Bible criticism

Genesis 8.20 And Noah builded an altar unto the LORD; and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar.

If Noah made a burnt offering of every clean beast out of the survivors from the ark, the clean beasts would all have become extinct. Because there was only one pair of each.
No. There were extras. Read it again.

How many pairs of clean animals did God tell Noah to take into the Ark?
  • Two (Genesis 6:19, 20)
  • Seven (Genesis 7:2). But despite this last instruction only two pairs went into the ark (Genesis 7:8-9)

101 Contradictions in the Bible.

as I said, all of the contradictions in the Bible are not mistakes or evidence that its all bunch of crap but like giant X's on a treasure map they mark a place where something of great value is buried and hidden.

So all the contradictions are not mistakes, but evidence of some deep underlying meaning.

Why next you will be arguing that Black is really White.

I am sorry but my reading of Genesis leads me to the conclusion it is made up stories that are nothing but bunk.

My first reading of the bible revealed many apparent contradictions. I saw two proverbs back to back. One told me not to argue with a fool. The other told me to correct him.
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven.
Perhaps these apparent contradictions are the result of my own lack of understanding.

They are hate sites. Go find me 10 websites proving Zeus never existed. Scholars don't bother with what they think is mythology.

Indeed. Excellent points. They sure expend a lot of feverish energy ranting and raving about Judaeo-Christian theology for people supposedly 'rational' and 'objective' n stuff'.

And, for the record, there are zero contradictions and literary flaws in any of the books of the Old and New Testaments; together they are a carefully constructed and sophisticated work of philosophy, human psychology, literature, and logic, with a complex chiastic structure, and only seriously dysfunctional sociopaths and un-educated cretins and simpletons feel some neurotic compulsion to constantly attack it, especially with such half-assed gibberish as the OP does.

And, for the record, there are zero contradictions and literary flaws in any of the books of the Old and New Testaments;.

So where did Cain's wife come from? Was Noah really 950 years old? What did the animals eat when they came out of the ark? etc.

Last edited:
as I said, all of the contradictions in the Bible are not mistakes or evidence that its all bunch of crap but like giant X's on a treasure map they mark a place where something of great value is buried and hidden.

So all the contradictions are not mistakes, but evidence of some deep underlying meaning.

I am sorry but my reading of Genesis leads me to the conclusion it is made up stories that are nothing but bunk.

I certainly understand why you or anyone would arrive at that conclusion. It used to be my conclusion for decades, since grade school, in part because believers claimed that it was without contradictions, should be taken literally, and because I could not make any sense of the stories. Seemed easy enough to think it was all just bunk as if that what was intended by the authors.. How could anyone over the age of 8 "just believe" that angels carry people by their hair while flying through the sky. They didn't even seem to be trying to be believable.

The contradictions were obvious and what was expected to just be accepted and believed by faith was irrational. For instance, in the gospel of John, "how can he give us his flesh to eat", to me seemed like a perfectly reasonable objection to what Jesus allegedly said. But just a little further on in the story, john 16:25 Jesus said, " till now I have been using figures of speech." Jesus himself telling the reader that what he said should not be taken literally.

What this did to me was alert me to the fact that everything that Jesus said before that, I will give you living water, I am living bread, I have come down from heaven, eat my flesh, etc., all have deeper meaning. Armed with that clue, I went back and re read everything in a new light and found something of great value.

Even the fact that the beginning of John resembles the story of creation where as we discussed before lights in the firmament of heaven divide the day from the night, just like Jesus said he was a light and came to bring division shows that these contradictions were meant to be noticed and were deliberately included for the specific purpose of inspiring the deep, intelligent, and rational thinking required to solve a riddle.

Don't be lazy. Noticing the contradictions is just the beginning of the road that leads to comprehension.

Last edited:
And, for the record, there are zero contradictions and literary flaws in any of the books of the Old and New Testaments; together they are a carefully constructed and sophisticated work of philosophy, human psychology, literature, and logic, with a complex chiastic structure, and only seriously dysfunctional sociopaths and un-educated cretins and simpletons feel some neurotic compulsion to constantly attack it, especially with such half-assed gibberish as the OP does.
together they are a carefully constructed - -

what is the religion of those two documents ...

If one feels a deep need to justify giving up faith, a belief in God, or the Word of God, they will excuse themselves by creating their own version of scripture and pointing out flaws in their personal version. "See, if you read scripture like this--out of context and with no understanding of the original culture and language--it becomes bunk." Yes, it does. That is why it is vital to read it while studying the original culture, language, and context.

However, if one wants to get away from God and the faith in which they grew, studying the original culture and language would be an exercise in futility--just as searching the Bible to present an excuse for no faith is also an exercise in futility. The well adjusted individual says, "I don't believe in God" and moves on with their life and the study of something in which they do believe or in which they have an interest.

I certainly understand why you or anyone would arrive at that conclusion. It used to be my conclusion for decades, since grade school, in part because believers claimed that it was without contradictions, should be taken literally, and because I could not make any sense of the stories. Seemed easy enough to think it was all just bunk as if that what was intended by the authors.. How could anyone over the age of 8 "just believe" that angels carry people by their hair while flying through the sky.

