Best browser for Win7

Sorry for rambling. MeBelle, use Chrome or IE 9. Stick with Windows 7. Use Microsoft Security Essentials, this provides protection from malware and viruses, is free and integrate with the Windows defender system built into Windows.

Microsoft Security Essentials - Free Antivirus for Windows

ONLY use Microsoft Security Essentials if you run a full scan often. For some reason lately, MSE has gotten poor marks in prevention tests.. finding and dealing with malware and virus it is still very good, but actually preventing them coming onto the machine in the first place is its problem.

AV-TEST - The Independent IT-Security Institute: Jan/Feb 2012

2.5 out of 6 on protection aint good..

Bitdefender and Kaspersky are at the moment the best products out there. I personally use Kaspersky. Both are for pay though.

Free antivirus it is Avast, AVG, Avira that are the best atm, with Avast slightly ahead.. but they are still behind Kaspersky and Bitdefender on prevention... especially on the newer more deadly malware/virus/phishing scams.... Zeus for example (THANKS DOD!)

On my primary computer I have run both Windows and Linux operating systems, both run and load at around the same speed though Linux installs 10 times faster than Windows (installs, not loads).

Funny, cause Windows 7 installs way faster than Linux Mint or Ubuntu on my machine.. oh well. :badgrin:

On my primary computer I have run both Windows and Linux operating systems, both run and load at around the same speed though Linux installs 10 times faster than Windows (installs, not loads).

Funny, cause Windows 7 installs way faster than Linux Mint or Ubuntu on my machine.. oh well. :badgrin:

I've found on the older machines they load in about the same amount of time and boot up in about the same amount of time. However the lighter distros load and boot much faster but there I agree, the end user should have some extra knowledge to make certain things work.
:dunno:

Last edited:
It's good for noobz because the software center is super simple. It's good for guys like us because it's a base install and we can do whatever we want to build it, yet faster and more simple than starting with a pure Debian base. I'm liking it a lot.

So I got a new desktop with Win7.
IE seems to freeze/crash on me.
I had a teck guy here a few days ago and he said that Google Chrome works best with Win7.
What say you???
And Pros and cons for each pls.

TYIA! ;)

I like Firefox best for play.

It's good for noobz because the software center is super simple. It's good for guys like us because it's a base install and we can do whatever we want to build it, yet faster and more simple than starting with a pure Debian base. I'm liking it a lot.

I downloaded and installed it this morning on my test machine. I'm liking it, a lot!!
much faster install than Ubuntu, Mint, openSUSE, etc. but with such a lightweight distro that's to be expected. Finally a distro that I can get Midoi to work on properly not to mention running apps is fast, it would be interesting to see how fast it would be on a newer machine.

Windows takes around 8 minutes to install, Ubuntu about the same. So...

Dude, I set up about 20 machines a week. Windows 7 takes about 8 minutes to do an image restore with Acronis.

A fresh install will take a good hour to get a working system up with.

LOL an hour? What are you installing it from? USB stick or DVD?

Define a "working system".

When one includes the initial updates with the install (I do, it's part of the install process) then yes, it can take up to an hour or more.

Sorry for rambling. MeBelle, use Chrome or IE 9. Stick with Windows 7. Use Microsoft Security Essentials, this provides protection from malware and viruses, is free and integrate with the Windows defender system built into Windows.

Microsoft Security Essentials - Free Antivirus for Windows

ONLY use Microsoft Security Essentials if you run a full scan often. For some reason lately, MSE has gotten poor marks in prevention tests.. finding and dealing with malware and virus it is still very good, but actually preventing them coming onto the machine in the first place is its problem.

AV-TEST - The Independent IT-Security Institute: Jan/Feb 2012

2.5 out of 6 on protection aint good..

Bitdefender and Kaspersky are at the moment the best products out there. I personally use Kaspersky. Both are for pay though.

Free antivirus it is Avast, AVG, Avira that are the best atm, with Avast slightly ahead.. but they are still behind Kaspersky and Bitdefender on prevention... especially on the newer more deadly malware/virus/phishing scams.... Zeus for example (THANKS DOD!)

Avast has some serious issues on Windows 7 x64. My boot went from less than 3 minutes to almost 10.

Dude, I set up about 20 machines a week. Windows 7 takes about 8 minutes to do an image restore with Acronis.

A fresh install will take a good hour to get a working system up with.

LOL an hour? What are you installing it from? USB stick or DVD?

Define a "working system".

When one includes the initial updates with the install (I do, it's part of the install process) then yes, it can take up to an hour or more.

Well yea, if you install windows xp first gen, then it will take days to update.

If you install windows 7 with SP1 then the updates only take the amount of time it takes to download, hence depends on your internet.

Also most linux distros have a buttload of patches as well. Last time I installed Linux Mint, it had 200+mb of patches and what not.. that also took time.

When I say "Install", I mean from the time you put in your DVD/USB stick, to when you have a functioning OS on the machine. Now that does not include patching of course, since base install is (like with Linux) fully functional. And this takes under 10 min with Windows 7 and Linux alike.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back