Best argument for the Earth not being 6,000 years old !!

johnsweeting

Oct 19, 2011
To many Christians think that the earth is around 6,000 years old. There is something called "the speed of light" which means that we see stars how they looked like a long time ago (depending how far away they are from us) if we see them in the sky, in a telescope etc. How can we then see stars that are millions of light years away if the earth is only 6,000 years old. If a star is 1 million Light years away then we see how it looked like 1 million years ago.

Last edited:
Are you talking the earth or the universe being 6000 years old?

If the universe is older than 6,000 years, the light would have already been traveling.

Are you talking the earth or the universe being 6000 years old?

If the universe is older than 6,000 years, the light would have already been traveling.

Sorry.. I mean everything:
Young Earth creationism (YEC) is the religious belief[1] that the Universe, Earth and all life on Earth were created by direct acts of the Abrahamic God during a relatively short period, sometime between 5,700 and 10,000 years ago

Many Christians think the world is only 6,000?

SRSLY?

I've never heard any of the ones I know say any such thing.

SRSLY?

Are you American and don't know about this ??

Since 1982, between 40% and 50% of adults in the United States say they hold the creationist view that "God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years" when Gallup asked for their views on the origin and development of human beings. As of 2012, the percentage of believers decreases as the level of education increases. Only 25% of respondents with postgraduate degrees believed compared with 52% of those with a high school education or less. A 2011 Gallup survey reports that 30% of U.S. adults interpret the Bible literally.

To many Christians think that the earth is around 6,000 years old. There is something called "the speed of light" which means that we see stars how they looked like a long time ago (depending how far away they are from us) if we see them in the sky, in a telescope etc. How can we then see stars that are millions of light years away if the earth is only 6,000 years old. If a star is 1 million Light years away then we see how it looked like 1 million years ago.

Don't bother with those people man. You're not going to get anywhere with them.

I know but stats say they are 40-50% of all Americans. Sounds way to high but that is what the survey says.
I really would like to find someone who believes this to answer how we can see the stars that are 1 million or more light years away....

Last edited:

SRSLY?

Since 1982, between 40% and 50% of adults in the United States say they hold the creationist view that "God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years" when Gallup asked for their views on the origin and development of human beings. As of 2012, the percentage of believers decreases as the level of education increases. Only 25% of respondents with postgraduate degrees believed compared with 52% of those with a high school education or less. A 2011 Gallup survey reports that 30% of U.S. adults interpret the Bible literally.

How could God create humans in the last 10,000 years if the earth is only 6,000 years old?

Wouldn't humans have to have been created within 6,000 years if that's the case?

You really are spewing nonsense.

I know but stats say they are 40-50% of all Americans. Sounds way to high but that is what the survey says.
I really would like to find someone who believes this to answer how we can see the stars that are 1 million or more light years away....

Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics, bub.

SRSLY?

The problem with polls like that is they can be very easily skewed by who you poll. I know a lot of Christians and not one of them thinks that the Earth is 6000 years old. Hell I know a Catholic priest and HE knows the universe and the Earth are far older than that.

Just another atheist trying to show how superior he is....

Good lord I hope not...

Here's 1,112 pages and counting of arguing with creationists and having zero effect on them.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/religion-and-ethics/190358-creationists.html - from Religion/Ethics USMB sub-forum

Last edited:

SRSLY?

How could God create humans in the last 10,000 years if the earth is only 6,000 years old?

Wouldn't humans have to have been created within 6,000 years if that's the case?

You really are spewing nonsense.

You are avoiding the point..It says within 10,000 years...
Ok..If Humans, universe, earth was created within 10,000 years how can we see stars that are 1 million light years away (we can actually see them)...

I disagree with your nonsense that a large portion of Americans think the Earth is only 6,000 years old.

SRSLY?

The problem with polls like that is they can be very easily skewed by who you poll. I know a lot of Christians and not one of them thinks that the Earth is 6000 years old. Hell I know a Catholic priest and HE knows the universe and the Earth are far older than that.

Just another atheist trying to show how superior he is....

And a young amateur atheist as well.

I disagree with your nonsense that a large portion of Americans think the Earth is only 6,000 years old.

Well, it is done by the biggest pollster Gallup (click on the text in the quote box):

Also listen to this lady (don't jump out a window when you hear it):

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtzJhTfQiMA]Arizona State Senator Sylvia Allen (R) says Earth is 6,000 years old. - YouTube[/ame]

Why would anyone feel the need to jump out of the window because somebody else says something nonsensical?

If that were the case, USMB would be a zone of carnage.

Well, it is done by the biggest pollster Gallup (click on the text in the quote box):

Also listen to this lady (don't jump out a window when you hear it):

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtzJhTfQiMA]Arizona State Senator Sylvia Allen (R) says Earth is 6,000 years old. - YouTube[/ame]

When this lady said that the earth is 6,000 years old it was a controversy and some newspapers wrote about it.

How can it be a controversy if 46% of Americans believe it as well (according to Gallup which is the biggest one in America)..

Ok...Nobody here believes the Earth, Universe and Humans were created within 10,000 years.
Good and I will not jump out a window then..Yes, I'm superior (answering a question from a Christian in an earlier post).

Forum List

Back