The contradictions were obvious and what was expected to just be accepted and believed by faith was irrational. For instance, in the gospel of John, "how can he give us his flesh to eat", to me seemed like a perfectly reasonable objection to what Jesus allegedly said. But just a little further on in the story, john 16:25 Jesus said, " till now I have been using figures of speech." Jesus himself telling the reader that what he said should not be taken literally.

What this did to me was alert me to the fact that everything that Jesus said before that, I will give you living water, I am living bread, I have come down from heaven, eat my flesh, etc., all have deeper meaning.

Even the fact that the beginning of John resembles the story of creation where as we discussed before lights in the firmament of heaven divide the day from the night, just like Jesus said he was a light and came to bring division shows that these contradictions were meant to be noticed and were deliberately included for the specific purpose of inspiring the deep thought required to solve a riddle.

Don't be lazy. Noticing the contradictions is just the beginning of the road that leads to comprehension.

So far I have only been reading Genesis, and not the new testament. But I am aware that too is full of problems. For example at Matthew 26 .39 Jesus is by himself talking to God. So there was no one there to report what he said because the disciples were asleep.

I certainly understand why you or anyone would arrive at that conclusion. It used to be my conclusion for decades, since grade school, in part because believers claimed that it was without contradictions, should be taken literally, and because I could not make any sense of the stories. Seemed easy enough to think it was all just bunk as if that what was intended by the authors.. How could anyone over the age of 8 "just believe" that angels carry people by their hair while flying through the sky.

What this did to me was alert me to the fact that everything that Jesus said before that, I will give you living water, I am living bread, I have come down from heaven, eat my flesh, etc., all have deeper meaning.

Even the fact that the beginning of John resembles the story of creation where as we discussed before lights in the firmament of heaven divide the day from the night, just like Jesus said he was a light and came to bring division shows that these contradictions were meant to be noticed and were deliberately included for the specific purpose of inspiring the deep thought required to solve a riddle.

So far I have only been reading Genesis, and not the new testament. But I am aware that too is full of problems. For example at Matthew 26 .39 Jesus is by himself talking to God. So there was no one there to report what he said because the disciples were asleep.

Exactly. Perfect example!

Yes, Jesus went off to talk to God by himself three times and found them asleep three times while he was praying for some mysterious cup to pass him by. Contradiction. Who was there to record what he said? An X on a treasure map.

What did them being found asleep indicate? Why did he tell them to stay awake and pray to be spared the test? What test? Ever wonder what that cup was?

Jeremiah 25:15

Apparently Jesus didn't want to curse the nations.

Last edited:

If one feels a deep need to justify giving up faith, a belief in God, or the Word of God, they will excuse themselves by creating their own version of scripture and pointing out flaws in their personal version. "See, if you read scripture like this--out of context and with no understanding of the original culture and language--it becomes bunk." Yes, it does. That is why it is vital to read it while studying the original culture, language, and context.

However, if one wants to get away from God and the faith in which they grew, studying the original culture and language would be an exercise in futility--just as searching the Bible to present an excuse for no faith is also an exercise in futility. The well adjusted individual says, "I don't believe in God" and moves on with their life and the study of something in which they do believe or in which they have an interest.
The well adjusted individual says, "I don't believe in God" and moves on with their life and the study of something in which they do believe or in which they have an interest.

and for those who find understanding with the Almighty why then is theirs an excuse for not rendering a belief in the unverified bible when no discernible religion exists in that document.

and for those who find understanding with the Almighty why then is theirs an excuse for not rendering a belief in the unverified bible when no discernible religion exists in that document.

I am not sure I have a correct understanding of what you are saying. The Bible is a vast collection of literature, history, and philosophy that addresses people's experiences of God and of God's interaction with mankind. Some religions have their roots in these accounts.

It is also true that some individuals and some denominations choose to use the Bible as a bludgeon to force others into their way of thinking. What we are seeing in this thread is an individual who has elected, it seems, to turn and use the same bludgeon used on him to bludgeon others.

"I am tired of reading all the bible thumping threads telling us the bible is the word of God, and we will burn in hell if we do not believe it."

Yes, people have been tired of that for some 2000 years now.

The Bible is a vast collection of literature, history, and philosophy that addresses people's experiences of God and of God's interaction with mankind

Maybe you should have said," God's 'supposed' interaction with mankind". Rather than stating it as a fact.

As it happens I think there may be a God, but I do not believe he did anything as reported in the bible.

The Bible is a vast collection of literature, history, and philosophy that addresses people's experiences of God and of God's interaction with mankind

Maybe you should have said," God's 'supposed' interaction with mankind". Rather than stating it as a fact.

As it happens I think there may be a God, but I do not believe he did anything as reported in the bible.

No, I shouldn't have said, "supposed." God is more than just metaphor. If you don't believe He did anything in the Biblical accounts, then why read the Bible? What about the people in the Bible? Do you believe they existed or did the things the Bible describes?

Forum List

Back