Before The Controversy......

Bonzi

Diamond Member
May 17, 2015
What did the American flag represent to you?

What did the National Anthem represent to you?

To me the flag simply symbolizes our country. Looking upon it while singing or listening to the national anthem was a time I used to reflect on how grateful I am to be in a country where I want for nothing. I never thought about the current president, politics, etc.

th

*****SMILE*****

:)

I've never been the type for symbolism. I'd love this country if neither the flag or anthem existed. You can burn the flag or kneel for the anthem. They aren't what makes my country great.

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk
I guess the thing is appearances. It's a way to show publically how you feel. Obviously it's not mandatory, but to not do it implies you have issue with what the us stands for and provides to you.

If you are in you home, you may or may not stand Everytime. At an event you are asked as a show of respect...at least that's my thinking

The flag. Betsy Ross and George Washington.

The anthem. A poem about a battle during the War of 1812.

I guess the thing is appearances. It's a way to show publically how you feel. Obviously it's not mandatory, but to not do it implies you have issue with what the us stands for and provides to you.

If you are in you home, you may or may not stand Everytime. At an event you are asked as a show of respect...at least that's my thinking

It implies no such thing.

It implies no such thing.

Only you can decide that for YOURSELF, boy.

The flag is a symbol of home, not unlike, on a micro scale, the address numbers on your mailbox can be seen as a symbol of home. We as Americans share the flag symbol. We share a home, a history. Is everything peachy keen all the time? Of course not. Years ago, I was with a friend at a basketball game. The National Anthem was playing. She didn't rise. When I looked at her, she said, "as long as Ronald Reagan is in the White House, I won't stand." That didn't make sense to me. The football players taking a knee doesn't make sense to me either.

All I know is, I know how blessed I am to have been born here. No matter what happens, I will not diss the flag nor my home.

I've never been the type for symbolism. I'd love this country if neither the flag or anthem existed. You can burn the flag or kneel for the anthem. They aren't what makes my country great.
This is pretty much how I feel, but also I think that if you are not going to do one thing to show your appreciation for those who fought and died for our freedom, try to show your appreciation in some other way then. Make sure in some way that our troops know that they are thanked.

God bless you and them always!!!

Holly

I've had this debate before. To me, the flag, pledge, and national anthem are symbols of America's aspirational goals. We fall short a lot, but that's not the same as to stop trying. Those goals are high standards of personal liberty, justice, equality, and community as demonstrated in documents such as FDR's Four Freedoms, the Atlantic Charter, and some principals we have now explicitly abandoned, such as collective security, international leadership, and human rights. I understand the reasoning of those who believe that attacking the symbols is a way to open debate on our shortcomings in meeting our aspirational goals, but I think it is usually counterproductive. But it can be useful when you pick your fights wisely.

Oh, I also think the national anthem is difficult for average people to sing, refers to imagery which is meaningless, and has two stanzas that are an embarrassment to America. Personally I would favor Woody Guthrie's "This Land is your land", but would settle for "America the Beautiful".

True, but the country, the Republic and the people of this nation MAKE THE FLAG GREAT, doh!

So they shouldnt disrespect the flag and anthem without realizing that they are also disrespecting ALL OF US, their paying fans.

Since a few songs have been shared in this chat, here is my favorite.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. I love to hear my late beautiful precious Steve Sander of the oak Ridge Boys sing it so much!

The flag is a piece of cloth and the anthem is a song. What symbolizes this country is the Constitution. That is the founding document and lays out bedrock beliefs of freedom of speech. Even speech we don't agree with. Trump started this by disrespecting our Constitution which disrespects our flag and our anthem. His followers are a pack of wild animals who attack anyone who disagrees with them. Trump is a demagogue just like Hitler.

Forum List

Back