Best Fiction Book Youve Ever Read

Bently Little, was the roommate, of the creator of sponge Bob square pants. His top three books were: Horror genre. He is a Brahm Stroker award winner.
1) The Association - about home associations
2) The Store - about a walmart like store that takes over a small town
3) The Policy - about insurance companies

Piers Anthony, only read one series by him. It was a science / magic mixed world. The Incarnations of immortality
1) On a Pale Horse
2) Being a green mother
3) With a tangled Skein
4) Bearing an hourglass
5) Weilding a red sword

Briane Keene, great horror author, has alot of great books but his stand out two were
1) The Rising
2) City of the dead

Other authors to check out would be:
1) Richard Laymon (horror)
2) Margarret Weise & Tracy Hickman (Fantasy - Dragonlance)
3) F. Paul Wilson (suspense/ thriller) (Repairman Jack stories)
4) Clive Barker (horror / fantasy) *didn't care for his fantasy novels
5) Michael Slade (death's door)
6) Gary Braunbeck (horror)

Try any of these books. For Vampire lovers I would suggest a book named "Agyar", but I can't remember the author.

Ack..sorry Hunter S. Thompson..will make the correction.

Still morning. Haven't had coffee yet.

we iz gonna let you live then.....

did you know he would shoot his rifle at john denver when denver would sing on his porch.....how could you not love the man?

I loved his appearances on Letterman..
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfoLKB0VZqg]YouTube - Hunter S. Thompson on Letterman, 11/25/88[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEoKHi6fSsw&feature=related]YouTube - the village people called... AND THEY WANT YOU TO GO F****NG KILL[/ame]

Bently Little, was the roommate, of the creator of sponge Bob square pants. His top three books were: Horror genre. He is a Brahm Stroker award winner.

Piers Anthony, only read one series by him. It was a science / magic mixed world. The Incarnations of immortality
1) On a Pale Horse
2) Being a green mother
3) With a tangled Skein
4) Bearing an hourglass
5) Weilding a red sword

Briane Keene, great horror author, has alot of great books but his stand out two were
1) The Rising
2) City of the dead

Try any of these books. For Vampire lovers I would suggest a book named "Agyar", but I can't remember the author.

Have you read the Star of the Guardians series by Weis and Hickman? total star wars rip off. I mean, it's like a bollywood rendition of an American movie.

Catch-22.

Without doubt the book that I wish I could have written.

It deals with the horror of mankind, the horror of the different types of personalities that we encounter too, and still, when it isn't entirely painful to read, it's hilarious.

Much like life, I note.

Life is mostly teduim, punctuated with horror, blessed (if you're lucky) with love, which means that IF you're lucky enough to have something to lose, your happiness is ephemeral.

And if you're really lucky, you'll realize that if you didn't have something to love, something that wasn't permanent -- hence the horror of being -- you'll be blessed with a sense of humor to help you get past that fact that you and everything you love will, sooner or later, turn to dust.

Last edited:
A Prayer for Owen Meany is a novel by American writer John Irving, first published in 1989. It tells the story of John Wheelwright and his best friend Owen Meany growing up together in a small New England town during the 1950-60s. Owen is a remarkable boy in many ways; he believes himself to be God's instrument and journeys on a truly extraordinary path.
The novel is also a homage to Günther Grass' most famous novel The Tin Drum. Grass was a great influence for John Irving, as well as a close friend.

The main characters of both novels, Owen Meany and Oskar Matzerath, share the same initials as well as some other characteristics, and the stories show some parallels too.[1] Irving confirmed this explicitly in interviews and articles.[2] "A Prayer for Owen Meany", however, is a completely independent story and in no sense a copy of "The Tin Drum".

we iz gonna let you live then.....

did you know he would shoot his rifle at john denver when denver would sing on his porch.....how could you not love the man?

I loved his appearances on Letterman..
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfoLKB0VZqg]YouTube - Hunter S. Thompson on Letterman, 11/25/88[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEoKHi6fSsw&feature=related]YouTube - the village people called... AND THEY WANT YOU TO GO F****NG KILL[/ame]

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Oh man..that was good!

1) On a Pale Horse
2) Being a green mother
3) With a tangled Skein
4) Bearing an hourglass
5) Weilding a red sword

1) The Rising
2) City of the dead

Have you read the Star of the Guardians series by Weis and Hickman? total star wars rip off. I mean, it's like a bollywood rendition of an American movie.

Nope, haven't read it. Thanks for the heads up. I enjoyed the Majere family, especially Raistlin.

