Innocent Black Man Spent 50 Years in Prison, His Compensation Will Annoy The Hell out of You

Jul 26, 2010
North Carolina
A man found guilty in a 1975 murder has spent what the National Registry of Exonerations calls the longest prison sentence on a wrongful conviction. Glynn Simmons, now 71 years old, was named a suspect in an armed robbery that left the clerk of a liquor store in Edmond, Okla. dead, according to the National Registry of Exonerations.

A witness to the incident and a patron who was shot but survived both told the police they couldn’t make out who the robbers were. However, somehow Simmons ended up getting swept into a lineup and was charged with both robbery and capital murder.

Simmons spent 48 years, one month and 18 days in prison—two of those years on death row, the registry noted.

Simmons’ co-defendant was released on parole back in 2008. And it wasn’t until this past July that Oklahoma County district attorney Vicki Behenna found prosecutors failed to turn over evidence in the case and the eyewitness identified multiple suspects in the crime. Behenna then declined to retry Simmons but left it to Oklahoma County District Judge Amy Palumbo to declare him innocent.

The ruling makes Simmons eligible for up to $175,000 in compensation from the state for wrongful conviction and opens the door for a federal lawsuit against Oklahoma City and law enforcement involved in Simmons’ arrest and conviction, defense attorney Joe Norwood said Wednesday.

We see this happen over and over to black men. Any Nword will do, the first one we find is guilty.

175.000 for spending 48yrs in prison for a crime you didn't commit, this is disgrace.

A fine example of the US Justice System and to think some of you Mod Edit: Clean Start are on here crying about Trump being mistreated.

Last edited by a moderator:
A man found guilty in a 1975 murder has spent what the National Registry of Exonerations calls the longest prison sentence on a wrongful conviction. Glynn Simmons, now 71 years old, was named a suspect in an armed robbery that left the clerk of a liquor store in Edmond, Okla. dead, according to the National Registry of Exonerations.

A witness to the incident and a patron who was shot but survived both told the police they couldn’t make out who the robbers were. However, somehow Simmons ended up getting swept into a lineup and was charged with both robbery and capital murder.

Simmons spent 48 years, one month and 18 days in prison—two of those years on death row, the registry noted.

Simmons’ co-defendant was released on parole back in 2008. And it wasn’t until this past July that Oklahoma County district attorney Vicki Behenna found prosecutors failed to turn over evidence in the case and the eyewitness identified multiple suspects in the crime. Behenna then declined to retry Simmons but left it to Oklahoma County District Judge Amy Palumbo to declare him innocent.

The ruling makes Simmons eligible for up to $175,000 in compensation from the state for wrongful conviction and opens the door for a federal lawsuit against Oklahoma City andlaw enforcement involved in Simmons’ arrest and conviction, defense attorney Joe Norwood said Wednesday.

We see this happen over and over to black men. Any Nword will do, the first one we find is guilty.

175.000 for spending 48yrs in prison for a crime you didn't commit, this is disgrace.

A fine example of the US Justice System and to think some of you cocksuckas are on here crying about Trump being mistreated.
Of course you have to somehow make this about Trump. Sheesh. The $175K is a standard level of compensation in that state and he will certainly sue for millions which he deserves.

The ruling makes Simmons eligible for up to $175,000 in compensation from the state for wrongful conviction and opens the door for a federal lawsuit against Oklahoma City and law enforcement involved in Simmons’ arrest and conviction, defense attorney Joe Norwood said Wednesday.

A fine example of the US Justice System and to think some of you cocksuckas are on here crying about Trump being mistreated.
Shit happens.

None of that means he was innocent. It means that the corrupt prosecution did not turn over all the evidence to the defense so that they could argue misidentification. He very well could have done it.

Also, we do not see "this done over and over" to blacks. That is your uneducated opinion.

He should sue and he’ll win several million but unfortunately he doesn’t get his time or life back.

Only $175,000? I would have held out for a 100 pound block of crack cocaine, 100 hookers, 100 bottles of Chivas Regal, and the chance to party with Hunter if I were black.

But then, I'm not black, so I guess I'm disqualified.

Only $175,000? I would have held out for a 100 pound block of crack cocaine, 100 hookers, 100 bottles of Chivas Regal, and the chance to party with Hunter if I were black.

That's okay. Neither is he.

Disgusting. When people don't have true Faith or they warp G-ds message, you create a society devoid of feeling or concern for another persons plight. They enjoy their lives while destroying others without another moment of thought.

Another case of great police work. I know the feeling, 33 years on...

Disgusting. When people don't have true Faith or they warp G-ds message, you create a society devoid of feeling or concern for another persons plight. They enjoy their lives while destroying others without a second of concern.

Another case of great police work. I know the feeling, 33 years on...

I have issues with law enforcement too. Why is it on most every episode of Gunsmoke, Matt Dillon manages to show up after someone gets killed?

That's some mighty fine police work there, Marshal Dillon. You're supposed to prevent crime instead of just showing up late and ordering Chester to "take care of the body."

A fine example of the US Justice System and to think some of you Mod Edit: Clean Start are on here crying about Trump being mistreated.
Yeah... That sucks...

Looks like the victims family and the prosecutor that prosecuted his case were working to get him release in 2014...

“I don’t think he did it. I really don’t..” said the murder victim’s sister Janice Smith.

Smith wrote a letter to Simmons a few years ago.

She is now convinced Simmons is innocent.

“I hope he does get out. I believe he’s innocent.” Smith said. “He shouldn’t have to be in there this long.”

The Pardon and Parole Board is Glynn Simmons’ last hope.

Simmons has the support of the victim’s family and the prosecutor who put him on death row.

Former Oklahoma County Assistant District Attorney, Bob Mildfelt has written a letter of support to the Pardon and Parole Board in support of Glynn Simmons saying, in part, “I remember your case very well. I realize the evidence was thing against you…. Your case has troubled me these many years because of the many questions unanswered by the evidence we had.”

In 1975 all we had was eye-witness testimony...and the victim that survived got up in court and swore that those were the men that shot her in the head.

And that was why a jury convicted him.

Stuff happens. If he is indeed innocent, that is tragic. That it happens "over and over" to black men is just goofy.

For you to then bring President Trump into this thread is sheer desperation.

Why?

Stuff happens. If he is indeed innocent, that is tragic. That it happens "over and over" to black men is just goofy.

Why?
Why do you call it "goofy?"

Why?

Tragedy happens.

Adults get over it.

Those who refuse to grow up suck the victimhood tit forever.

Last edited:
Why do you call it "goofy?"
If he was truly innocent, he deserves every dollar he can get. And more than that any abuses he took from law enforcement, corrections etc. need to become slaves for him. Whatever dolor or culture. And add sins of the father to it. That sucks mightily.

So you would have gotten 100 pounds of Meth, 100 trailer park tricks, 100 bottles of Jack Daniels and a chance to party with Ozzy Osborne.

Forum List

Back