Best browser for Win7

Install Linux. Actually, you can download a CD and reboot with it in the tray to play around with it without making any changes to your machine.
One of the easiest distributions of Linux is Kubuntu.
Try it. By the way, it's FREE. so are 99% of all applications

One of the drone-like liberal trolls here at UMB actually suggested a different Linux system -- ubuntu.

It was a little bit of a pain to download and properly install, but I finally did it correctly and I can now use it as a SEPARATE OS on this computer of mine. It takes some getting used-to. I still mostly use Windows 7, for the time being. But I am seeing serious upsides to the Linux system.

As I learn the ropes, I have to admit, I have come to the conclusion that even a drone-like liberal Board troll can offer an intelligent and useful bit of advice ONCE in a lifetime.

Here's a link: Download | Ubuntu
I prefer Mint, the audio/video codecs are built into the install, you don't have to install them after the fact.
For Ubuntu, if you haven't already done so, here's the link for the restricted formats:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

Or you can load them from Software Center.

Install Linux. Actually, you can download a CD and reboot with it in the tray to play around with it without making any changes to your machine.

One of the drone-like liberal trolls here at UMB actually suggested a different Linux system -- ubuntu.

It was a little bit of a pain to download and properly install, but I finally did it correctly and I can now use it as a SEPARATE OS on this computer of mine. It takes some getting used-to. I still mostly use Windows 7, for the time being. But I am seeing serious upsides to the Linux system.

As I learn the ropes, I have to admit, I have come to the conclusion that even a drone-like liberal Board troll can offer an intelligent and useful bit of advice ONCE in a lifetime.

Ubuntu and Kubuntu are actually the same OS. The difference is the window manager, Ubuntu uses Gnome, that I have always found cumbersome. Kubuntu uses the KDE window manager. It's a personal preference thing. I guess Libs like cumbersome, big government crap.

Ubuntu and Kubuntu are actually the same OS. The difference is the window manager, Ubuntu uses Gnome, that I have always found cumbersome. Kubuntu uses the KDE window manager. It's a personal preference thing. I guess Libs like cumbersome, big government crap.

I was not informed in the world of Linux until recently. So that might be true. Tell us about the KDE manager thingie.

I do so wanna be a good and proper conservative! :D

I was not informed in the world of Linux until recently. So that might be true. Tell us about the KDE manager thingie.

The window manager is the graphical user interface. Imagine Windows with all thew capabilities, but with just text. You would need to type commands in obscure computerese to get anything to work
The pretty bells and buzzers are basically the Windows window manager.
Gnome, that your Ubuntu uses, I find obnoxious. It has a lot to do with it being just nasty and dependent on a couple of applications that had to be running in order to do anything when I started using Linux in, the late 90's
I found it confining and not user friendly at all.
KDE, on the other hand, could be navigated by a Windows 95 user and just felt more natural to me.
Like I said, it's a user preference, kind of like the piece of junk car you had in High School that you swore was the last Chevy, ford, Plymouth, whatever, you would ever own.

First, a KDE desktop:

kde1.jpeg

And next a Gnome desktop:
33wws3c.png

Not vastly different, but I still don't like it.

I suggest you d'load a Kubuntu CD and try it without installing.
As you get advanced, there are other lighter weight window managers that you might want to look at, but I know of no live CD versions

What I find "interesting" in the computer section is people ask for help concerning a Windows issue on a computer they already own with an operating system they're familiar with and probably won't change. Now enter the Douger and Douger look-a-likes who are of absolutely no help whatsoever and only want to promote their favorite OS and make fun of Windows.
I get it as a joke, I do it myself and I'm not 100% positive but I think some of you idiots might actually be serious and believe the person asking the question is going to take your advice. Thanks for the entertainment......... :lol:

The window manager is the graphical user interface. Imagine Windows with all thew capabilities, but with just text. You would need to type commands in obscure computerese to get anything to work
The pretty bells and buzzers are basically the Windows window manager.
Gnome, that your Ubuntu uses, I find obnoxious. It has a lot to do with it being just nasty and dependent on a couple of applications that had to be running in order to do anything when I started using Linux in, the late 90's
I found it confining and not user friendly at all.
KDE, on the other hand, could be navigated by a Windows 95 user and just felt more natural to me.
Like I said, it's a user preference, kind of like the piece of junk car you had in High School that you swore was the last Chevy, ford, Plymouth, whatever, you would ever own.

First, a KDE desktop:

kde1.jpeg

And next a Gnome desktop:
33wws3c.png

Not vastly different, but I still don't like it.

