Best browser for Win7

MeBelle

MeBelle 4 Prez 2024
Jul 16, 2011
So I got a new desktop with Win7.
IE seems to freeze/crash on me.
I had a teck guy here a few days ago and he said that Google Chrome works best with Win7.
What say you???
And Pros and cons for each pls.

TYIA! ;)

1) Update your system fully including Internet Explorer

2) Remove all "Toolbars".. they are useless and can cause massive problems. Google, Bing, Yahoo and others are the more known, but there are a ton installed by "free programs" that many like to install.

3) Uninstall iTunes. Can cause problems for a windows PC, especially with all the extra crap it installs.. like safari.

4) Run antivirus program you have.

5) Download and run Malwarebytes from Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware, anti-virus and spyware removal download.

6) Try Internet Explorer again.

If it still crashes and does not work, then we have to get more technical since it is most likely some stupid add-on some stupid program or website has conned you into accepting.

Else Google Chrome is a very good alternative. Only issue is that banks and such places demand you use Internet Explorer to access accounts and such over net banking. Now there is an IE plugin for Chrome that works great, but it means you have to figure out all the stuff about add-ons for Chrome :) Some allow Firefox but that is getting fewer as well.

Stay clear of Safari... it is toxic, broken and unsafe.

Install Linux. Actually, you can download a CD and reboot with it in the tray to play around with it without making any changes to your machine.
One of the easiest distributions of Linux is Kubuntu.
Try it. By the way, it's FREE. so are 99% of all applications

I had a teck guy here a few days ago and he said that Google Chrome works best with Win7.
What say you???

TYIA! ;)

Chrome is not built to run on Windows 7. Find a browser you like and use it, don't listen to people who try to sell you on best for an OS. I recommend Chrome to my non tech frineds and use Waterfox myself, it is Firefox optimized for 64bit systems.

Waterfox | Home | The fastest 64-Bit variant of Firefox!

If all you do is browse the net, watch videos, use email...simple documents etc. etc.
Dump Windows and go with Linux. Surely there is a techie relative or friend you know?
Once setup...you won't look at Windows again....hows about a 7 to 10 second bootup? Power down in 3-4 seconds? No need for virus protection that bogs your system down...you'll be happier.

I tried to get into Linux.. Ubuntu specifically. Was unable. In the end I couldn't justify the learning curve for something so sparsely supported.

Never had much luck with WINE either. Had my WINE experience gone better I might have delved deeper.

Oh... And I do recommend Chrome.

I tried to get into Linux.. Ubuntu specifically. Was unable. In the end I couldn't justify the learning curve for something so sparsely supported.

Never had much luck with WINE either. Had my WINE experience gone better I might have delved deeper.

Depends on what you use your computer for.
Linux is a terrible platform to run Windows programs for the most part...anytime someone thinks that is what they want - a "free Windows" - is always going to be disappointed. Same goes the other way around - Windows can't run a single Linux app...not one.
What Linux is - is a stand alone operating system that is vastly more secure, pain free and faster than Windows. Bar none. And it is free.
It operates on a LOT less memory, in fact Linux can run faster than Windows with 1/4th the RAM.
My 73 year old father and 70 year old Mother has been using Ubuntu for at least 3-4 years now - they love it.
I have nothing but Linux in my home and I do anything I want. I don't play PC games - but I do a LOT of other things...faster, cheaper and 50 times more secure than Windows.

Linux is a terrible platform to run Windows programs for the most part...anytime someone thinks that is what they want - a "free Windows" - is always going to be disappointed. Same goes the other way around - Windows can't run a single Linux app...not one.
What Linux is - is a stand alone operating system that is vastly more secure, pain free and faster than Windows. Bar none. And it is free.
It operates on a LOT less memory, in fact Linux can run faster than Windows with 1/4th the RAM.
My 73 year old father and 70 year old Mother has been using Ubuntu for at least 3-4 years now - they love it.
I have nothing but Linux in my home and I do anything I want. I don't play PC games - but I do a LOT of other things...faster, cheaper and 50 times more secure than Windows.

Another big road block was that I couldn't find decent accounting software.

It was a fine system, and I enjoyed poking around with it, but in the end it wasn't able to do anything I couldn't do on Win, whereas Win is able to do a lot that I was unable to do on Ubuntu.

I still have it as a dual boot on my laptop at home and once in awhile I play around with it, I particularly enjoy using the terminal, but since my most heavily used programs are Outlook, Quickbooks, Microsoft Streets and Trips, and Adobe Acrobat X, I don't see it becoming my new first fiddle.

It was a fine system, and I enjoyed poking around with it, but in the end it wasn't able to do anything I couldn't do on Win, whereas Win is able to do a lot that I was unable to do on Ubuntu.

