Bible criticism

Adam and Eve had access to the Tree of Life in the garden. They disobeyed and were cast out. They carried out a sack of the fruit and passed them down to the patriarchs. The sack was empty shortly after Noah.
Of coarse he lived 950 years.
I really think Moses made up this story to try to get the Hebrews now under his command to be good little boyz and girlies and stop killing each other, fokking each other's wives, lying, stealing, and being jealous.

Here is an article defining the use of the word ' day' in the bible.

The Meaning of "Day" in Genesis | The Institute for Creation Research

Here is an article about the Hebrew word yom , and its context

http://creationtoday.org/the-hebrew-yom-taking-one-day-at-a-time/

The Hebrew yom occurs 2,282 times outside Genesis 1. It occurs 359 times with a number outside Genesis 1. Some of these occurrences use cardinal numbers (one, two, three, etc.) and some use ordinal numbers (first, second, third, etc.). However, in all 359 cases, the context clearly shows that a 24-hour day is being referenced.

Yom occurs 19 times outside Genesis 1, together with either the word “morning” or “evening.” In all 19 cases, a 24-hour day is clearly intended.

The words “morning” and “evening” occur together, without “day” 38 times outside Genesis 1. Each of these occurrences refers to a literal 24-hour day.

Finally, the Hebrew yom occurs with the word “night” 53 times outside Genesis 1. Guess what! Each of these occurrences refers to a 24-hour day.
You seem very dependent on other people's ideas.

Technically that makes you an extroverted nerd. You rely on external sources for your truth.

I am tired of reading all the bible thumping threads telling us the bible is the word of God, and we will burn in hell if we do not believe it. So here is a thread to dismantle the bible and prove it cannot be from God, and it has not been preserved unchanged.
I will be posting many links and doing some cut and paste jobs, because I am no bible expert, but I know a lot of work has been done on this by others.

The first point I would like to raise is the age of Noah and other so called prophets. The bible says Noah lived to be 950 years old, but I read somewhere that this is now believed to be a mistake in the translation of the numbers from an early bible, by a scribe that did not understand the numbering system.
I will research this and post links.

To be going on with here are a couple of links to critical pages.

Bible Babble - The Holy Bible and it's Errors, Contradictions, and so on.

Biblical scientific errors - RationalWiki
Anyone here actually try to READ the Bible? It isn't even great fiction, it doesn't have a good narrative, overall logic fails. Hard to follow, ambiguous and BORING, an epic fail . We base a religion on that claptrap? I know, I know, we do. But Islam, that's the major epic fail, suicide bombers and murder innocent people for...THAT?
I have read it cover to cover several times. I still enjoy it.

I treat most of it like fiction however because over the millennia it obviously got enhanced with the retelling.
I still enjoy it.

and its translations bearing on history as well ...

Genesis 1.14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years

"I am the light of the world. Followers of mine shall not walk in darkness; they shall have the light of life."

"Do you suppose that I came to grant peace on earth? I tell you, no, but rather division;"

"Those who have guided people in the true path shall shine like the stars of heaven forever."

You are wasting you time trying to disprove with science that which scripture is not about, the creation of the universe, talking snakes and donkeys, stars in the sky, etc.

Pride is what is preventing you from perceiving what scripture is about even after you have been shown.

astonishing!

Last edited:
Genesis 1.14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years

"I am the light of the world. Followers of mine shall not walk in darkness; they shall have the light of life."

"Do you suppose that I came to grant peace on earth? I tell you, no, but rather division;"

"Those who have guided people in the true path shall shine like the stars of heaven forever."

!

Why the three totally irrelevant and unrelated verses. As far as I can see the word DIVIDE in Genesis 1.14 means the division between day and night.

Here is an article defining the use of the word ' day' in the bible.

The Meaning of "Day" in Genesis | The Institute for Creation Research

Here is an article about the Hebrew word yom , and its context

http://creationtoday.org/the-hebrew-yom-taking-one-day-at-a-time/

The Hebrew yom occurs 2,282 times outside Genesis 1. It occurs 359 times with a number outside Genesis 1. Some of these occurrences use cardinal numbers (one, two, three, etc.) and some use ordinal numbers (first, second, third, etc.). However, in all 359 cases, the context clearly shows that a 24-hour day is being referenced.

Yom occurs 19 times outside Genesis 1, together with either the word “morning” or “evening.” In all 19 cases, a 24-hour day is clearly intended.

The words “morning” and “evening” occur together, without “day” 38 times outside Genesis 1. Each of these occurrences refers to a literal 24-hour day.

Finally, the Hebrew yom occurs with the word “night” 53 times outside Genesis 1. Guess what! Each of these occurrences refers to a 24-hour day.
You seem very dependent on other people's ideas.

Technically that makes you an extroverted nerd. You rely on external sources for your truth.

I am new to bible criticism, but it has been going on for hundreds of years, so obviously I am going to refer to work that has previously been done.

I really think Moses made up this story to try to get the Hebrews now under his command to be good little boyz and girlies and stop killing each other, fokking each other's wives, lying, stealing, and being jealous.