I suggest you d'load a Kubuntu CD and try it without installing.
As you get advanced, there are other lighter weight window managers that you might want to look at, but I know of no live CD versions

Like you said it's a personal preference I prefer Gnome. :dunno:

What I find "interesting" in the computer section is people ask for help concerning a Windows issue on a computer they already own with an operating system they're familiar with and probably won't change. Now enter the Douger and Douger look-a-likes who are of absolutely no help whatsoever and only want to promote their favorite OS and make fun of Windows.
I get it as a joke, I do it myself and I'm not 100% positive but I think some of you idiots might actually be serious and believe the person asking the question is going to take your advice. Thanks for the entertainment......... :lol:
Firefox works fine with Windoze...And it's the best, IM not-at-all HO.

But I do get your point, as I once updated a version of IE that totally crashed my laptop....Thank goodness for system restore and Firefox.....I never went back to IE after that experience :lol:

Firefox works fine with Windoze...And it's the best, IM not-at-all HO.

But I do get your point, as I once updated a version of IE that totally crashed my laptop....Thank goodness for system restore and Firefox.....I never went back to IE after that experience :lol:

Currently, when it comes to browsing security Comodo Dragon is the best. The only reason I don't use it is it has no menu bar, it's the new style, minimalist interface with the menu in a drop down on the upper right corner of the screen, just like it's parent Chromium/Chrome. If they had an optional menu bar I'd use it instead of FF.
IE has gotten much better but it still has a long way to go to fix it's image among non-IE users.

OK Y'all, now I am totally confused!
Is Linux a browser?

My PC came installed with Win7, would I need to uninstall Win7?
What is the BEST/safest browser for Win7?

Please forgive my ignorance in advance.
A girl can't know everything! :eusa_whistle:

Y'all are the bestest :)
(except for those Apple/Mac people) :razz:

Is Linux a browser?

Dont listen to them.. Linux is a whole new operating system that will confuse the hell out of you and has nothing to do with your question

And back to your question. IE, Firefox and Chrome are all the best and safest browsers for Windows 7. It is always the user that is the risk :)

Try installing Firefox and Chrome and see which you like best. Alternatively you can try Opera, which is just as safe. Just stay away from Safari.

Is Linux a browser?

Ignore the Linux/Apple pundits and detractors, they'll only confuse you and give you nothing but their biased opinion on those operating systems being better or worse then Windows.
If you're comfortable with the IE layout then load Firefox and we can help you set it up with the best Add-ons and configure the look the way you want it, it's easy. Here's the download link:

Mozilla Firefox Web Browser

I once used Win XP in my desktop but since I'm using laptop now.. it's Win7 and this is making me confused.:confused:

anyway, I have 3 browsers.. IE9, Firefox ver 9, and Google Chrome and I love chrome for being it faster unlike the two. :redface:

Chrome is what I use.

That said, there is nothing wrong with IE 9. What turns me off is that damned Bing crap that comes up, It's easy enough to change the default search to Google, but the initial launch of Bing offends me - it's such crap - nearly Apple level crap.

For MeBelle, I would never recommend Linux - it's a terrible choice. Linux is the domain of hobbyists who don't mind scouring forums and writing scripts. For a casual user, Windows 7 is light years ahead of the other choices.

Mac is a bad choice because you may want to do something useful on the computer at some point. Yes, Bootcamp can make a Mac useful, but why not just start with a real OS?

I like Linux, I like to tinker and fool around. It reminds me of the DOS days and you really are the master of your own fate with Linux. BUT it isn't mainstream and the average user is simply going to become frustrated by even the better distro. On the same hardware, Windows 7 64 is significantly faster than Ubuntu 11. Mint matches the Windows speed, but it's still a hassle finding printer, mouse, keyboard, smartphone, et al drivers.

Mind you, I can get everything to work, but a lot of it doesn't function. What I mean is that my Evoluent mouse works in Mint, but I have no way to program all the fancy buttons, like I do in Windows. My G15 keyboard works, but I get no RSS display or app abilities on it, nor the ability to record macros on the G keys. That's the world of Linux. Mint can access my Droid Razr as a mounted disk, but it has no idea that it's anything but a storage device. Linux just isn't mainstream - never will be until Android becomes the dominant distro.

Sorry for rambling. MeBelle, use Chrome or IE 9. Stick with Windows 7. Use Microsoft Security Essentials, this provides protection from malware and viruses, is free and integrate with the Windows defender system built into Windows.

Microsoft Security Essentials - Free Antivirus for Windows

MeBelle, if you're the average computer user then none of the above applies to you. My guess is you use a standard mouse and keyboard and don't sync your smart phone to your computer. I have never had an issue with Ubuntu or Mint finding and loading all my peripherals (mouse, keyboard, printer, etc) and loading them 100 times faster than Windows. On my primary computer I have run both Windows and Linux operating systems, both run and load at around the same speed though Linux installs 10 times faster than Windows (installs, not loads).
All of this is moot because you're probably not interested in Linux but I figured it would be nice to hear from someone who uses both Windows and Linux, likes them both for their individual attributes and doesn't have a pro or anti agenda favoring or deriding either one.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back