Biden/Obama in 2020

Cant read that link. It wants me to sign up for a subscription. What does it say?

It's too long to post - but does sound legally possible. Here are some excerpts:

The answer seems straightforward. But it is less straightforward than it appears.

Michael Dorf is a professor of constitutional law at Cornell University. In 2000, he argued that an Al Gore-Bill Clinton ticket could withstand legal scrutiny. And when we spoke by phone on Thursday, he said that he stood by that argument.

The rough outline of his argument is this: The 22nd Amendment doesn't say you can't be president for more than two terms. It says you can't be elected president twice. If a Biden-Obama ticket won (which we'll get to), and tragedy were to befall Joe Biden, Barack Obama could become president, according to the letter of the law (which we'll also get to), since he wasn't elected to the position. As such, Obama is not constitutionally ineligible to serve as president.

So, in short: Yes, Joe Biden can name Barack Obama as his running mate. It's even conceivable that, if they won, they could argue their case before Congress to be seated as president and vice president.
AMENDMENT XXII - Passed by Congress March 21, 1947. Ratified February 27, 1951.

Section 1.
No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of President more than once. But this Article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President when this Article was proposed by Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this Article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term.

NO! he can not...

Yes, like I stated above - "elected" is the operative word. Read my link slowly.

The rough outline of his argument is this: The 22nd Amendment doesn't say you can't be president for more than two terms. It says you can't be elected president twice. If a Biden-Obama ticket won (which we'll get to), and tragedy were to befall Joe Biden, Barack Obama could become president, according to the letter of the law (which we'll also get to), since he wasn't elected to the position. As such, Obama is not constitutionally ineligible to serve as president.

According to the Democratic mantra, GWB was SELECTED, not elected in 2000.

So, he is eligible to be elected President again.

For a legal second term.
. Trump also as according to the crats, so he has got two terms left to go after this one.

Last edited:
Do you know what else he does not do? He does not control who likes him or doesn't.

You're right. Farrakhan and Duke both chose to like him because they approve of the things he embodies. Nothing forced either of them to make that choice.
Are you really stupid enough to believe that?

They both praised Trump. What more do you need?
Obama got his start in politics with Bill Ayers, went to Reverend Wrights church, and was mentored by a communist. What else do you need?

But Obama------But Obama----------But Obama--------When you are stuck, you can always say But Obama, and run for the hills.
. Yeah like thinking Obama can get in there again. You can start your Forrest Gump run now. :scared1:

DX8AwE4U0AA0aGU.jpg

Could Joe Biden pick Barack Obama as his running mate?

No, he cannot. Obama is constitutionally ineligible to serve again as president under any circumstances..

How so?

22A: "No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice ..."

This applies to all.

"... no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of President more than once.

Applies to a VP assuming office.

The rest is applicable only to the period in which the amendment was ratified.

"But this Article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President when this Article was proposed by Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this Article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term."

DX8AwE4U0AA0aGU.jpg

Could Joe Biden pick Barack Obama as his running mate? Yes. But.

The answer seems straightforward. But it is less straightforward than it appears.

Michael Dorf is a professor of constitutional law at Cornell University. In 2000, he argued that an Al Gore-Bill Clinton ticket could withstand legal scrutiny. And when we spoke by phone on Thursday, he said that he stood by that argument.

So, in short: Yes, Joe Biden can name Barack Obama as his running mate. It's even conceivable that, if they won, they could argue their case before Congress to be seated as president and vice president.

More: Could Joe Biden pick Barack Obama as his running mate? Yes. But.

This sounds like a great idea to me! It's sinking in! The A-Team! What do you think?

Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders hold double digit leads over Trump in 2020.

The person to watch is Kirsten Gillibrand. She's picking up a lot of women delegates in states she is providing financial support to. Which is what you have to do to get nominated. A Biden or Sanders Gillibrand ticket would get the majority of every demographic of voter except the angry whitewing male, but they are only 15% of the electorate.

You're right. Farrakhan and Duke both chose to like him because they approve of the things he embodies. Nothing forced either of them to make that choice.

Obama got his start in politics with Bill Ayers, went to Reverend Wrights church, and was mentored by a communist. What else do you need?

But Obama------But Obama----------But Obama--------When you are stuck, you can always say But Obama, and run for the hills.
. Yeah like thinking Obama can get in there again. You can start your Forrest Gump run now. :scared1:
When did I say Obama should be president again? He was a great president, and I wish he could hold that position again, but it's not going to happen, and I know that. You seem to fear that possibility the same way that you irrationally fear someone coming for your guns.

