Best browser for Win7

MeBelle, if you're the average computer user then none of the above applies to you. My guess is you use a standard mouse and keyboard and don't sync your smart phone to your computer. I have never had an issue with Ubuntu or Mint finding and loading all my peripherals (mouse, keyboard, printer, etc) and loading them 100 times faster than Windows. On my primary computer I have run both Windows and Linux operating systems, both run and load at around the same speed though Linux installs 10 times faster than Windows (installs, not loads).
All of this is moot because you're probably not interested in Linux but I figured it would be nice to hear from someone who uses both Windows and Linux, likes them both for their individual attributes and doesn't have a pro or anti agenda favoring or deriding either one.

TY!
I have no clue about Linux but I have heard great things about it.
Can a pc have two OS?

In the meantime, this is what I've done:
I use Comodo for pretty much everything but for one website I go to. I believe the website has the issues and not the browsers. It's a children's website which my youngest uses and I know it's safe. Most times the only way I can access the website is by using IE ( I think it is IE8, too lazy to look) Would using IE 64 bit be better?
I use Google as a last resort.
I haven't partitioned my hardrive yet, nor made a backup :D.....
What is Ubunto?
Some of the stuff my pc came pre-loaded with, I am just too skeered to even look at!

MeBelle, if you're the average computer user then none of the above applies to you. My guess is you use a standard mouse and keyboard and don't sync your smart phone to your computer. I have never had an issue with Ubuntu or Mint finding and loading all my peripherals (mouse, keyboard, printer, etc) and loading them 100 times faster than Windows. On my primary computer I have run both Windows and Linux operating systems, both run and load at around the same speed though Linux installs 10 times faster than Windows (installs, not loads).
All of this is moot because you're probably not interested in Linux but I figured it would be nice to hear from someone who uses both Windows and Linux, likes them both for their individual attributes and doesn't have a pro or anti agenda favoring or deriding either one.

TY!
Can a pc have two OS?

I use Comodo for pretty much everything but for one website I go to. I believe the website has the issues and not the browsers. It's a children's website which my youngest uses and I know it's safe. Most times the only way I can access the website is by using IE ( I think it is IE8, too lazy to look) Would using IE 64 bit be better?
What is Ubunto?
Some of the stuff my pc came pre-loaded with, I am just too skeered to even look at!

Yes you can dual-boot (have two operating systems on one machine), as with everything there are benefits and drawbacks not to mention you really should learn about partitioning drives and the boot process. BTW partitioning a drive means you divide the drive into multiple drives, if you divide the drive in two, though you only have one physical drive it's like have two separate drives.
Some websites only accept IE, some only accept IE and Firefox, etc. and when you're referring to 32 or 64 bit, that has to do with the operating system not so much the programs running on it. Oh and IE9 is the latest.
Ubuntu is a Linux distribution commonly referred to as 'distro' or, to put it in more familiar terms it's an operating system built off of the Linux kernel (core).
I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of what came pre-loaded on you system is bloat-ware otherwise known as unnecessary, extraneous crap.

LOL an hour? What are you installing it from? USB stick or DVD?

Define a "working system".

When one includes the initial updates with the install (I do, it's part of the install process) then yes, it can take up to an hour or more.

Well yea, if you install windows xp first gen, then it will take days to update.

If you install windows 7 with SP1 then the updates only take the amount of time it takes to download, hence depends on your internet.

Also most linux distros have a buttload of patches as well. Last time I installed Linux Mint, it had 200+mb of patches and what not.. that also took time.

When I say "Install", I mean from the time you put in your DVD/USB stick, to when you have a functioning OS on the machine. Now that does not include patching of course, since base install is (like with Linux) fully functional. And this takes under 10 min with Windows 7 and Linux alike.

A lot of it does have to do with the machine also.

When one includes the initial updates with the install (I do, it's part of the install process) then yes, it can take up to an hour or more.

Well yea, if you install windows xp first gen, then it will take days to update.

If you install windows 7 with SP1 then the updates only take the amount of time it takes to download, hence depends on your internet.

Also most linux distros have a buttload of patches as well. Last time I installed Linux Mint, it had 200+mb of patches and what not.. that also took time.

When I say "Install", I mean from the time you put in your DVD/USB stick, to when you have a functioning OS on the machine. Now that does not include patching of course, since base install is (like with Linux) fully functional. And this takes under 10 min with Windows 7 and Linux alike.

Actually not really. Only real difference would be if you have an SSD or not or only ran 1 GB of ram or less. Most machine processors from the last 5 years should have no problems installing windows 7 in the under 10 minutes category provided it had 2 gb plus ram and not an ultra slow harddisk and/or DVD player.