I still have it as a dual boot on my laptop at home and once in awhile I play around with it, I particularly enjoy using the terminal, but since my most heavily used programs are Outlook, Quickbooks, Microsoft Streets and Trips, and Adobe Acrobat X, I don't see it becoming my new first fiddle.

Not to be petty - but it isn't Windows that is able to do these things. it is software that people write to run on the Win platform. Anytime anyone wants to see the full capacity of Linux - just watch any CGI movie...they are all Linux due to it's speed and ability to perform the same task on a 3rd of the memory - if Linux can render a movie like Avatar...it can handle accounting software. :tongue:
Outlook?...ugh...there are sooo many better choices than Outlook. Outlook can't even do a "search within a search"...pheh. I get 100's emails a day - Outlook would be impossible for me - too limited in it's abilities.
Acrobat...there are programs easily as good as Acrobat on Linux...you just read/write/edit PDF's?

Not to be petty - but it isn't Windows that is able to do these things. it is software that people write to run on the Win platform.
I know, but it doesn't change the reality of the situation. :)
iamwhatiseem said:
Anytime anyone wants to see the full capacity of Linux - just watch any CGI movie...they are all Linux due to it's speed and ability to perform the same task on a 3rd of the memory - if Linux can render a movie like Avatar...it can handle accounting software. :tongue:
Outlook?...ugh...there are sooo many better choices than Outlook. Outlook can't even do a "search within a search"...pheh. I get 100's emails a day - Outlook would be impossible for me - too limited in it's abilities.
Acrobat...there are programs easily as good as Acrobat on Linux...you just read/write/edit PDF's?

No, we compile pricelists into PDF from Word, Excel, and other PDF's... Is there a Linux program that can do this?

And what do you recommend for accounting and in lieu of Outlook? Hell, I'm always down for something different. I can't picture getting off Quickbooks, I've been mastering it for 6 years... I don't see me starting over with a new one then transferring data transaction by transaction... The thought makes my skin crawl. But if I can get it humming with WINE (haven't tried) we might be in business, if you can address my other concerns.

Last edited:
What say you???

TYIA! ;)

http://www.usmessageboard.com/computers/167107-internet-browsers.html

My recommendations are Firefox, Comodo Dragon, CometBird or Chrome, not necessarily in that order.
CometBird looks like the old Firefox (is based on Firefox) but much faster, Comodo Dragon is based on Chromium (same as Google Chome) but is much more secure and does not track you.
Load all of them, give each one a try and uninstall the ones you decide you don't like or keep them as a back up.

Just a word of caution, when installing anything, pay attention to what the installation program is "asking" you to install during the process, don't just blindly click yes. Some installations come with additional software that you definitely don't want like Ashampoo and Ask. If this, or anything similar, shows up during the install UNCHECK the boxes, believe me, you don't want the headache of getting rid of that crap.

Last edited:
What say you???

TYIA! ;)

http://www.usmessageboard.com/computers/167107-internet-browsers.html

My recommendations are Firefox, Comodo Dragon, CometBird or Chrome, not necessarily in that order.
CometBird looks like the old Firefox (is based on Firefox) but much faster, Comodo Dragon is based on Chromium (same as Google Chome) but is much more secure and does not track you.
Load all of them, give each one a try and uninstall the ones you decide you don't like or keep them as a back up.

I use Firefox as my main browser, Chrome when something doesn't work on Firefox.
I am afraid I am addicted to the add ons I have been using for years.

Buy an Apple.

Just to be a smartass...you realize there is no computer called "apple".
Never was.

brand (brænd)

— n

a particular product or a characteristic that serves to identify a particular product

a trade name or trademark

a particular kind or variety: he had his own brand of humour

an identifying mark made, usually by burning, on the skin of animals or (formerly) slaves or criminals, esp as a proof of ownership

an iron heated and used for branding animals, etc

Install Linux. Actually, you can download a CD and reboot with it in the tray to play around with it without making any changes to your machine.
One of the easiest distributions of Linux is Kubuntu.
Try it. By the way, it's FREE. so are 99% of all applications

One of the drone-like liberal trolls here at UMB actually suggested a different Linux system -- ubuntu.

It was a little bit of a pain to download and properly install, but I finally did it correctly and I can now use it as a SEPARATE OS on this computer of mine. It takes some getting used-to. I still mostly use Windows 7, for the time being. But I am seeing serious upsides to the Linux system.

As I learn the ropes, I have to admit, I have come to the conclusion that even a drone-like liberal Board troll can offer an intelligent and useful bit of advice ONCE in a lifetime.

Here's a link: Download | Ubuntu

Forum List

Back