Didn't understand my passport?

Captain Caveman

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2020
England

Disappointed holidaymakers whose EU travel plans were ruined when they were caught out by the "10-year-passport rule" have been speaking to the BBC.

Until 2018, UK travellers could transfer up to nine months from an old passport on to a new one. But post-Brexit, EU countries will not accept passports more than 10 years old.

Those who were unaware of the change were turned away by passport control

Ok, Brexit vote was 2016, so things were gonna change. From 1 Jan 2021, things changed as we left the EU.

So anywhere from 4 to 8 years, some holidaymakers had no idea that passport rules changed.

Brexit has highlighted three types of people

1) Those that are normal and adapt to change

2) Those that didn't think to check for new rules

3) Those that are still crying about Brexit, Remoaners

Whenever we've been in the process of booking holidays, we always clarify passport, visas, and any guidelines relevent to the destination with the travel agent.

Shit happens

If your Passport says Expired
Get a new one

Last edited:
You don't get TOLD, Tit, you look at the government website that continually lists changes to laws etc..

The old saying, "Ignorance of the law is no excuse".

You look at your passport and see that it is expired
Do you just assume you are allowed to still use it, or do you check to be sure?

And when they book their holiday, they can also double check with the travel agent queries on passports, visas, foreign currency etc... Another old saying, "Never assume".

When we wee in the EU we flew to Spain and I lost my passport
. Couldnt find it anywhere as I got off the plane. Went up to the desk and they just waved me thru. Told me to take it to the police station if it turned up.

Those were better days. I would probably be shot these brexit days.

Forum List

Back