Last edited:

Actually not really. Only real difference would be if you have an SSD or not or only ran 1 GB of ram or less. Most machine processors from the last 5 years should have no problems installing windows 7 in the under 10 minutes category provided it had 2 gb plus ram and not an ultra slow harddisk and/or DVD player.

I noticed when I loaded Win 7 on my primary machine I think it took about 20 minutes for the base install. Sata II 320GB Caviar Blue HD, AMD Phenom II x2 (and at the time) 4GBs of DDR3, I'm now running 8GBs. ASUS Pro motherboard with crossfire and hyperthreading.

I noticed when I loaded Win 7 on my primary machine I think it took about 20 minutes for the base install. Sata II 320GB Caviar Blue HD, AMD Phenom II x2 (and at the time) 4GBs of DDR3, I'm now running 8GBs. ASUS Pro motherboard with crossfire and hyperthreading.

Weird... that is simply not how long my installs take. Sure with updates and reboots but base install nope.

Now the linux installs I have done take 20 min easy, especially the first time you try a distro and have to decipher what the hell they mean in some areas.. partitioning is especially poor on many. How hard it is to just use the freaking free space!!!!! and set up a standard file system!

Oh well, guess we will never agree on it.

Weird... that is simply not how long my installs take. Sure with updates and reboots but base install nope.

Now the linux installs I have done take 20 min easy, especially the first time you try a distro and have to decipher what the hell they mean in some areas.. partitioning is especially poor on many. How hard it is to just use the freaking free space!!!!! and set up a standard file system!

Oh well, guess we will never agree on it.

:dunno:

I'm with you on some of the Linux distros, especially the big ones they can take just as long if not longer. I've never had an issue with partitioning, I don't know why you have.
Are you using 64 or 32 bit distros?

Yes I love to use chrome and the best feature i like about it is that it uses cloud computing feature and saves all your data from the browser on cloud and when u freshly install chrome on new system or the same, you can import all the previous settings of old browser

Avast has some serious issues on Windows 7 x64. My boot went from less than 3 minutes to almost 10.

Avast is a serious resource hog.

But even a 3 minute boot concerns me. I have an SSD, admittedly, but boot time is well under a minute. Vista was sluggish on boot, but Windows 7 is currently the fastest booting OS I use. (Out of Mint, Ubuntu, and Windows.)

TY!
Can a pc have two OS?

Yes, can and most of us do.

I have 6 operating systems on the machine I am using at the moment.

What is Ubunto?

My SSL certificates are through Comodo.

Do make a backup, no need to partition your drive. Upgrade to IE 9, it is significantly faster than 8. IE 64 bit does nothing for you, as far as I can tell, and has compatibility with a lot of sites.

Most of the stuff loaded by the vendor is crapware and will demand payment after a 30 day trial, uninstall it.

Avast has some serious issues on Windows 7 x64. My boot went from less than 3 minutes to almost 10.

But even a 3 minute boot concerns me. I have an SSD, admittedly, but boot time is well under a minute. Vista was sluggish on boot, but Windows 7 is currently the fastest booting OS I use. (Out of Mint, Ubuntu, and Windows.)

I'm assuming he's using the full Avast suite. I run the free version of Avast on all my Windows system and it doesn't affect my boot up at all.

I'm assuming he's using the full Avast suite. I run the free version of Avast on all my Windows system and it doesn't affect my boot up at all.

I haven't seen it affect boot either. It used to piss me off if I forgot to disable Avast prior to going into Counterstrike, it would lag like a mofo.

Uummm, I wonder if that's the problem I was having with Arma II, I just couldn't get it to work right.

Uummm, I wonder if that's the problem I was having with Arma II, I just couldn't get it to work right.

Arma II uses client hosting, so the "server" is just the machine that started the session. Some are really slow. I never did like the way they did multiplayer. Even the original Flashpoint had this problem.

I don't do online, I only play on my machine.

I probably use a different standard than you. I can go from cold boot to internet browsing in just under 2 minutes, the 3 minute benchmark is to complete system idle after running all start up programs, including a few I launch automatically after the boot.

I just did a fresh install of Windows 7 and it took less than 10 minutes.

Even with 3+ minute boot times?

I count an install as the machine being ready to use, NIC and graphics drivers installed, all Mobo and Chipset drivers up to date. etc.

Your going to boot 3 or 4 times, so there is 9 to 12 minutes on it's own.

I have a system restore disk that I keep up to date, including all drivers and windows updates. Couple that with the built in HP Recovery, and it takes very little time. I actually expected it to take longer myself, I came back and it was waiting for me.

Forum List

Back