1) On a Pale Horse
2) Being a green mother
3) With a tangled Skein
4) Bearing an hourglass
5) Weilding a red sword

1) The Rising
2) City of the dead

Nope, haven't read it. Thanks for the heads up. I enjoyed the Majere family, especially Raistlin.

yea... I Raistlin was the first Drizzt in regards to widely popular characters. I was a fan as well. However, I absolutely hated how Summer Flame finished. I like to forget that it was written.

Probably the best Weis and Hickman books, however, is the Deathgate Cycle. If you've not read it then treat yourself. 7 books, watch out for a crossover character from the chronicles.

By far my favorite would be:

This Present Darkness by Frank Peretti

Others I enjoyed

The first nine books of the Left Behind Series
The Harry Potter series
The Kent Family Chronicles
North and South/ Love and War/ Heaven and Hell
The Caine Mutiny

I'm sure there are going to be others that I will think of after I post this... stay tuned.

Immie

yea... I Raistlin was the first Drizzt in regards to widely popular characters. I was a fan as well. However, I absolutely hated how Summer Flame finished. I like to forget that it was written.

Probably the best Weis and Hickman books, however, is the Deathgate Cycle. If you've not read it then treat yourself. 7 books, watch out for a crossover character from the chronicles.

Sounds great, I like the cross over stuff, It's now on the list. Now that my library is connected I can order books through them from any other library in the state. If it's in any of the libraries I can get it.

"Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" - Phillip K. Dick (Blade Runner movie loosely based on it)
"The Frankenstein Papers" - Fred Saberhagen (SHOULD be made into a movie.)
"The Final Reflection" - John M. Ford (Yes, it's a pocket Star Trek novel. Read it.)
"Watership Down" and "The Plague Dogs" - Richard Adams

Among countless others.

When I was at middle school (as you call it in America), I was never far from an Asterix or Tintin book. Such fun.

When I was in my teens I liked books by Wlbur Smith. His vivid descriptions of Africa were great to read.

In my 20s, I remember enjoying all the novels (well, most of them) by Jeffrey Archer.

In my 30s I started to enjoy works by authors whose original language was not English. Of these, Bonjour Tristesse by Francoise Sagan remains my favorite.

Now in my 40s, my reading is very eclectic. I thoroughly enjoyed the Da Vinci Code, was mesmerised by The Remains of the Day (it still astonishes me that it was written by a man whose first language was not English) and am currently re-reading Hemingway's short stories, which I'm enjoying far, far more than when I was forced to read them at school.

I also started reading one of my Dad's favorite authors, C.S. Forester, a few years ago. Got through all the Hornblower series in about 6 months and enjoyed them so much that I now own most of them as first editions.

Last edited:
The Stand

The Bridges of Madison County

In Cold Blood

Sacajawea

Tess of Durbervilles

On The Beach

The Yearling

Others I enjoyed

The Harry Potter series
The Caine Mutiny

I'm sure there are going to be others that I will think of after I post this... stay tuned.

Immie

For a religious based writer Peretti is pretty good. the stephen king of the bible store, if you will. The Visitation was good too. This Present Darkness and Piercing the Darkness is probably is greatest though. The Oath kinda sucked.

Others I enjoyed

The Harry Potter series
The Caine Mutiny

Immie

For a religious based writer Peretti is pretty good. the stephen king of the bible store, if you will. The Visitation was good too. This Present Darkness and Piercing the Darkness is probably is greatest though. The Oath kinda sucked.

I agree on The Visitation. I enjoyed The Oath to some degree. There was another one that I thought was pretty boring. I think it was called The Prophet, but am not sure on the title. And I definitely should have added Piercing the Darkness as one of my favorites.

Also, thanks to Tigerbob for reminding me about The DaVinci Code and then add to that Angels and Demons. I have not yet read his next one.

Immie

Neuromancer - William Gibson
Cathedral- Nelson DeMille
Word of Honor- Nelson DeMille
Jack Reacher Novels- Lee Child
Dune- naturally...;)
Congo- Michael Cricthon
The Fool's Run- John Sanford

Others I enjoyed

The Harry Potter series
The Caine Mutiny

Immie

I agree on The Visitation. I enjoyed The Oath to some degree. There was another one that I thought was pretty boring. I think it was called The Prophet, but am not sure on the title. And I definitely should have added Piercing the Darkness as one of my favorites.

Also, thanks to Tigerbob for reminding me about The DaVinci Code and then add to that Angels and Demons. I have not yet read his next one.

Immie

Did the Visitation get made into a movie? For some reason I keep thinking that it did.

I'd like to see the two Darkness books made into movies.

Forum List

Back