Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
Top three types of BBQ in the world:

1) Korean

2) Brazilian

3) American

Anyone have a different list/order?

Best BBQ I ever had was at a little place in Kansas called "Oklahoma Joes". This place started out at a little home town gas station in Oklahoma and it just grew from there.

If you ever have the opportunity to eat there...do so! Yum...the pulled pork is amazing and there sauce is to die for! Also they have black BBQed beans that are quite unique...YUM!!!

Honestly, Oklahoma Joes is one of the few things I miss about living in Kansas.

So your list would put American-style BBQ at the top of the list, right?

What's the difference between the types you've listed? Different meats and seasoning and/or the way they're prepared, or the type(s) of wood used to grill/BBQ them?

I guess that would depend on whether you like beef or pork.
I prefer brisket. And we know which state kicks butt on brisket......:eusa_whistle:

I do like getting online and finding BBQ recipes from different regions of the country.
The N. Carolina vinegar sauces are pretty good. But the Alabama white sauce on pulled pork is just bad ass!!

Love of brisket is what really drew me to Q-ing.

My wife made what we used to call pulled pork in the crockpot and ribs in the oven, but brisket was only available at the BBQ shack.

But since then, I've gravitated more towards the pork.

I love N.C. and S.C. sauces, but I've never tried Alabama sauce...going to take a look at it right now. :thup:

I guess that would depend on whether you like beef or pork.
I prefer brisket. And we know which state kicks butt on brisket......:eusa_whistle:

I do like getting online and finding BBQ recipes from different regions of the country.
The N. Carolina vinegar sauces are pretty good. But the Alabama white sauce on pulled pork is just bad ass!!

Love of brisket is what really drew me to Q-ing.

My wife made what we used to call pulled pork in the crockpot and ribs in the oven, but brisket was only available at the BBQ shack.

But since then, I've gravitated more towards the pork.

I love N.C. and S.C. sauces, but I've never tried Alabama sauce...going to take a look at it right now. :thup:

Brisket will always be my favorite. I generally smoke pork when I want an easy day of Qing. It's almost impossible to screw up a pork butt.
I've had briskets smoke for up to 24 hours only to have them come out average.
Frustrating to say the least. Even if you stick to top grade beef it can be hit or miss.

For you smoke masters, have you tried Brazilian BBQ? Or Korean bulgogi or kalbi (which I guess are really more grilling)?

I've used Korean barbeque sauce for grilling a few times but thats about it.

You gotta find a Korean restaurant with the grill built right into the table where they bring you out plate after plate of meats and veggies and all manner of goodness that you grill yourself right there at the table and eat it with various sauces or wrapped in cabbage leaves when it's done as well as you like it. Unbelievably delicious. You can get short ribs and tongue and whatever you want. At some of the better places you can get a plate of raw, slightly seasoned ground meat with some minced apple on top that you just eat as is (which I guess is no longer in the category of grilling). BA-ZAM is that good!

I've used Korean barbeque sauce for grilling a few times but thats about it.

You gotta find a Korean restaurant with the grill built right into the table where they bring you out plate after plate of meats and veggies and all manner of goodness that you grill yourself right there at the table and eat it with various sauces or wrapped in cabbage leaves when it's done as well as you like it. Unbelievably delicious. You can get short ribs and tongue and whatever you want. At some of the better places you can get a plate of raw, slightly seasoned ground meat with some minced apple on top that you just eat as is (which I guess is no longer in the category of grilling). BA-ZAM is that good!

They had a Korean place like that in Virginia when I lived there but theres none where I live now, I remember trying bulgogi for the first time outside of Keesler AFB in Mississipi they had a Korean restaurant, I loved it.

For you smoke masters, have you tried Brazilian BBQ? Or Korean bulgogi or kalbi (which I guess are really more grilling)?

Haven't tried it. I'll definitely check it out though.
There is some confusion out there as to what constitutes BBQ. It's amazing how many people dont know the difference.
If you're cooking on an indirect flame at around 220 (offset smoker) and it takes forever....
you're BBQing. And of course you're using real wood rather then charcoal.

After checking...thats most definitely not BBQ. It does look good though.

Forum List

Back