Best argument for the Earth not being 6,000 years old !!

Are you American and don't know about this ??

Since 1982, between 40% and 50% of adults in the United States say they hold the creationist view that "God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years" when Gallup asked for their views on the origin and development of human beings. As of 2012, the percentage of believers decreases as the level of education increases. Only 25% of respondents with postgraduate degrees believed compared with 52% of those with a high school education or less. A 2011 Gallup survey reports that 30% of U.S. adults interpret the Bible literally.

The problem with polls like that is they can be very easily skewed by who you poll. I know a lot of Christians and not one of them thinks that the Earth is 6000 years old. Hell I know a Catholic priest and HE knows the universe and the Earth are far older than that.

Just another atheist trying to show how superior he is....

And a young amateur atheist as well.

I find militant atheists just as annoying as militant deists. They are cut from the same cloth.

Ok...Nobody here believes the Earth, Universe and Humans were created within 10,000 years.
Good and I will not jump out a window then..Yes, I'm superior (answering a question from a Christian in an earlier post).

No, you're not. You have a different belief system. But it's STILL a belief system. You're just not smart enough to have figured that out yet. Here's a song that might help you..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnxkfLe4G74]Freewill - Rush - YouTube[/ame]

To many Christians think that the earth is around 6,000 years old. There is something called "the speed of light" which means that we see stars how they looked like a long time ago (depending how far away they are from us) if we see them in the sky, in a telescope etc. How can we then see stars that are millions of light years away if the earth is only 6,000 years old. If a star is 1 million Light years away then we see how it looked like 1 million years ago.

Someone even feels the need to argue that? :eek:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I disagree with your nonsense that a large portion of Americans think the Earth is only 6,000 years old.

Well, it is done by the biggest pollster Gallup (click on the text in the quote box):

Also listen to this lady (don't jump out a window when you hear it):

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtzJhTfQiMA]Arizona State Senator Sylvia Allen (R) says Earth is 6,000 years old. - YouTube[/ame]

When this lady said that the earth is 6,000 years old it was a controversy and some newspapers wrote about it.

How can it be a controversy if 46% of Americans believe it as well (according to Gallup which is the biggest one in America)..

I suspect that the views held by the kooky Ms. Allen are more common than many religious folks would like to admit. There are more of the fundamentalist creation ministries than one might expect for there not to be at least some support for these beliefs.

this post proves one thing, there are just as many gullible non believers as believers.
the balance in nature is sustained.
btw, most of starlight we see is from galaxies that died millions of years ago, when you look into the night sky you're looking back in time.

Some Christians believe in the gap theory:
Genesis1:1-2
1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep.

There is no mention in the Bible about the time that lapsed between the 1st. sentence and the 3rd. sentence < "let there be light".
But between them, in the second sentence is something strange. In the 1st sentence, God made the earth, which means it had form. By sentence 2, it didn't.

If you read the 2nd sentence in the Bible in ancient Greek it reads:
But the earth became confused, and empty, (waste) and an unnatural (evil) darkness was upon the face of the deep.

Satan was cast down to earth, the ensuing battle appears to have been great enough to turn earth into a confused waste. We aren't told how long it went on before the unnatural darkness was replaced by God's command for light to appear, and eventually man.

Some Christians believe in the gap theory:
Genesis1:1-2
1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep.

There is no mention in the Bible about the time that lapsed between the 1st. sentence and the 3rd. sentence < "let there be light".
But between them, in the second sentence is something strange. In the 1st sentence, God made the earth, which means it had form. By sentence 2, it didn't.

If you read the 2nd sentence in the Bible in ancient Greek it reads:
But the earth became confused, and empty, (waste) and an unnatural (evil) darkness was upon the face of the deep.

Satan was cast down to earth, the ensuing battle appears to have been great enough to turn earth into a confused waste. We aren't told how long it went on before the unnatural darkness was replaced by God's command for light to appear, and eventually man.
NOW THAT SOME GOOD FAntasy!

To many Christians think that the earth is around 6,000 years old. There is something called "the speed of light" which means that we see stars how they looked like a long time ago (depending how far away they are from us) if we see them in the sky, in a telescope etc. How can we then see stars that are millions of light years away if the earth is only 6,000 years old. If a star is 1 million Light years away then we see how it looked like 1 million years ago.

How does the age of the earth affect the speed of light from stars millions of light years away?

Last edited:

How does the age of the earth affect the speed of light from starts millions of light years away?

Because Genesis describes God creating the heavens (universe) and the Earth. Ergo, if the Universe is only 6,000 years old, how can there be light travelling for so long to get here.

Rightwing teanuts I talked to believe God put the light in "transit" so we can see what he did.

How does the age of the earth affect the speed of light from starts millions of light years away?
really? btw it's stars..

Because Genesis describes God creating the heavens (universe) and the Earth. Ergo, if the Universe is only 6,000 years old, how can there be light travelling for so long to get here.

I see. The OP says if the EARTH is 6,000 years old not universe. And nothing in Genesis prevents God creating countless worlds before this one.

really? btw it's stars..

Yes really.

I guarentee you aren't 6,000 years old. Yet you can see light that shined from stars 1 million light years away. Are you honestly suggesting that if you weren't here those stars wouldn't be shining and the light wouldn't have gotten here? Because that's what the OP is suggesting.

really? btw it's stars..

Yes really.

I guarentee you aren't 6,000 years old. Yet you can see light that shined from stars 1 million light years away. Are you honestly suggesting that if you weren't here those stars wouldn't be shining and the light wouldn't have gotten here? Because that's what the OP is suggesting.
most of the stars we see are much older than that...but to answer your question the universe has been doing what it does long before we made up a god to worship and will be doing so long after that myth fades from memory ..

Many Christians think the world is only 6,000?

SRSLY?

I've never heard any of the ones I know say any such thing.

Many Christians also believe in the Flintstone Theory, which is that man and dinosaurs walked the earth together.

Well, it is done by the biggest pollster Gallup (click on the text in the quote box):

Also listen to this lady (don't jump out a window when you hear it):

Arizona State Senator Sylvia Allen (R) says Earth is 6,000 years old. - YouTube

When this lady said that the earth is 6,000 years old it was a controversy and some newspapers wrote about it.

How can it be a controversy if 46% of Americans believe it as well (according to Gallup which is the biggest one in America)..

I suspect that the views held by the kooky Ms. Allen are more common than many religious folks would like to admit. There are more of the fundamentalist creation ministries than one might expect for there not to be at least some support for these beliefs.

Perhaps, but the general belief that our Universe is the product of a higher power runs a much higher gamut of beliefs than you may be acknowledging, even amongst Christians, hence why there is such a thing as a YE distinction amongst creationists. Don't make the mistake that many fundamentalists make when they assume that evolutionary science is inextricably aligned with positive atheism.

Many Christians think the world is only 6,000?

SRSLY?

I've never heard any of the ones I know say any such thing.

Many Christians also believe in the Flintstone Theory, which is that man and dinosaurs walked the earth together.

And many idiots, er, I mean Atheists, believe we evolved from fish and/or apes.

There's a reason why that 'link' is missing
:eusa_shhh:

Forum List

Back