DX8AwE4U0AA0aGU.jpg

No, he cannot. Obama is constitutionally ineligible to serve again as president under any circumstances..

How so?

22A: "No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice ..."

This applies to all.

"... no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of President more than once.

"But this Article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President when this Article was proposed by Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this Article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term."
. They would love to see Obama get back in there so he could become the dictator they wanted him to be. You know get social justice for them, and promote or demand as a dictator that social justice the same as is happening in South Africa happens here also in the minds of the radical supporters Obama still has.

Ole Louis Farrakhan would probably be unshered in as second in charge of his dictatorship.

They aren't stopping, but if they keep on Trump will be assured to become the first real dictator this nation will receive. I mean how much more attacks on his family and such can the man take ?

When did I say Obama should be president again? He was a great president, and I wish he could hold that position again, but it's not going to happen, and I know that. You seem to fear that possibility the same way that you irrationally fear someone coming for your guns.
And can you blame us ?? We aren't as stupid as the Demon-crats think we are.

DX8AwE4U0AA0aGU.jpg

How so?

This applies to all.

. They would love to see Obama get back in there so he could become the dictator they wanted him to be. You know get social justice for them, and promote or demand as a dictator that social justice the same as is happening in South Africa happens here also in the minds of the radical supporters Obama still has.

Ole Louis Farrakhan would probably be unshered in as second in charge of his dictatorship.

They aren't stopping, but if they keep on Trump will be assured to become the first real dictator this nation will receive. I mean how much more attacks on his family and such can the man take ?

Farrakhan endorsed Trump
images

You're pretty stupid.

DX8AwE4U0AA0aGU.jpg

This sounds like a great idea to me! It's sinking in! The A-Team! What do you think?

Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders hold double digit leads over Trump in 2020.

The person to watch is Kirsten Gillibrand. She's picking up a lot of women delegates in states she is providing financial support to. Which is what you have to do to get nominated. A Biden or Sanders Gillibrand ticket would get the majority of every demographic of voter except the angry whitewing male, but they are only 15% of the electorate.
. Your voodoo math reeks of political corruption in which alot of Demon-crats are probably hoping to use on 2020. The nation will be watching again, and the same Hillary style corruption will lose out again, so get ready for the meltdown AGAIN......

You're pretty stupid.
. So what does that say about you ? You are the one worried about a stupid person... ROTFLMBO.

DX8AwE4U0AA0aGU.jpg

How so?

This applies to all.

I don't think it's having any real effect on him. After a year of a 24/7 onslaught he shows no signs of fatigue. He's not slowing down.

Monkeys tossing poop isn't a problem on this side of the glass. You just laugh at them.

You're pretty stupid.
. So what does that say about you ? You are the one worried about a stupid person... ROTFLMBO.

Big difference between worrying about, and laughing at. You're the one doing all the worrying.
images

There are some people out there who think Obama could actually become Vice President and then be appointed to the office of President if something happened to Biden. To those people I say: It can't happen.

According to the U.S. Constitution, Obama could never become Biden's Vice President. First, the Constitution provides that a Vice President cannot be elected if he/she is constitutional ineligible to the office of President. Second, the Constitution provides that no person can hold the office of President for more than two terms. Therefore, since Obama has served two terms as President he cannot hold that office again, and since he is unqualified for the office of the presidency he cannot become Vice President. The relevant portions of the Constitution are found in Amendments XII and XXII and they are provided below.

Amendment XII
“The person having the greatest number of votes as Vice-President, shall be the Vice-President, if such number be a majority of the whole number of Electors appointed, and if no person have a majority, then from the two highest numbers on the list, the Senate shall choose the Vice-President; a quorum for the purpose shall consist of two-thirds of the whole number of Senators, and a majority of the whole number shall be necessary to a choice. But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States” (emphasis my own).

Amendment XXII
Section 1

“No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once. But this article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President when this article was proposed by the Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term.”

Obama would not be eligible to run for the office of Vice President. When the Constitution says, “But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States” it means that no one who is ineligible to be ELECTED President can Be ELECTED as Vice President. So what does it take to be eligible to run for the office of president? Well, according to Article II, Section 1, he must be a natural born citizen, at least 35 years old and have resided in the United States for 14 years; further, according to Amendment 22, Section 1, he cannot have been previously elected to the office for two terms.

Some people think that Obama could become Vice President and serve again as President if something happened to Biden because he would be appointed to that position rather than being elected. This is not true. In order to become Vice President Obama would have to be elected to that position; however, the Constitution prohibits him from becoming Vice President since he is not qualified to be President. The language of the Constitution is plain and simple: Obama's gone.

