Betsy Devos frankly discusses education with a person having a masters degree in education

Sure, you're an educational expert. LOLLOLL

Do they teach 'the trades' in most public schools?

You know, subjects like:

Welding
Cooking
Banking or Personal Finance
Engine Repair

What do you say BS'er.
They do around here. All of the above, along with brick laying and automotive repair. Matter of fact, the brick laying class has produced world champions.

Sure, you're an educational expert. LOLLOLL

Do they teach 'the trades' in most public schools?

You know, subjects like:

Welding
Cooking
Banking or Personal Finance
Engine Repair

What do you say BS'er.
A lot of schools do.

Shop class isn't trade school, dum dum.
In many towns, (very) large schools house both vocational and more academic-track programs. Students can and do move between both. In some urban districts, a separate building teaches trades for students from several schools in the area. There are often long waiting lists for students to transfer into these voc schools.

Shop class isn't trade school, dum dum.
Weird, cuz many builders, welders, engine repair are taught in classes called vocational or shop classes. CTE. Ever heard of it?

You don't have to put down everything that comes from outside your bubble.
I was talking to a student the other day about his transcript, and he said he took a vocational class where they were taught how to use, maintain and repair chainsaws. Imagine that.

Weird, cuz many builders, welders, engine repair are taught in classes called vocational or shop classes. CTE. Ever heard of it?

I was talking to a student the other day about his transcript, and he said he took a vocational class where they were taught how to use, maintain and repair chainsaws. Imagine that.
I took small engine repair in high school. I did great at taking a lawnmower engine completely apart.

Not so great at putting it back together.

The teacher was one of the assistant football coaches, so it all worked out.

I'm not putting it down. Stating a fact. Shop class is great, but it isn't trade or tech school. Let it go. You'll look smarter.

I learned how to weld in shop class in H.S. Built myself a mini dirt bike in my parents' garage out of an old bike and a Briggs and Stratton 3 hp.

I'm not putting it down. Stating a fact. Shop class is great, but it isn't trade or tech school. Let it go. You'll look smarter.
Many students leave HS with the necessary acquired skills to step straight into the work force and apply the trade(s) they learned at school and at home.
You can claim they don't (because they didn't go to an 'after HS trade school') but facts are facts dude.

You can ONLY win this discussing by claiming and proving that no students learn the trade and are ready to work upon leaving HS.
You ready to make this ^^^^^ claim.

Some continue by going to 'after HS Trade School' or the Military and refine that trade.

Many students leave HS with the necessary acquired skills to step straight into the work force and apply the trade(s) they learned at school and at home.
You can claim they don't (because they didn't go to an 'after HS trade school') but facts are facts dude.

You can ONLY win this discussing by claiming and proving that no students learn the trade and are ready to work upon leaving HS.
You ready to make this ^^^^^ claim.

Some continue by going to 'after HS Trade School' or the Military and refine that trade.
You don't learn a trade in shop class. You don't learn a trade in trade schools either. Trade schools prepare you for an apprenticeship.

You don't learn a trade in shop class. You don't learn a trade in trade schools either. Trade schools prepare you for an apprenticeship.
You lose dude.

SO, are you trying to say that HS, w/out what you think is a trade school, doesn't or can't prepare a student to go straight into work or straight into an 'apprenticeship'?

Correct, trades want young people who already have a propensity for their particular trade and would most likely more favorably consider an apprenticeship for such a person.

You lose dude.

SO, are you trying to say that HS, w/out what you think is a trade school, doesn't or can't prepare a student to go straight into work or straight into an 'apprenticeship'?
He's saying the opposite, Winnie.

He's saying the opposite, Winnie.
Well, it's difficult to say what he is actually saying. BS Filter
He's pretty unstable.

IMO,

1). He's saying that HS is not trade school. Technically that's true, and I agree.
2). He's also saying that, w/out trade school, a HS CTE curriculum can't prepare a student to go straight from HS to having an immediate 'trade school' type of job.

Well, it's difficult to say what he is actually saying. BS Filter
He's pretty unstable.

IMO,

1). He's saying that HS is not trade school. Technically that's true, and I agree.
2). He's also saying that, w/out trade school, a HS CTE curriculum can't prepare a student to go straight from HS to having an immediate 'trade school' type of job.
BS Filter's post #75 "Trade schools prepare you for an apprenticeship."

Forum List

Back