Bible criticism

Mark 9.43 And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched.

Mathew 25.41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

Mark 9:43: I don't know which version of the Bible you are using but both Matthew and Mark say "Gehenna" not "Hell."

In Jesus day, Gehenna was a reference to the city's dump, where fire and the worm were ever present. The New Testament also presents the idea that sin/disobedience to God is slavery; that, in fact, obedience to God is freedom. Slavery, sin, disobedience is like a dump--where the fire is never quenched and the worm never dies. Matthew is more specific, comparing even becoming angry with the city dump. Anger--a situation where the fire burns and the worm lives. Forgiveness on the other hand leads to peace or life in the Kingdom.

The reason people found Jesus a charismatic speaker is that he spoke to the heart and every day situations people in which people found themselves. Would we rather be a slave (be it to sin or another person) or would we rather be free? Would we rather our spiritual/emotional lives in a fiery, wormy place or in a place centered in peace and love?

Matthew 25 addresses the concept of how we treat others reflects how we treat God; how we treat God is how we treat others. A rejection of humans is a rejection of God. I mentioned before that all people have a choice: To be with God for eternity, or to choose to be apart from God for eternity.

In my opinion Matthew's passage should provide some hope for non-believers. Some truly hold no belief in God no matter how hard they try. They can take a look at how they treat others. In a passage in Romans they can see where they will be judged by their own hearts. Often times our own hearts are a harsher judge of behavior than God.

Fine, but this needs to be balanced with Revelation 7:4. Remember, Revelation is apocalyptic literature, and it words are highly symbolic. It tells about the number of people sealed to God.

Twelve is the number of completeness, represented by the twelve tribes (Jacob and his sons). But notice what John does here. He squares the number, indicating all from all tribes are there. Twelve times twelve is 144. But John gives this number further emphasis and adds 'thousand', making it 144,000--not one of God's people is lost. All are sealed.

Books being open are also symbolic. One of these books is a recording of our life. In other words, we are writing our own destiny. The other book, the Book of Life calls to mind books (or registries) kings used to keep, recording the names of each subject. When a subject died, voluntarily left for good, or was banished, his name was erased. The Book of Life is the book of God's subjects. When we were born, our names were written down. However, if our loving/good spirits died, if we left God voluntarily for good, or we chose evil and hatred (which banishes us from love and goodness) our names vanish from the Book of Life.

Dajal cool it-----the book of Ezekiel is a manifestion of mushroom hallucinations written in the sick environment
of BABYLON-------Mathew and the "john" who wrote the book of revulsions reflect the filth of Roman "theology" and "culture" ---albeit written greek which at that time----in roman
"culture" greek was considered a fancy language. Mathew and John were both swept up in the stench of roman "culture" and violence when they did their writing. Ezekiel was in Babylon.
The environments were enough to confuse anyone. Daniel
was written in Babylon too. -----As for Ezra and Jeremiah----times were even tougher.

None of the books mentioned are manifestations of mushroom hallucinations. All are type of literature (apocalyptic literature) that features highly symbolic portrayals, metaphors, and allegorical language. They were written to encourage the people of faith in those times in a way that made complete sense to persecuted people of faith, but was total nonsense to their enemies.

Dajal cool it-----the book of Ezekiel is a manifestion of mushroom hallucinations written in the sick environment
of BABYLON-------Mathew and the "john" who wrote the book of revulsions reflect the filth of Roman "theology" and "culture" ---albeit written greek which at that time----in roman
"culture" greek was considered a fancy language. Mathew and John were both swept up in the stench of roman "culture" and violence when they did their writing. Ezekiel was in Babylon.
The environments were enough to confuse anyone. Daniel
was written in Babylon too. -----As for Ezra and Jeremiah----times were even tougher.

None of the books mentioned are manifestations of mushroom hallucinations. All are type of literature (apocalyptic literature) that features highly symbolic portrayals, metaphors, and allegorical language. They were written to encourage the people of faith in those times in a way that made complete sense to persecuted people of faith, but was total nonsense to their enemies.

true enough----highly metaphorical-----and understood only by
people familiar with the symbolic usages-----like jews----not romans. The book of Revelations is the one book in the NT
that was MOST LIKELY written by a jew FOR JEWs. Likely---however, a bit edited to the tastes of Constantine. Ezekiel----
same stuff------written in Babylon----using some of the imagery
common to that "culture"

Mark 9.43 And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched.

Mathew 25.41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

Try to understand that when Jesus was talking to doctors, lawyers, priests, rabbis and their followers, and telling them about the condemnation of hell and about their need to repent and rise to life, etc., he was telling them that they were already dead and already in hell even though they thought that they were living a blessed and holy life.....Their success, lofty positions, popularity and wealth, signs that they believed confirmed that they were favored by God.

The accusation coming from what looked like a froward foul mouthed pauper probably seemed absurd and offensive at the time, like he was trashing Mother Teresa or something, his predictions of the coming doom for failing to heed his warning, pure hubris.

