Police raid over people tapping tree's for maple syrup.

pknopp

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2019
Not a major story but a couple things of note. First, the cops send in a squad of officers to address some people tapping tree's and boiling maple syrup. Sent in a helicopter no less.

I can't even fathom the discussion at the police station. "We have some native people tapping tree's and boiling syrup. Get together a dozen officers in tactical gear and call out the helicopter".

I have a feeling it was someone mentioning the word "sovereign" that set them off. Authoritarians will have none of this, even if it means making maple syrup.

Detroit police break up Native sugarbush ceremony, saying 'sovereign stuff is not valid'

Not a major story but a couple things of note. First, the cops send in a squad of officers to address some people tapping tree's and boiling maple syrup. Sent in a helicopter no less.

I can't even fathom the discussion at the police station. "We have some native people tapping tree's and boiling syrup. Get together a dozen officers in tactical gear and call out the helicopter".

I have a feeling it was someone mentioning the word "sovereign" that set them off. Authoritarians will have none of this, even if it means making maple syrup.

Detroit police break up Native sugarbush ceremony, saying 'sovereign stuff is not valid'

I have to agree with Wyatt on this one, they were in a public park that has rules. If the Boy Scouts or church group needs a permit, then so do these folks

They were in a city park after dark having a camp fire...

They were legally allowed in the park. The article makes that clear. At worse they hadn't completely filled out the permit for a fire (but it's one's word against the other here) and it takes one officer to tell people to put out a fire, not a dozen and a helicopter.

They were legally allowed in the park. The article makes that clear. At worse they hadn't completely filled out the permit for a fire (but it's one's word against the other here) and it takes one officer to tell people to put out a fire, not a dozen and a helicopter.

Being allowed to be in the park and being allowed to have bonfires and tap trees are two very different things

Ever been to Detroit? Some parts even cops won't go to.

Damn those Amish and their raw milk too. ;)

LOL.....There's a member on another forum that gets so worked-up about the "evils" of raw milk that he considers them domestic terrorists.
Good God really?

Damn those Amish and their raw milk too. ;)

LOL.....There's a member on another forum that gets so worked-up about the "evils" of raw milk that he considers them domestic terrorists.
LOL as a kid we had a cow mom would milk it but I hated raw milk she tried putting it in milk cartoons to fool me but I didnt like the taste so that didnt work. But nothing wrong with it I just didnt like it.

Being allowed to be in the park and being allowed to have bonfires and tap trees are two very different things

One officer. "Let me see your permit". It's either legit and you move on or you tell them to put the fire out. One officer.

In a city with one of the highest crime rates in the country, Detroit cops have time for this. CRAZY!!!

One officer. "Let me see your permit". It's either legit and you move on or you tell them to put the fire out. One officer.

I see your point about the high number of officers and you are probably correct, they might have been expecting trouble due to the whole "sovereign" thing

Videos posted to social media later showed officers standing side-by-side ordering attendees to leave the park amid an extinguished fire. Officers also indicated attendees were violating city ordinances by being in the park after dark.

According to Detroit Code of Ordinances chapter 33, “All City parks and public places shall be closed to the public from 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m., unless posted signs designate a different period of closure.”

Detroit police apologize after breaking up Native American sugarbush ceremony

“On behalf of the Detroit Police Department, we would like to apologize for the interruption of a sacred ceremony,” White said in a statement.

I saw that story in one of my online newsfeeds yesterday.

It sounds like an echo of Cool Hand Luke's 'warden, the Captain: "What we have here, is a failure to communicate".

Yes, it was public property.
A park. After dark.
With an open fire.
And public maple trees too.

So I can see the 'concern' of a passing patrolman who then informs dispatch there are a bunch of people possibly violating park rules.

But then, to add nuance ----the Anishinaabe peoples in the park said they had been given permision for their annual tree-tapping ceremony by some police or park or government official.

And that 'permission' was not conveyed to Detroit PD.
And thus, events ensued.
And then the apology.

Much ado over nothing.
The rest of America, and Detroit, and Native communities need not read too much into this ....failure to communicate.

Overkill, no doubt.

You can shit on the streets, shoot up drugs on public property and steal from stores but you can't get sap from a maple tree. Sometimes you gotta wonder.

You can shit on the streets, shoot up drugs on public property and steal from stores but you can't get sap from a maple tree. Sometimes you gotta wonder.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
You are over-thinking it, poster 'whitehall'.

But, if you can do those things......well, how would you know you can?
Unless you have?

Forum List

Back