Bernie Sanders - Free College Tuition

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
Now I can't stand Colonel Sanders, but I think he is 100% correct on this. College tuition has become unaffordable and it saddling students will $100K+ in student loan debt before they even get the college.

Bernie Sanders issues bill to make 4-year colleges tuition-free USA TODAY College

I hear the argument that look what public schools have done to K-12. That argument doesn't jive. First, do a search of just IL. The top schools are private schools, they are a mix of Magnet/College Prep/Charter/Regular Public, but are all tax payer covered public schools. The issue is really the inner city schools and I honestly think that has a lot to do with the students and families. Second, do the research there are a TON of horrible private colleges.

Yes it will probably cost $100 Billion, but education is something WE SHOULD spend on. I would put add some changes to this bills:
(1) End Tenure - All Professors are now at-will. This goes for K-12.
(2) No more collective defined payment pensions - All teachers contribute to SS and they get individual 401K style pensions with an employer match. Imposed on states also/
(3) Health Insurance employer contribution similar to the private sector. Imposed on states also
(4) School Choice at Fed and State level.

Then they should put in areas they should cut from. There are $100s of billions of dollars (aka useless agencies) that can be cut from the budget to cover this.

We don't need more graduates with degrees that can't support the holders with viable jobs. We need more people willing to work in trades, we need more engineers. We don't need the results from the "everyone goes to college" paradigm.

Now I can't stand Colonel Sanders, but I think he is 100% correct on this. College tuition has become unaffordable and it saddling students will $100K+ in student loan debt before they even get the college.

Bernie Sanders issues bill to make 4-year colleges tuition-free USA TODAY College

I hear the argument that look what public schools have done to K-12. That argument doesn't jive. First, do a search of just IL. The top schools are private schools, they are a mix of Magnet/College Prep/Charter/Regular Public, but are all tax payer covered public schools. The issue is really the inner city schools and I honestly think that has a lot to do with the students and families. Second, do the research there are a TON of horrible private colleges.

Yes it will probably cost $100 Billion, but education is something WE SHOULD spend on. I would put add some changes to this bills:
(2) No more collective defined payment pensions - All teachers contribute to SS and they get individual 401K style pensions with an employer match. Imposed on states also/
(3) Health Insurance employer contribution similar to the private sector. Imposed on states also

Then they should put in areas they should cut from. There are $100s of billions of dollars (aka useless agencies) that can be cut from the budget to cover this.

Bernie Sanders issues bill to make 4-year colleges tuition-free

That is excellent! Getting all these teachers and colleges to volunteer to educate these students for no charge. They should publish a list of the names of all these upstanding people.

Oh, wait, he didn't mean free, he meant taxpayers would pay?

Fuck you Commie Bernie. Asshole.

About half of what they try to teach in College used to be taught in the already "free" K-12 education. How bout we as a society make better use of our time and money and do that instead.

We don't need more graduates with degrees that can't support the holders with viable jobs. We need more people willing to work in trades, we need more engineers. We don't need the results from the "everyone goes to college" paradigm.

I agree and nothing is free. If everyone went to college for free the colleges would be closing.

Op's an idiot just like Bernie Saunders.

That is excellent! Getting all these teachers and colleges to volunteer to educate these students for no charge. They should publish a list of the names of all these upstanding people.

Oh Yeah. The taxpayers would foot the bill. What a load of horseshit that is.

Bernie Saunders is an idiot and so is the OP. Nothing is for free. If no one payed to attend college then the colleges would go broke and close.

I think we taxpayers are saddled with enough bullshit. We sure don't need to provide free college to anyone.

So tax people so that the college-tuition keeping those who cannot do but will teach employed at extravagant salaries racket can continue unabated eh? Time to get real. The internet is the new college. It sports a library that even the best college can't touch. Online degrees are the new vogue and will continue to be as long as tuition can never be reached by so many. Mr. Sanders is prolly taking lobbying goodies from Big University on this one.

Every dying institution wants in on the public-teat to stay alive it seems... The trouble is that this old lady's teat is pretty shrivelled up and dry these days..the last thing we need is to apply the paddles of life to the dying University system..

The left wing commie politicians really know how to seduce the ignorant don'tthey?

The second you understand that nothing in life is free, then you will understand what liars those commies are.

There is no such thing as a fucking utopia. There are no blue creatures living in harmony on some distant planet under a big beautiful tree.

The day the left wing morons understand that they understand very little, will be the day they understand a lot.

Stupid idea..... college is so expensive because we've thrown endless piles of cash at it via the student loan program. Dummies are spending 8 years getting worthless degrees that will not land them a job other than a barista at Starbucks. Doubling down on this is retarded.