My point is that what Jesus thought of as hell was what some other people thought of as the good life....

Hardly a place of fire and everlasting torment, unless you understand the metaphors........

If what Jesus meant by hell is what other people think of as 'the good life' then God probably isn't such a meanie after all.......

If hell is what some people would think of as the best time of their life then try and imagine what heaven must be like.........

Last edited:
Mark 9:43: I don't know which version of the Bible you are using but both Matthew and Mark say "Gehenna" not "Hell."

Its a case of, which version of the bible are you using? I am using the standard King James.

Regardless of the word used for translation it is a reference to the smouldering trash heap in a valley beyond the wall of the old city, the habitation of every foul and loathsome type of unclean beast and bird.

Last edited:
I am tired of reading all the bible thumping threads telling us the bible is the word of God, and we will burn in hell if we do not believe it. i

my my who's forcing you read our threads.
Isn't it amazing how they spend so much time and effort opposing something they say does not exist?

Simply tells you they know differently.

Fine, but this needs to be balanced with Revelation 7:4. Remember, Revelation is apocalyptic literature, and it words are highly symbolic. It tells about the number of people sealed to God.

Twelve is the number of completeness, represented by the twelve tribes (Jacob and his sons). But notice what John does here. He squares the number, indicating all from all tribes are there. Twelve times twelve is 144. But John gives this number further emphasis and adds 'thousand', making it 144,000--not one of God's people is lost. All are sealed.

Books being open are also symbolic. One of these books is a recording of our life. In other words, we are writing our own destiny. The other book, the Book of Life calls to mind books (or registries) kings used to keep, recording the names of each subject. When a subject died, voluntarily left for good, or was banished, his name was erased. The Book of Life is the book of God's subjects. When we were born, our names were written down. However, if our loving/good spirits died, if we left God voluntarily for good, or we chose evil and hatred (which banishes us from love and goodness) our names vanish from the Book of Life.
Hebrews and Revelation were both discredited by Eusebius at the Council of Nicaea in 325 AD.

You can read about it in his famous book "History Of The Church".

I am tired of reading all the bible thumping threads telling us the bible is the word of God, and we will burn in hell if we do not believe it. i

Isn't it amazing how they spend so much time and effort opposing something they say does not exist?

... opposing something they say does not exist?

opposing not what exists but those who read a book as the source for their encumbrance on society.

Its a case of, which version of the bible are you using? I am using the standard King James.
Versions. The original word was Gehenna, distinguishing it from other words (Hades, Sheol) also translated as hell.

Hebrews and Revelation were both discredited by Eusebius at the Council of Nicaea in 325 AD.

Not discredited, but not thought to be written by the Apostle. The Council debated using Revelation as Canon also because it can be so easily misinterpreted, misunderstood. Hebrews was not written by Paul, but is considered Canon nonetheless.

Yes those 144 got a seal on their forehead and were servants of God. Perhaps God is Caesar. Domitian liked to be called my Lord and my God.

opposing not what exists but those who read a book as the source for their encumbrance on society.

Everybody has a book as a source for their encumbrance on society. Some have the Bible, some Mein Kampf, some have the Communist manifesto, some the Koran, some Bhagavad Gita, some the writings of Buddha.

If you think murder, adultry, cheating other people is good, that Bible based society allows you the liberty to change things.

I can read about it in the Communist Manifesto too.

Everybody has a book as a source for their encumbrance on society. Some have the Bible, some Mein Kampf, some have the Communist manifesto, some the Koran, some Bhagavad Gita, some the writings of Buddha.

If you think murder, adultry, cheating other people is good, that Bible based society allows you the liberty to change things.

that makes no sense at all and you left out Garden Earth as the reflection of what does exist as opposed to what has been the historical manifestation of senseless brutality from the scriptural based biblical societies.

that makes no sense at all and you left out Garden Earth as the reflection of what does exist as opposed to what has been the historical manifestation of senseless brutality from the scriptural based biblical societies.

Number of people murdered in Inquisition: 600. Done by Jew haters too lazy to go and fight the Muslims who invaded Israel.
Number of people murdered by their own governments to stamp out religion in the past century:165 million.
Number of people murdered this year in the name of Mohammed just last year: about 30,000-50,000.

In the meantime Christianity is responsible for ending slavery, allowing worship of an individual's choice, and Liberty.

Last edited:
In the meantime Christianity is responsible for ending slavery, allowing worship of an individual's choice, and Liberty.

Yes, and much much more. It was a great paradigm shift in human progress for the better when it kicked off, and it isn't done yet, either; it's expanding in Asia faster than it's dying out and getting killed off in Affluenza Land by the assorted mobs of dumbass uneducated 'rationalist' deviants, degenerates, and sociopaths who want to destroy anything that stands in the way of personal mindless self-indulgent nihilism.

Forum List

Back