Bernie Sanders - Free College Tuition

Now I can't stand Colonel Sanders, but I think he is 100% correct on this. College tuition has become unaffordable and it saddling students will $100K+ in student loan debt before they even get the college.

Bernie Sanders issues bill to make 4-year colleges tuition-free USA TODAY College

I hear the argument that look what public schools have done to K-12. That argument doesn't jive. First, do a search of just IL. The top schools are private schools, they are a mix of Magnet/College Prep/Charter/Regular Public, but are all tax payer covered public schools. The issue is really the inner city schools and I honestly think that has a lot to do with the students and families. Second, do the research there are a TON of horrible private colleges.

Yes it will probably cost $100 Billion, but education is something WE SHOULD spend on. I would put add some changes to this bills:
(1) End Tenure - All Professors are now at-will. This goes for K-12.
(2) No more collective defined payment pensions - All teachers contribute to SS and they get individual 401K style pensions with an employer match. Imposed on states also/
(3) Health Insurance employer contribution similar to the private sector. Imposed on states also
(4) School Choice at Fed and State level.

Then they should put in areas they should cut from. There are $100s of billions of dollars (aka useless agencies) that can be cut from the budget to cover this.

I can't wait until everything is free....the government will then decide what I learn, what I eat, and where I live. The days of working for something will be over with. Why even go to college then? I will have everything I have ever wanted. Hooray!

Now I can't stand Colonel Sanders, but I think he is 100% correct on this. College tuition has become unaffordable and it saddling students will $100K+ in student loan debt before they even get the college.

Bernie Sanders issues bill to make 4-year colleges tuition-free USA TODAY College

I hear the argument that look what public schools have done to K-12. That argument doesn't jive. First, do a search of just IL. The top schools are private schools, they are a mix of Magnet/College Prep/Charter/Regular Public, but are all tax payer covered public schools. The issue is really the inner city schools and I honestly think that has a lot to do with the students and families. Second, do the research there are a TON of horrible private colleges.

Yes it will probably cost $100 Billion, but education is something WE SHOULD spend on. I would put add some changes to this bills:
(2) No more collective defined payment pensions - All teachers contribute to SS and they get individual 401K style pensions with an employer match. Imposed on states also/
(3) Health Insurance employer contribution similar to the private sector. Imposed on states also

Then they should put in areas they should cut from. There are $100s of billions of dollars (aka useless agencies) that can be cut from the budget to cover this.

Bernie Sanders issues bill to make 4-year colleges tuition-free

That is excellent! Getting all these teachers and colleges to volunteer to educate these students for no charge. They should publish a list of the names of all these upstanding people.

Oh, wait, he didn't mean free, he meant taxpayers would pay?

Fuck you Commie Bernie. Asshole.

The last few large corporations I worked for who were the R&D people (the engineers)? They were always foreigners from Asia. If you haven't looked around the US is floundering in math, science and education as a whole. Our children are becoming slaves to their college debt. It's a travesty that a kid starts out in the world with a mountain of debt that is the equivalent of a 1st mortgage.

Something needs to change!

Yep, remove government funding for colleges and student loans and the cost of an education would drop like a rock. When government supplies endless supplies of money to anything the cost naturally go up because there is no consumer pressures to hold costs down. Limit student loans to $25,000 lifetime and see what happens to tuition costs.

Since we are talking how our Daddy gumberment should give us FREE stuff. I was just reading this. we are doomed

snip:
What If Everybody Didn't Have to Work to Get Paid?
Advocates say that a guaranteed basic income can lead to more creative, fulfilling work. The question is how to fund it.

lead_960.jpg

Basic income activist Scott Santens in New Orleans Courtesy Katie Smith
David R. Wheeler
  • May 18, 2015
Scott Santens has been thinking a lot about fish lately. Specifically, he’s been reflecting on the aphorism, “If you give a man a fish, he eats for a day. If you teach a man to fish, he eats for life.” What Santens wants to know is this: “If you build a robot to fish, do all men starve, or do all men eat?”

all of it here:
What If Everybody Didn t Have to Work to Get Paid - The Atlantic

but then how will so many teachers be able to pay their mortgages? who is going to pay for their summer mansions?

In a broader economic context, however, this makes perfect sense and represents an excellent investment. Advanced education is an absolute necessity to economic growth, and all U.S. industries gain a direct benefit from an educated workforce. Logically, the beneficiaries (industries and the American economy in general) should invest in an educated workforce. Business is the main beneficiary; why should labor pay for something that immediately becomes an intangible asset to businesses?

In a broader economic context, however, this makes perfect sense and represents an excellent investment. Advanced education is an absolute necessity to economic growth, and all U.S. industries gain a direct benefit from an educated workforce. Logically, the beneficiaries (industries and the American economy in general) should invest in an educated workforce. Business is the main beneficiary; why should labor pay for something that immediately becomes an intangible asset to businesses?

all U.S. industries gain a direct benefit from an educated workforce.