The Twelfth Amendment does not say that no one who is ineligible to be ELECTED President can Be ELECTED as Vice President. It says no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President. There is a subtle, but important difference between what the Twelfth Amendment actually says, and what you are erroneously claiming that it says.

There is nothing in the Twelfth Amendment, the Twenty-Second Amendment, nor anywhere else in the Constitution that prohibits one who is not eligible to be elected President due to the Twenty-Second Amendment, but who is otherwise qualified, from being elected or appointed to any position in the line of succession to the Presidency (including the Vice-Presidency), and then becoming President should everyone ahead of him in that line be removed.

Semantics, the las bastion of a loser. Since you are too stupid to understand 18th century english allow me to update the vernacular for you.

But no person constitutionally ineligible to HOLD the office of President shall be eligible to HOLD that of Vice-President of the United States

I hope that helps you grasp the language.

I understand the language just fine. Your insertion of the word “hold” into the Twelfth Amendment does not change its meaning, and does not refute my position. The Professor's insertion of the word “elected” into his paraphrase of the Twelfth Amendment does change the meaning; and constitutes his claiming that the Twelfth Amendment says something different than what it actually says.

There is a way to achieve the position of President, and to hold that office, other than being directly elected to it. The Twenty-Second Amendment only states that one may not be elected to the office of the President, if he has already been twice before elected to that position, or if he has once before been elected, and has also served at least half of an unelected term, as President.

The Twenty-Second Amendment doesn't say anything about one being ineligible to hold the office of President, after reaching the limits specified. It only says that such a person is ineligible to be elected again to that position. This has no bearing on his eligibility to be elected or appointed to any other position in the line of succession to the Presidency, and to assuming the Presidency should all those higher in that line be removed.

You can make that claim, he's not eligible for VP per the 12th, should he run for congress and be elected speaker the 25th would require he be passed over because he has already held the office for two full terms. Your free to fantasize otherwise but you would be wrong.

Since Trump seems to be getting away with pushing and testing the boundaries and limits of our Constitution - why couldn't a Biden/Obama ticket in 2020?

As the Twenty-Second Amendment is written, there is nothing to stop a former two-term President from serving again as President, if he achieved that office by any other means than being directly elected to it. The scenario described in the OP could indeed legitimately happen—Biden (or any other candidate) could choose Obama as his running mate, Obama could be thus elected vice President, and then service again as President if the President with whom he ran died or was otherwise removed from office. Obama could also be elected or assigned to other positions within the line of succession, and then rise to the Presidency if all those ahead of him in that line were removed.

It's all possible, and legal, albeit extremely unlikely.

On a related note, there has been one President of this country who was never elected to either the position of President nor Vice-President. I am wondering who else here on this forum knows which President that was, and how he became President.
Wrong:

The 22nd amendment is written in the precise term. As the President and Vice President ARE ELECTED TOGETHER it is an elected position for which he may not be elected to again.

OMG, I feel sorry for you. You are so wrong. There is nothing preventing Obama from being elected vice president - he just can't ever be ELECTED president again. But he could ascent to the presidency under certain circumstances.
Read the last sentence of the 12th amendment.
"But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States."

DX8AwE4U0AA0aGU.jpg

Vice President Bill Clinton? - FactCheck.org

As the Twenty-Second Amendment is written, there is nothing to stop a former two-term President from serving again as President, if he achieved that office by any other means than being directly elected to it. The scenario described in the OP could indeed legitimately happen—Biden (or any other candidate) could choose Obama as his running mate, Obama could be thus elected vice President, and then service again as President if the President with whom he ran died or was otherwise removed from office. Obama could also be elected or assigned to other positions within the line of succession, and then rise to the Presidency if all those ahead of him in that line were removed.

It's all possible, and legal, albeit extremely unlikely.

On a related note, there has been one President of this country who was never elected to either the position of President nor Vice-President. I am wondering who else here on this forum knows which President that was, and how he became President.
Wrong:

The 22nd amendment is written in the precise term. As the President and Vice President ARE ELECTED TOGETHER it is an elected position for which he may not be elected to again.

OMG, I feel sorry for you. You are so wrong. There is nothing preventing Obama from being elected vice president - he just can't ever be ELECTED president again. But he could ascent to the presidency under certain circumstances.
Read the last sentence of the 12th amendment.
"But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States."

Yes, I'm aware of that. However, there's more to it than that. Read some of my previous posts and sources - including the 22nd Amendment.

Forum List

Back