn't work that way. I asked you a question, you answer it and if you wish to post a follow up question I will answer it. Otherwise it's clear your first answer is complete B.S.
The state should make restitution to the boy’s family.

Now answer mine: why do you only pull out examples of wrongdoing when it is against a member of a 14% minority, and ignore all,the wrongdoing against others? Why do black lives matter more to you than others?

The state should make restitution to the boy’s family.

Now answer mine: why do you only pull out examples of wrongdoing when it is against a member of a 14% minority, and ignore all,the wrongdoing against others? Why do black lives matter more to you than others?

If you can find even one example where I did not support the individual regardless of race that was wronged by the government, I will own up to your accusations. You can't so I'm not concerned.

• Thanks
If you can find even one example where I did not support the individual regardless of race that was wronged by the government, I will own up to your accusations. You can't so I'm not concerned.
But you ONLY focus on wrongdoings against blacks. When have you ever spoken up against the Jews and Asians being beaten on the street or the subway, some of whom died? The reason you don’t is because:

1) You are not as concerned, if at all, with crimes against Jews and Asians

2) The unprovoked attacks against Jews and Asians are disproportionately committed against blacks, and the Liberal Religion does not allow any criticism of blacks.

But you ONLY focus on wrongdoings against blacks. When have you ever spoken up against the Jews and Asians being beaten on the street or the subway, some of whom died?

Yes.

Elderly Asian Woman Fights Back After Man Punches Her in the Face in SF

Third reply

1) You are not as concerned, if at all, with crimes against Jews and Asians

2) The unprovoked attacks against Jews and Asians are disproportionately committed against blacks, and the Liberal Religion does not allow any criticism of blacks.

You are just ranting.

Why would not personally knowing their ancestor make a difference? Are you denying slavery existed in America or that those slaves have descendants who live here in this country? If both are true and we can identify descendants why shouldn't they get reparations?

Great story. There was a feature on Sirius/XM radio about this yesterday. Actually, the city of Manhattan Beach will sign to lease the property from the surviving Bruce family for a period of 24 months at an annual rate of $413,000 until it is sold at a minimum of 20 million dollars as a one time payment. The Bruce family also made the statement in an interview that they have no desire to own property in Manhattan Beach on a long term basis due to its history with their family. Of course, self serving local politicians will portray this as an act of noble humanitarianism for personal gain as mid term elections approach.

The Bruce's aren't being "given a reward" they are receiving justice. Late, but better than never.

Great story. There was a feature on Sirius/XM radio about this yesterday. Actually, the city of Manhattan Beach will sign to lease the property from the surviving Bruce family for a period of 24 months at an annual rate of $413,000 until it is sold at a minimum of 20 million dollars as a one time payment. The Bruce family also made the statement that they have no desire to own property in Manhattan Beach on a long term basis due to its history. Of course, self serving local politicians will portray this as some act of humanitarian nobility for personal gain as mid term elections approach.

The Bruce's aren't being "given a reward" they are receiving justice. Late, but better than never.

I bet it takes people another 300 years to figure out that the government is who was screwing them in the first place.

Forum List

Back