And our public schools are failing to provide that.

why should labor pay for something that immediately becomes an intangible asset to businesses?

Because it can walk out the door and not come back?

We don't need more graduates with degrees that can't support the holders with viable jobs. We need more people willing to work in trades, we need more engineers. We don't need the results from the "everyone goes to college" paradigm.

I agree and nothing is free. If everyone went to college for free the colleges would be closing.

Op's an idiot just like Bernie Saunders.

Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System
John and Abigail Adams Scholarship
The John and Abigail Adams Scholarship provides a tuition waiver for up to eight semesters of undergraduate education at a Massachusetts state college or university. The scholarship covers tuition only; fees and room and board are not included. The scholarship must be used within six years of a student's high school graduation.

In order to be eligible for the John and Abigail Adams Scholarship, Massachusetts public high school students in the class of 2015 or earlier must

• have scores of Advanced and Proficient on grade 10 MCAS tests in English Language Arts (ELA) and Mathematics (at least one score must be Advanced) AND
  • have combined scores on MCAS ELA and Mathematics tests that place them in the top 25 percent of students in the graduating class in their district.
...that's one decent free college program.

...started by Mitt Romney in Massachusetts btw.

John and Abigail Adams Scholarship- Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System

We don't need more graduates with degrees that can't support the holders with viable jobs. We need more people willing to work in trades, we need more engineers. We don't need the results from the "everyone goes to college" paradigm.

I agree and nothing is free. If everyone went to college for free the colleges would be closing.

The John and Abigail Adams Scholarship provides a tuition waiver for up to eight semesters of undergraduate education at a Massachusetts state college or university. The scholarship covers tuition only; fees and room and board are not included. The scholarship must be used within six years of a student's high school graduation.

In order to be eligible for the John and Abigail Adams Scholarship, Massachusetts public high school students in the class of 2015 or earlier must

• have scores of Advanced and Proficient on grade 10 MCAS tests in English Language Arts (ELA) and Mathematics (at least one score must be Advanced) AND
  • have combined scores on MCAS ELA and Mathematics tests that place them in the top 25 percent of students in the graduating class in their district.

John and Abigail Adams Scholarship- Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System

it's a scholarship program with requirements, not "Free College".

Since we are talking how our Daddy gumberment should give us FREE stuff. I was just reading this. we are doomed

snip:
What If Everybody Didn't Have to Work to Get Paid?
Advocates say that a guaranteed basic income can lead to more creative, fulfilling work. The question is how to fund it.

lead_960.jpg

Basic income activist Scott Santens in New Orleans Courtesy Katie Smith
David R. Wheeler
  • May 18, 2015
Scott Santens has been thinking a lot about fish lately. Specifically, he’s been reflecting on the aphorism, “If you give a man a fish, he eats for a day. If you teach a man to fish, he eats for life.” What Santens wants to know is this: “If you build a robot to fish, do all men starve, or do all men eat?”

all of it here:
What If Everybody Didn t Have to Work to Get Paid - The Atlantic
Humanity becomes superfluous. There will be those who control the robots and a few human organ farms to supply spare parts. The world will be a garden paradise. If all men eat, it's because all men are nothing but a handfull.

why should labor pay for something that immediately becomes an intangible asset to businesses?

Public education is a separate issue entirely; I would note, however, that the right wing solution of reducing education funding doesn't seem to work, does it?

And if "businesses walk out the door and don't come back," rest assured others will come and fill the void. Business owners and entrepreneurs are not actually a rare commodity.

No, it's free college. What part of the term 'tuition waiver' don't you understand?

Public education is a separate issue entirely; I would note, however, that the right wing solution of reducing education funding doesn't seem to work, does it?

And if "businesses walk out the door and don't come back," rest assured others will come and fill the void. Business owners and entrepreneurs are not actually a rare commodity.

I would note, however, that the right wing solution of reducing education funding doesn't seem to work, does it?

Reduced funding? Where have you seen that?
All I see is increased funding and decreased results.

And if "businesses walk out the door and don't come back,"

No, silly, the "intangible asset" of the educated workforce.
Why should labor pay for something they can take with them?
The question answers itself.

No, it's free college. What part of the term 'tuition waiver' don't you understand?

Any scholarship is technically "free college" by your definition.

Its a scholarship program, not open "free college", which is what Bernie boy is after.

We used to have free community college here and substantially lower tuition for residents and that all turned to crap like everything the government promises. They don't have the money.

Also, there is this requirement:

To continue receiving the Adams Scholarship, a student must

• be enrolled full-time at a public higher education institution;
  • maintain a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 on all college work; and
  • annually complete the FAFSA.

So if you go below a 3.0, bye bye scholarship. Its not "free college"

• maintain a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 on all college work; and

I never said it was universal. Learn to read.

And why is that a bad idea?

I never said it was universal. Learn to read.

It's still not "free college" as Bernie boy is talking about. Its a state funded scholarship, for state funded schools only.

And why is that a bad idea?

It isn't. It should be taken further to limited degrees, and the requirement should be 3.4

Forum List

Back