Best Fiction Book Youve Ever Read

The Stand -- Stephen King
To Kill A Mockingbird -- Harper Lee
Atlas Shrugged -- Ayn Rand
The Red Tent -- Anita Diament
Lord of the Rings -- JRR Tolkien
The Once and Future King -- EB White

I love The Red Tent.

If you haven't read it, you'd probably enjoy The Moon Under Her Feet.

For anyone that liked The Stand.....you GOTTA read Swan Song by Robert McCammon. Gotta. Its better, in my opinion.

Robert McCammon has a great short story book called Blue World that is rather gnarly.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Blue-World-Robert-McCammon/dp/0671695185]Amazon.com: Blue World (9780671695187): Robert McCammon: Books[/ame]

Stinger is cool too. But he wrote it a long time ago.Then s. king came out with The Dome. Very similar. Which made me wonder who thought of it first. Im betting McCammon.

The Books Of Rachel. Cant think of the authors name. Awesome read. Ill see if I can find a link.

I love The Red Tent.

I just googled it. That looks like a really interesting book. Thanks for the recommendation. Will check it out :thup:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Books-Rachel-Joel-Gross/dp/0595128203]Amazon.com: The Books of Rachel (9780595128204): Joel Gross: Books[/ame]

Joel Gross

From finding the diamond and making it for the first Rachel..who was tortured at the Spanish Inquisition, to the many Rachels it went to afterwards..finally to the end Rachel in 1979. Great history story.

Last edited:
A few more:

The Tale of Murasaki by Liza Dalby (quite an interesting lady, a friend of a friend - she is the first western woman to train as a geisha.

The Fifth Sacred Thing by Starhawk (a friend of my former massage therapist and quite a trip)

In the Company of the Courtesan by Sarah Dunant

The Boudicca Series (natch) by M.C. Scott

A Wrinkle In Time by Madeleine L'Engle

I love The Red Tent.

I just googled it. That looks like a really interesting book. Thanks for the recommendation. Will check it out :thup:

It's a lovely book.

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, by Lisa See, is my favorite of all. I offer a review from Amazon.com that duplicates my feelings for this novel and saves me the trouble of typing it all. :)

"Lisa See's Snow Flower and the Secret Fan is an engrossing and fascinating story of women's friendships in nineteenth century rural China. This is an excellent, well-written novel--fascinating on so many levels. Lily, the narrator of the novel is in her eighties, looking back on her life. She shares the stories of her foot binding, nu shu, the secret women's writing, and the various formally women's friendships that society enforced. Lily's sister participated in a sworn sisterhood, where a group of young women formed a friendship that was to last until marriage, but Lily is paired with one girl, Snow Flower, her laotong or "old same." Lily and Snow Flower have a love that is stronger than all of her other relationships--and it causes them both more heartbreak. The novel is really the story of their friendship, its depths, its deceits, its strengths--and it is a fascinating read about a society so different from our own. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan reminds me in many ways of The Red Tent in that it explores female friendship in a setting much different than any contemporary one. A fascinating read."

The War Against the Chtorr series by David Gerrold. There are 4 books written out of 7 planned.
c1-300.jpg
c2-300.jpg
c3-300.jpg
c4-300.jpg

Terrible plagues have devastated the Earth. The first wave of the infestation has arrived, wiping out billions. The desperate survivors discover that terrible strange creatures are now hatching, growing, and breeding. The crimson-colored ecology creeps relentlessly across the unprotected countryside.

Young James Edward McCarthy, barely out of high school, is drafted into the Special Forces Warrant Agency, an elite group whose sole mission is to target and destroy the most voracious of all the Chtorran creatures -- the gigantic carnivorous worms.

McCarthy will quickly discover that the horror of the Chtorr is surpassed only by the horrors of what human beings must become to fight the invasion.

Impossible to put down.

Book 5: A Lot of Alliteration.

Stand alone was; Of mice and men

series was; The Dark company. A series in which there were no good guys, just people that were not as bad as the other people.

Do you mean The Black company? if so, good call. If not, my bad.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Black-Company-Chronicles/dp/0812521390]Amazon.com: The Black Company (Chronicles of The Black Company #1) (9780812521399): Glen Cook: Books[/ame]

I'm so lame.

It is "The Black Company". Don't know why I said Dark.

I also loved "Thieves World". Great read for a teenage DnD nerd.

Neuromancer - William Gibson
Cathedral- Nelson DeMille
Word of Honor- Nelson DeMille
Jack Reacher Novels- Lee Child
Dune- naturally...;)
Congo- Michael Cricthon
The Fool's Run- John Sanford

I'd agree with all those, and add:

Anything by Tom Clancy
Anything by Vince Flynn

I met Tom Clancy on my sub. We had him on for a ride along.

Yall know this thread is bookmarked, dontcha? I plan to do some major hunting for a few of them and will be back many times for references.

When I read fiction, I look for a strong and interestng story line that pulls me in and lets me lose myself in it for awhile. I choose my movies based on the same criteria.

Some favorite fiction over the years:

Anything written by Michener, but the book of his I enjoyed the most was Hawaii.

Anything written by Taylor Caldwell with my favorite being Captains and Kings

Anything written by Tony Hillerman mostly because he writes of history I have personally studied and he was my managing editor when I worked for the Santa Fe New Mexican. :)

Anything written by Arthur Hailey with my favorite of his books being a toss up between Airport and Hotel. He spun a great yarn with just enough 'education' built into it to make you feel like you weren't totally wasting your time and he did character development as well as anybody I've read.

Christy by Catherine Marshall.

Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susann.

And Roots by Alex Haley was an amazing page turner and still among my favorite books in the fiction category.

There are probably others, but it's late and I'm thinking more about bed than books tonight.

Stand alone was; Of mice and men

series was; The Dark company. A series in which there were no good guys, just people that were not as bad as the other people.

Do you mean The Black company? if so, good call. If not, my bad.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Black-Company-Chronicles/dp/0812521390]Amazon.com: The Black Company (Chronicles of The Black Company #1) (9780812521399): Glen Cook: Books[/ame]

I'm so lame.

It is "The Black Company". Don't know why I said Dark.

I also loved "Thieves World". Great read for a teenage DnD nerd.

I know what you mean, I was one of those too. Did you ever read Jack Vance's Dying Earth?

I don't have that one but read it. I do have the Seagull book and read some of his children's books. Very cool. :thup:

Jonathan Livingston Seagull is a great book. Illusions took it a step further. I'm not sure what I think of Richard Bach. It is said that he divorced his first wife because he didn't believe in marriage. WTH? They had 6 kids. One of his sons wrote a book about growing up without knowing his father. So what kind of man abandons his family? Anyway, he's a great writer even though he may not be "all there." Maybe that's one reason he's a great writer.

Jonathan Livingston Seagull is a great book. Illusions took it a step further. I'm not sure what I think of Richard Bach. It is said that he divorced his first wife because he didn't believe in marriage. WTH? They had 6 kids. One of his sons wrote a book about growing up without knowing his father. So what kind of man abandons his family? Anyway, he's a great writer even though he may not be "all there." Maybe that's one reason he's a great writer.

Hmmmm ... didn't know all that. Interesting.

I suppose we can like his work without necessarily agreeing with his personal life, right?

For anyone that liked The Stand.....you GOTTA read Swan Song by Robert McCammon. Gotta. Its better, in my opinion.

I'm going to have to disagree. Swan Song was good, but can't quite touch the originally published edition of The Stand. I did love alot of your other choices tho.

Forum List

Back