If you're going ti invest in college, invest in something that will pay well. Note to self, Druid Philosophy degrees are worthless.

Stupid idea..... college is so expensive because we've thrown endless piles of cash at it via the student loan program. Dummies are spending 8 years getting worthless degrees that will not land them a job other than a barista at Starbucks. Doubling down on this is retarded.

If you're going ti invest in college, invest in something that will pay well. Note to self, Druid Philosophy degrees are worthless.

I agree. Go to trade school. Get a real edcation that will last you your whole life.

Loads of college educated kids out there now who can't find a job.

To be fair, those degrees are not worthless, however they are only worth a couple of jobs a year available, and usually only after getting your Doctorate in Druid Philosophy. That being said, the issue is indeed the number of degrees earned by type does not match the numbers of available jobs by requirement.

:clap2:

The time for liberal studies is in high school; and they should be vigorously-applied there to turn out well-rounded people. College should be to hone a direction of applicable trade. Actually, junior high and high school kids should be well-started on apprenticeships by the time they graduate. We are waiting way too late to start kids in viable trades.

My theory is, the more likely a college is to churn out graduates who can actually find work in a viable trade that supports their family, the more public help they should get. A college whose emphasis is on druid philosphy cannot get public funding.

Seems like a good compromise.

MIT, VT aren't overly expensive schools? Trade school don't cost a alot and note when more and more people go the trade school route the costs skyrockets. See what happen with online schools.

Engineers require college degrees to get a job.

We should desire an educated workforce. The need for a college degree is yes over-rated, but it's necessary in our society. Not to mention kids SHOULD get the college experience our generation was offered.

The last few large corporations I worked for who were the R&D people (the engineers)? They were always foreigners from Asia. If you haven't looked around the US is floundering in math, science and education as a whole. Our children are becoming slaves to their college debt. It's a travesty that a kid starts out in the world with a mountain of debt that is the equivalent of a 1st mortgage.

Something needs to change!

About half of what they try to teach in College used to be taught in the already "free" K-12 education. How bout we as a society make better use of our time and money and do that instead.

That isn't true! There are many wasted courses in college no doubt, but your comment is plain foolish and ignorant.

The last few large corporations I worked for who were the R&D people (the engineers)? They were always foreigners from Asia. If you haven't looked around the US is floundering in math, science and education as a whole. Our children are becoming slaves to their college debt. It's a travesty that a kid starts out in the world with a mountain of debt that is the equivalent of a 1st mortgage.

Something needs to change!

When our middle schools and high schools are teaching diversity, Marxism and sex-ed classes instead of economics, accounting, math and science, it's not a surprise when the kids can't compete.
And when the government throws loans at them anyway, they graduate with a crappy degree and a pile of debt.
I agree, we need a change, more taxpayer dollars for "free college"is not it.

Oh Yeah. The taxpayers would foot the bill. What a load of horseshit that is.
If I can change the OP to Tax Payer Funded Schools I would go and make that correction. Nothing in life is truly free, but there are things that money should be spent on.

Bernie Saunders is an idiot and so is the OP. Nothing is for free. If no one payed to attend college then the colleges would go broke and close.
I love the personal attack that is followed up with an irrational and ignorant comment. To get a good job you essentially have to have college education. Yes there are other paths, other careers and people who have made it without the college degree, but these paths are becoming fewer and harder to reach. Fact is you are out of touch with reality to say people will stop going to college. First that is never going to happen. Second, do we really what to be a country that has the lowest college graduation rate. Great things to strive for!

I think we taxpayers are saddled with enough bullshit. We sure don't need to provide free college to anyone.
Not doubt, so we need to free up some of that bullshit and spend it on this! :)

MIT, VT aren't overly expensive schools? Trade school don't cost a alot and note when more and more people go the trade school route the costs skyrockets. See what happen with online schools.

We should desire an educated workforce. The need for a college degree is yes over-rated, but it's necessary in our society. Not to mention kids SHOULD get the college experience our generation was offered.

They are overly expensive because the government is giving out money like it is taffy. Make the government pay even more for it, and costs will continue to go up, except it will be the taxpayers footing the bill.

Once you open up the "we will pay for degree X, but not degree Y" pandora's box, you open up lobbying groups, angst t

They are overly expensive BECAUSE of government money being added to the education pool. Adding even more money, now hidden behind the idea of "free" college would make it even worse.

The concept that a college degree is required in this society is fiction. It is better to say the RIGHT college degree will help you get a better job, but just saying "College or bust" leads to those basketweaving and woymyn's studies degree holders waiting tables.

Forum List

Back