Or, more likely, there never was a Moses and he is a fictional character. There is no account of any of his acts of freeing the slaves of Egypt in any of their writings.

Now let me see, God created Adam and then created Eve from his rib. They had two sons, Cain and Able.
Cain killed Able and the next thing is he has a wife. Where exactly did his wife come from? Not only this but Cain builds a city. No mean trick for one man to do.

Genesis 4.17 And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch

Genesis 7.4 definitely states the flood would kill every living substance from the face of the earth. So it is talking of a global flood, which we know never happened.

Genesis 7.4 For yet seven days, and I will cause it to rain upon the earth forty days and forty nights; and every living substance that I have made will I destroy from off the face of the earth

Genesis 7.4 definitely states the flood would kill every living substance from the face of the earth. So it is talking of a global flood, which we know never happened.

Genesis 7.4 For yet seven days, and I will cause it to rain upon the earth forty days and forty nights; and every living substance that I have made will I destroy from off the face of the earth

what about the aquatic animals and vegetation ...

the scribes should have figured out some other way to kill off the evil-doers, a good idea but makes no sense to kill all Fauna and Flora with them and why wouldn't there have been other boats ?

!

Why the three totally irrelevant and unrelated verses. As far as I can see the word DIVIDE in Genesis 1.14 means the division between day and night.

Fair enough. Let me try to break this down.

I will assume that you are like most people and have heard it all before. I am the light of the world, I will be lifted up, the ascension into heaven, I have come to bring division, etc.

When Jesus said things like this he was referring to the only source of information available to him in Judea at the time, the Torah.

When you posted Genesis 1:14, didn't you make any connections even though all of these things that Jesus said are in that verse from the lights in heaven, dividing the day from the night, light from darkness.

Another example of how to discern intended meaning would be when Jesus said that he came to bring a sword. This also had to be a reference to something Jesus read in the OT. After digging around one comes across Jeremiah 25:15 where a sword is clearly identified as a curse under the appearance of a cup of wine.. I personally can't help but notice that Jesus said almost the exact same thing at the last supper. Add to that Revelation 19:44 where is is affirmed that the sword that Jesus brought both came out of his mouth, took on the form of words, and was used to deliberately smite the nations.

This changes everything.

If the history of the church did not read exactly like the litany of maledictions promised by Moses for defying the God of Israel I could probably blow it all off, but......Doesn't history confirm that every nation that drank from the cup of wine that Jesus sent his disciples to give went completely mad?

Haven't you know personally people who were completely normal one day who then went gibbering off into la-la-land, many never to return, as soon as they drank the Jesus juice?

Nothing simplistic about written words that have had such a far reaching worldwide effect for so many thousands of years. Damn smart them bronze age goat herders and first century peasants if you ask me..

Try to see all of the contradictions in the Bible not as mistakes or evidence that its all bunch of crap but like giant X's on a treasure map indicating where something of great value is buried and hidden.

The kingdom of heaven is like treasure lying buried in a field. The man who found it, buried it again.... Matthew 13:44

If you really want the answers to your many questions, start digging....if you can dig it.

Last edited:
Just how long did it take for Adam to name every living creature, considering there a millions of species.

Genesis 2.19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.
Genesis 2.20 And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him.

Try to see all of the contradictions in the Bible not as mistakes or evidence that its all bunch of crap but like giant X's on a treasure map indicating where something of great value is buried and hidden.

So you admit there are many contradictions in the bible?

Genesis 8.19 Every beast, every creeping thing, and every fowl, and whatsoever creepeth upon the earth, after their kinds, went forth out of the ark.

So what happened then ? All the plants and animals on earth had been wiped out by the flood, so what did the pairs of animals from the ark eat?

Genesis 8.20 And Noah builded an altar unto the LORD; and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar.

If Noah made a burnt offering of every clean beast out of the survivors from the ark, the clean beasts would all have become extinct. Because there was only one pair of each.

Genesis 8.20 And Noah builded an altar unto the LORD; and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar.

If Noah made a burnt offering of every clean beast out of the survivors from the ark, the clean beasts would all have become extinct. Because there was only one pair of each.
No. There were extras. Read it again.

So you admit there are many contradictions in the bible?

Of course, yes, there are many contradictions in the bible. Anyone who would not admit that would have to be extremely dishonest.

as I said, all of the contradictions in the Bible are not mistakes or evidence that its all bunch of crap but like giant X's on a treasure map they mark a place where something of great value is buried and hidden.

That scripture can be interpreted in many ways is also no accident.

"So he drove the man out and to the east of the Garden of Eden he placed the cherubim and a flaming and flashing sword that turned in every direction to guard the way to the tree of life."

ugh. Would a talking serpent qualify as a contradiction of at least reality?

Any person with a second grade education should have noticed that scripture should not be taken literally immediately after a talking serpent was introduced into the narrative.
'
The contradictions were meant to be noticed. They were designed to inspire deep thought, the spark of divine life, within the mind of the sincere and honest seeker and to divert every superstitious and irrational enemy of God.

New Topics

Forum List

Back